Payment Entry doesn't count against % Billed

I’ve noticed that the % billed field for my Purchase Order doesn’t include Payment Entries that are made against a Purchase Order.

For example, if I create a Purchase order, then make a partial payment towards it through the Payment Entry tool (many of our suppliers require a 50% payment upfront then the rest upon delivery), the % billed for the PO still shows as 0%.

Is that intentional, or an oversight?

Hi @Ben_Cornwell_Mott

Payment entry against purchase order is used to make the advance payment against the order(see attachment). To make % billed 100 percent, you need to create the invoice against the purchase order. If you have made the advance payment and then create the invoice, system pull the advance payment on the invoice

Purchase Order:

Advance payment on purchase invoice

Made invoice against the order, percentage showing 100

Thanks for responding @rohit_w.

The issue isn’t in showing when it is 100% paid, it’s seeing that it is 50% paid.

Here is an example of what is happening:

1. Create a PO and issue it to the supplier (INR$ 12,000). Percent Billing: 0% (correct)
  2. Create a Payment Entry against the PO for INR$6,0000. Percent Billing: 0% (should be 50%)
  3. Create a Purchase Invoice for the PO (pulls the PE and charges another INR$6,000 to my account). Percent Billing: 100% (correct)

Once the full payment has been made, the billing percentage shows correctly, but before that (after step 2) the percent billing is showing as 0. This can be confusing when trying to quickly establish whether we have paid suppliers up front for a PO. Right now, my accountant creates a report for Purchase Orders and shows the % billed column, and all the entries are either 0% billed or 100% billed, despite the fact we have several that are 30% paid or 50% paid.

I hope this clarifies the problem,

Ben

It seems like the only way to have the % billing show a partial billing is if you only receive part of the goods and invoice based on that. Is that correct?

I feel like there is something missing here…

Hi @Ben_Cornwell_Mott,

Yes you are right,

1. Make payment entry against the PO, make purchase receipt against the PO and then make purchase invoice against the purchase receipt for example you have PO with Item Macbook for 10 qty and then make PR for 5 qty and Purchase invoice for 5 qty for 50% billing.

2. Make purchase receipt against the PO and then make purchase invoice against the purchase receipt for example you have PO with Item Macbook for 10 qty and then make PR for 5 qty and Purchase invoice for 5 qty for 50% billing and then payment entry against the invoice.

You can see how this can be inaccurate if payments are made against a PO before it’s been received and the percent billed still shows 0%?

Hi @Ben_Cornwell_Mott,

This is correct because you have not made invoice against the PO but made advance payment. So when you actual made the invoice you don’t need to make payment again.

Please check Dropbox - File Deleted - Simplify your life

In the video, I have made PO > Payment Entry(advance) > Invoice (partial)

OK Good. I think we are on the same page.
I created a github issue for this: [BUG] Percent Billed does not include Payment Entries · Issue #6643 · frappe/erpnext · GitHub

Hi @Ben_Cornwell_Mott,

No, we are not on the same page. Payment entry and invoice are two different entities, you can make the payment entry(advance) against the PO before making of an invoice. Bill percentage in the PO is depend on the purchase invoice not on the payment entry.
In some business customer has to make the advance payment entry first and they get the invoice at the time of delivery. For example when I purchase some product from the Amazon I need to pay them first. They gives me the bill at the time of delivery of the product.

OK… I understand the discrepancy here now.

I have been considering % Billed to be the same as % Paid, which it is not. I hadn’t noticed the Advance Paid field in the PO document. Having that makes it easier to analyse what has been paid.

Thanks for the help.

How does this case work for Sales Orders to the customer?