Purchase invoice and shipping charges

Hi,

When we are purchasing from our international supplier we usually pay shipping expense separately, and we have a separate account name for that. but the problem is its not showing in the ledger report of the international supplier for that certain shipping expense, we have to go the shipping expense ledger and its not an efficient and faster way.

We want the shipping expense to show in the general ledger of our international supplier.
For example, we order XXX product from ABC Company in Singapore, the total value lets say $500 plus shipping expense plus $150.
We will still make separate entry for the shipping expense, but we have to let it show on the ledger of ABC Company of Singapore and for which Purchase order was that for.

Kindly advise what we have to do.

Have you looked at Landed Cost Voucher?

hi,

whats your purpose to show it on the ledger? what is the point of contact with supplier in accounting terms? as adding this to supplier ledger will change the accounting balance for your payable.

are you paying abc company for the 150 shipment?

if you do then its related to account payable to your supplier, then you can also make a “service” item for your particular shipment and set it as expense item and you re buting that to your supplier. then you link the account payable with that supplier also.

you can also make that landed cost voucher

or if you simply wish to link the document to your supplier on the expense journal you can add “link” to your supplier jn the expense journal and then make a custom report with this and link it to your supplier doctype.

hopefully this is helpful.
thanks
anton

1 Like

Dear sir

We want the shipping expense to show in the general ledger of our international supplier.
For example, we order XXX product from ABC Company in Singapore, the total value lets say $500 plus shipping expense plus $150.
We will still make separate entry for the shipping expense, but we have to let it show on the ledger of ABC Company of Singapore and for which Purchase order was that for.

Kindly advise what we have to do.

Hi Irene,

Can you answer some of my question first:

1. do you pay the ABC company for shipping expense?
  2. do you add your shipping expense to your C.O.G.S or not?
  3. do you expense your shipping cost into the expense section in the P/L statement?
  4. Do you need to track the shipping cost to the related shipping document?

Please answer to that question and i will try to make solution for you
Thanks
Anton

Hi Irene,

If I understand you correctly, when you say you want to show the shipping expense in the GL of the international supplier, do you really mean that you want a report for the international supplier detailing the purchase order and the corresponding shipping expense which was paid to another vendor?

If the above is what you mean, you just need to create a custom field in the purchase invoice for purchase order reference. When you pay the shipping invoice, refer the purchase order number in the custom field you created. Then all you need now is to create a custom report to show the purchase order and the corresponding shipping expense by vendor. You can even show the shipping company you used for the purchase order for that vendor.

That is one solution out of many that ERPNext is capable of. It is very flexible. You just need to find one that fits you.

Cheers.

problem is shipping expenses also show in the supplier general ledger. but only purchases item amount shown we want show shipping charges also in supplier ledger . how ?

Hi Irene,

I am not sure what is your needs, however this is what i can share from my own little experience.
hope this help

create a purchase invoice with service item of “shipping charges”

This assume that you paid the shipping expenses to the same supplier you bought your product, however this charges is going to be “expensed” not “added” to your product value.

the above purchase invoice will create a journal like this:

if you can see all the journal entry are already included in supplier accoun on the supplier account receivable of 594 because of item value of “500”, shipping amount of "40 and taxes of “54”. all three journal are linked to supplier “supp1”.

You can easily find the link if you search from the report search bar.
This is my search result for all the document linked to “supp1” in the general ledger report.

then you can also make a report from “report generator” to make a report that link your supplier transactions with other expenses/item generated from that particular supplier/purchase order like this

Again I am so sorry that maybe this wont answer your question as I am trying to answer it with little knowledge that i have from your information.
However you can also make a customized report and tailor it to your needs as you see fit.

Thanks and best regards
anton

1 Like

This is good solution to the scenario

Very good sample pak.

Please help to advise about sales invoice and shipping charges?

we sell item to ABC Company.

1. ABC company pay for shipping expense included in sales invoice.
  2. later we engage transporter to send. we pay the transporter same shipping cost we charge ABC Company

My setup

Sales invoice:
Sales (K)
Shipment charges(K)
Debtor ABC (D)

Payment Received:
Bank (D)
Debtor ABC (K)

Purchase Invoice from Transporter:
Creditor Transporter (K)
Shipment Cost (D)