Permissions

Hi,

I think it would be easier to assign Documents to Roles in the permission manager than Roles to Documents. It is more intuitive and easier to figure out documents required for a particular responsibility rather than responsibilities required for a particular document. Also given there are about 109 documents for 27 roles X 2 (average number of levels) it is tough to choose from 50 odd roles for each of the 109 documents in would be easier to choose from 109 documents for each of the 50 odd roles.

Thanks & regards,
Sonal Ramnathkar

Dear Sonal,

Thanks for feature suggestion.

Actually administrator would set the role for very limited forms. The document for which administrator amends permission are much less than no. of roles.

There are many system generated documents for which role definition is very rare. We will consider this as a request for limited options in Document field of permission manager.

I believe selecting document for defining role is more intuitive and approved by customers.

Thanks and Regards,

Umair Sayyed
um…@erpnext.com
www.erpnext.com

---- ERPNext - World's most affordable ERP ----

On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 12:54 PM, Sonal <so…@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi,

I think it would be easier to assign Documents to Roles in the permission manager than Roles to Documents. It is more intuitive and easier to figure out documents required for a particular responsibility rather than responsibilities required for a particular document. Also given there are about 109 documents for 27 roles X 2 (average number of levels) it is tough to choose from 50 odd roles for each of the 109 documents in would be easier to choose from 109 documents for each of the 50 odd roles.

Thanks & regards,
Sonal Ramnathkar

Hi Sonal,

Appreciate your perspective.

This page is due for redesign and we will surely consider this.

Maybe we can give both options, you can either select Role or Document.

best,
Rushabh

On 12-Jul-2012, at 12:54 PM, Sonal wrote:

Hi,

Thanks & regards,
Sonal Ramnathkar

Hi Umair,

Actually sat and counted the documents available in the drop down box in the permission manager. There were 109 documents available for modification and role assignment.

Then counted the number of roles available and made a table as attached.

To be able to correctly assign roles to documents you need to know each document very well and figure out which is true from the developers perspective but to expect any system admin to be as well versed with each and every document available so as to effective manage who shares responsibility or not for which document is unrealistic.

In order to not depend on your preconfigured assignments which will be necessary to achieve some scale of operation especially if you are planning an imap facility allowing multiple outgoing emails i.e. multiple responsibilities as defined by the organisation then you will have to make the permission manager easier for the system admin who does not know the details of all the fields in all the documents.

Best,
Sonal

On Thursday, July 12, 2012 1:04:44 PM UTC+5:30, Umair Sayyed wrote:
Dear Sonal,

Actually administrator would set the role for very limited forms. The document for which administrator amends permission are much less than no. of roles.

There are many system generated documents for which role definition is very rare. We will consider this as a request for limited options in Document field of permission manager.

I believe selecting document for defining role is more intuitive and approved by customers.

Thanks and Regards,

Umair Sayyed
um…@erpnext.com
www.erpnext.com

---- ERPNext - World’s most affordable ERP ----

Hi,

Thanks & regards,
Sonal Ramnathkar

Hi Rushab,

Thanks for considering.

To be able to assign roles to documents you have to be very well versed with each and every document to decide who you would like to use this document and to what extent. It is not always possible for a system admin to be this well versed with each and every of the 109 documents.

It is easier for him/ her to be well versed with each of the 27 roles and what they entail in his/ her organisation and assign responsibility for documents/ parts of documents based on that. Just about what you know better. Developers will obviously know their documents better while system admins will know their role definitions better. 

Obviously when the system admin is well versed with each and every document this matter will become irrelevant but then I will be really scared of loosing that employee and it shouldn’t be necessary to be that well versed. 

Regards,
Sonal

On Thursday, July 12, 2012 1:07:43 PM UTC+5:30, Rushabh Mehta wrote:
Hi Sonal,

best,
Rushabh

Hi,

Thanks & regards,
Sonal Ramnathkar

Hi Umair,

Don’t know where my reply to you disappeared but is pretty similar to what I’ve posted below. 

Also find attached the excel sheet where I have listed everything I found in the drop down menu for Documents in the Permission Manager and all the roles available for assignment to each user.

There are 109 documents that can be assigned and 27 roles. Each role can further be broken up into levels based on the extent of the document available for assignment.

Regards,
Sonal

Dear Sonal,

Thanks and Regards,

Umair Sayyed
um…@erpnext.com
www.erpnext.com

---- ERPNext - World’s most affordable ERP ----

Hi,

Thanks & regards,
Sonal Ramnathkar

Hi Sonal,

I received your first reply also :slight_smile:

Rushabh looks positive on this. We shall update you when UI is simplified. Any call on one application for 2 companies or 2 separate application for both?

Also, i emailed details of your channel partner. If interested, shall be glad to visit you.

Thanks and Regards,

Umair Sayyed
um…@erpnext.com
www.erpnext.com

On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 2:58 PM, Sonal <so…@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Umair,

Don't know where my reply to you disappeared but is pretty similar to what I've posted below.

Also find attached the excel sheet where I have listed everything I found in the drop down menu for Documents in the Permission Manager and all the roles available for assignment to each user.

There are 109 documents that can be assigned and 27 roles. Each role can further be broken up into levels based on the extent of the document available for assignment.

Regards,
Sonal

Dear Sonal,

Thanks and Regards,

Umair Sayyed
um…@erpnext.com
www.erpnext.com

Hi,

Thanks & regards,
Sonal Ramnathkar

Sorry getting used to user groups :-) Good to know about implementation of my changes was getting really confused trying to figure out what to do.

Unfortunately I have plenty more suggestions…just stuff that makes it tougher for me…might not be the best thing for you to do but will send them in time and you guys can judge for yourselves.

Yes I've decided to separate the 2 companies. It’s much easier that way for implementation but shall do it sequentially.

Also as an exercise am going to implement Eudora myself and possibly get your partner for Ivory which will need some personalisation.

Yes we would be glad to have her visit too.

Thanks & regards,

Sonal Ramnathkar

Director

Eudora Email Signature

Sent: 12 July 2012 15:58
To: Sonal Ramnathkar
Subject: Re: [erpnext-user-forum] Permissions

Hi Sonal,

I received your first reply also :)

Rushabh looks positive on this. We shall update you when UI is simplified. Any call on one application for 2 companies or 2 separate application for both?

Also, i emailed details of your channel partner. If interested, shall be glad to visit you.

--
Thanks and Regards,
Umair Sayyed
um...@erpnext.com
www.erpnext.com

On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 2:58 PM, Sonal <so...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Umair,

Don't know where my reply to you disappeared but is pretty similar to what I've posted below. 

Also find attached the excel sheet where I have listed everything I found in the drop down menu for Documents in the Permission Manager and all the roles available for assignment to each user.

Regards,

Sonal

Dear Sonal,

--
Thanks and Regards,
Umair Sayyed
um...@erpnext.com
www.erpnext.com

On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 12:54 PM, Sonal <so...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi,

Thanks & regards,

Sonal Ramnathkar

Thanks Sonal,

Points noted :) - will give both options in the upcoming release.

By the way, there is a mega list of features suggestions at this page:

https://github.com/webnotes/erpnext/wiki/Feature-Suggestions

We really hope to get going on those one by one - with our current strength we are doing the best we can, but do keep it in mind that there is lots to be done!

best,
Rushabh

-----------------------------------------------------
ERPNext - Business Operating System

W: https://erpnext.com
T: @rushabh_mehta

On 12-Jul-2012, at 2:03 PM, Sonal wrote:

Hi Rushab,

Thanks for considering.

To be able to assign roles to documents you have to be very well versed with each and every document to decide who you would like to use this document and to what extent. It is not always possible for a system admin to be this well versed with each and every of the 109 documents.

It is easier for him/ her to be well versed with each of the 27 roles and what they entail in his/ her organisation and assign responsibility for documents/ parts of documents based on that. Just about what you know better. Developers will obviously know their documents better while system admins will know their role definitions better. 

Obviously when the system admin is well versed with each and every document this matter will become irrelevant but then I will be really scared of loosing that employee and it shouldn't be necessary to be that well versed. 

Regards,
Sonal

On Thursday, July 12, 2012 1:07:43 PM UTC+5:30, Rushabh Mehta wrote:
Hi Sonal,

best,
Rushabh

Hi,

Thanks & regards,
Sonal Ramnathkar