[Proposal] Manufacturing Roadmap Apr - Jun 2020

Currently I am working on this part, by default system will consume the materials as per BOM and give provision to edit consume qty in the popup for the extra materials. Regarding second question, this is simple, we will add Button in the completed work order to transfer the materials from WIP to raw materials stock (This will be manual process)

Did you mentioned somewhere in this POST about this feature? or I have missed?

Will consider this parts in the next roadmap. If you have more requirements, kindly share with us so that we will create the next Roadmap accordingly.

Would be good to have a PLM integration, say to FreeCad inside ERPNext. Oode I suppose have.

1 Like

Hi community, these are great new features. May I know if these will be added to v12?

Will this be “manual” only in the sense that the production user has to click the button and verify the items to transfer back to raw materials stock? Or do you mean that the button will take them to the ledger and they have to do it all manually?

No, I did not mention in this post because yesterday is the first time I saw this post.

Due to how this was stated I thought someone has been keeping track of the important manufacturing elements that are missing. Scrap Management is probably the 3rd most important part of the manufacturing process after BOM/WorkOrders, and accounting ledger entries.

It has been a sore spot on the manufacturing module now for several years. In previous posts about it going back over at least 2 years now the core team promised to address it in the next revisit to manufacturing.

And now you tell us it will have to wait for several more years until you get around to manufacturing again?!?

I know that @JayRam and others have discussed this in the forums and tagged core team members into the discussions many times over.

So why continue to ignore this important part of the manufacturing process and cripple the module yet again?

The complaints about this missing function already go back over 4 years!!! Go ahead. Search the forums yourself to see. At some point someone even wrote part of the function and had it setup is a PR but it NEVER got done and that was several years ago as well.

This is the missing function that already forces me to use other ERP systems with my clients that are manufacturing focused. There are plenty of bells and whistles in the new features, yet nothing to solve a problem that occurs every week in every manufacturing environment.

As I said before… I give up. This system may never be ready for real manufacturing.

And… NO, I am not going to spend a fortune again to tear apart a module to fix it only to have almost all of my PRs skipped over. I did that for POS and I am not up for that kind of headache again.

BKM

See these:

2 Likes

Sorry If I have ignored but I don’t have any intention to ignore the features which you have listed. The features which you feel important might others not feel it important and the features which other thinks important might be not important for you. I have posted the Roadmap on 29th March and today is the 1st June, no one has mentioned about the scrap management(for subcontract) which meant somehow they are managing with the existing system. Many people has raised the real problems that they are facing and we are working on this.

We have merged the PRs which resolved the generic problems, you need to understand this first. I really don’t understand what you want to prove here, you came last and now you want everything.

Hi All,

I have run into the following problem of using sub-contracted sub-assemblies in a Production Plan.
The following link is a discussion I started stating the problem: Using sub-contracted sub-assemblies in a Production Plan

But essentially here it is:
Hi All,

We create a production plan for a product, there are a number of sub-assemblies that occur for the product, some of these are done in house (this is fine, the production plan creates work orders for these). BUT some sub-assemblies have external sub-contracted activities (in this case, it is the electo-coating of metal work and the cutting, drilling and tapping of heatsinks). The ERP creates a work order for these products as well, but I need to use a purchase order in order to subcontract work.

If I submit the work order (Stock Entry using Material Transfer for Manufacture) and use the purchase order to create a Stock Entry using Send to Subcontractor. It will count as a double entry.

Essentially what I would like to know: is there a set procedure for sub-contracted sub-assemblies when using Production Plans? And if there is, what is it?

Please provide feedback on whether or not others run into similar issues.

(PS I have a “non-ideal”/“kind of” solution for this (check link))

1 Like

@rohit_w - As a made to order food producer, options for a tablet app would be great.

Personal phones are hard for the team since hands are often covered in food material.

Operators are processing multiple jobs, need the ability to jump around to different job cards to start stop.

Would job cards sync across devices? Could a floor lead be able to monitor and start stop missed items?

I think, we should have checkbox to make sub-contracted purchase order against the sub-assembly items (similar we have to make work order against sub-assembly items).

1 Like

The app will be use in mobile as well on tablet with android / ios. You need to connect your mobile app with the live erpnext instance, and system will use the same database.

2 Likes

Hi!

This looks great so far!

I’m supporting two manufacturing businesses (running ERPNext), and both of them would really like some improvement of scrapping functionality during manufacturing.

The current documentation only focuses on BOM scrap, but I think we should make an effort to address scrap during production, whether it is one of the raw materials being converted or the produced part. I don’t know if this issue has been pushed aside over the years as some work may be needed in the Accounts module.

Other ERP systems have dedicated forms to handle scrap. Maybe even a default Stock Entry Type.

Or at the very least, just a stance/explanation of how companies can handle manufacturing scrap

I’m getting much better over time with development, so I may be even able to help/test. But first we need to discuss the plan or possibilities

3 Likes

Does the new manufacturing road map also address the issue of 1 operator handling multiple workstations. This is some times a norm in manufacturing where in 1 operator can handle multiple workstations but I guess in v12 the job card has a validation and does not allow for same operator doing the job card time overlap.

Yes, this would be a very welcome feature. In our production 1 person operates 2-4 workstations.

Whatever happened to this roadmap? There were some good ideas/proposals here.

When can we expect these features?

Can we get an update on this roadmap? What help is needed by the community?

Hello All

Thanks for the sharing your feedback!
I am replying to this post after long time because I was tested Covid positive and was on the leave for almost one month. Now I am good and soon will add the new manufacturing roadmap in which I’ll add the points which community has suggested in this thread. Regarding roadmap APR - Jun 2020 most of the features are developed and added in the version 13-beta. Few are left which I’ll add in the next roadmap.

Thanks, Rohit

15 Likes

Good to hear that you are healthy @rohit_w. Take care of yourself.

1 Like

Happy you are healthy and well now @rohit_w

Do take care of yourself.

1 Like

What MES do you use? We are planning to develop Vue based MES for Job Card and add few custom fields there. Would like to avoid duplication of work.

our MES is MS Access based.