As an offshoot of this comment -> [IMP] Code of Conduct regarding Open vs Closed Source and the conversation within which it was made, I’m proposing the development of a Frappe App Directory where developers who have created functionality in PRs and custom apps can showcase their efforts. The benefits would be:
- An easily searchable directory of apps and PRs clearly categorised by domain and functionality
- An ability for the community to rate submissions based on their quality and impact
- An ability to identify and link related efforts with each other to reduce duplication of effort and also to identify complementary functionality
- An ability to identify developers providing useful content
- The ability to invite recognised developers to update listed submissions with a view to talking them from developments with potential to high quality products worthy of being integrated into the core. These could either be the original developers or others who indicate interest.
- Ability for selected developers to get paid for their improvements to existing submissions
The idea is to enable developers showcase their custom apps that could be useful to others, gain recognition for their work, reduce duplicated effort and possibly act as a revenue earning platform for developers who are willing to share their work.
With this in mind, I have started drawing up a specification document here that describes the doctypes that will be needed to build such an application:
The document allows comments. Please feel free to add comments to it. If they are useful and have enough support I’ll include them in specification. Once we have enough feedback indicating that the community is interested in this idea, we’ll finalize the specifications and post a job onto the forum for its implementation.
@rmehta has indicated that the foundation might be willing to pick up the bill.
Please feel free to contribute your ideas towards creating the proposed platform.