The User Permissions feature in Frappe is a source of a big headache https://frappe.github.io/erpnext/user/manual/en/setting-up/users-and-permissions/user-permissions
The use case for this is to restrict users by Company or Territory or some other value in a document.
The current way to set it is to go to Role Permission Manager and check every document where you want the user permissions to be applied (for example in Quotations or Sales Invoices).
This is very hard to set and in our experience, users find it very hard to configure and maintain this.
So here is what we are proposing
- Remove the “Apply User Permissions” setting from Role Permissions
- Users permissions will apply to all documents where the link field is present. For example if you set Company=X, this will automatically apply to all documents where “company” is a field.
- If you want some fields to be exempt, there is still the “Ignore User Permissions” check on the field settings which you can customize via “Customize Form”
What will happen when we implement this
Once this is implemented, user permissions will automatically apply to all documents where it is set. So in a sense your current permissions will become stricter, unless you define exceptions
- User Permissions will become easy to understand and design
- It will be a new rule-set just like Role Permissions and become independent from Role Permissions
- No more trial-and-error and guess work!