Pip alert when running bench update

I am still getting this alert despite having run pip install --upgrade pip from within the bench directory as suggested in other post seems bench update reverts to 9.

You are using pip version 9.0.3, however version 10.0.1 is available.
You should consider upgrading via the ‘pip install --upgrade pip’ command.

please link to that post?

/home/frappe/frappe-bench$ pip install --upgrade pip
Requirement already up-to-date: pip in /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages (1 0.0.1)

so why the error this is new the last few times its said I had 9 installed

Ignore this

its fine but why not just fix it?
Updating Python libraries…
INFO:bench.utils:./env/bin/pip install --upgrade pip==9.0.3
Collecting pip==9.0.3
Using cached https://files.pythonhosted.org/packages/ac/95/a05b56bb975efa78d3557efa36acaf9cf5d2fd0ee0062060493687432e03/pip-9.0.3-py2.py3-none-any.whl
Installing collected packages: pip
Found existing installation: pip 10.0.1
Uninstalling pip-10.0.1:
Successfully uninstalled pip-10.0.1
Successfully installed pip-9.0.3
You are using pip version 9.0.3, however version 10.0.1 is available.
You should consider upgrading via the ‘pip install --upgrade pip’ command.

@codingCoffee can answer this better.

The pip in question is the one present in your “frappe-bench” path, at the location env/bin/pip. pip 10 had a few problems associated with it, and was breaking a few things. Hence it is hard coded in the codebase to use pip v9.0.3
Those problems have been fixed now, and maybe in a few days we’ll remove the hardcoded part and upgrade pip to the latest version.

4 Likes

thank you I always prefer to not fix a problem that doesn’t exist perhaps you could have hardcoded that 9 was there for a reason so that we didn’t have to run the update several times look forward to the code change…

Thanks the the update codingCoffee

The community is indebted to you - you contribute much heavy lifting to keep things running on an even keel.

1 Like