Packaging Items and Packing slip configuration

Hi All - I am excited about ERPNext and beyond the software the great support from the team.

I am trying to figure out how to set up ERPNext to support our operations and I could do with some guidance on Items configuration.

Buying Module

We normally issue a PO to a vendor for a certain Quantity. Each item as a Packaging Quantity (i.e. we order by pieces but the vendor will group our order into our packaging quantity) Normally this gives a remainder of 0 but sometimes we might have a shipment where only half a box is full.

User Case A: Item 1 has a packaging quantity of 150pcs. We order 900pcs therefore we know that we can expect 6 boxes. 6 boxes should appear on our Purchase Order.

User Case B:  Item 1 has a packaging quantity of 150pcs. We order 850pcs therefore we know that we can expect 7 boxes. 7 boxes should appear on our Purchase Order. (i.e. we can order non multiple of the packaging quantity)

Selling Module

Issue a SO to a customer for a certain Quantity. Again as above, we should be able to list on the packing slip Box quantity shipped and individual Pcs quantity. Vendor box quantity and Customer box quantity normally do not change however we should be able to have flexibility in choosing how many pieces we ship to the customer.

Stock Module

On the packing slip for our customer we should then have:

Item 1  (based on SO)
Description  (based on SO)
Net Weight (based on SO)
Gross Weight  (based on SO)
Number of boxes (based on SO)

Item 2  (based on SO)
Net Weight (based on SO)

Total number of pieces being shipped: Quantity Item 1 + Quantity Item 2
Total number of boxes being shipped: Number of boxes Item 1 + Number of boxes Item 2
Total Net weight shipment: Net weight Item 1 + Net weight Item 2
Total gross weight shipment: Gross weight Item 1 + gross weight Item 2

Any thoughts on how to go about this? We are hosted on frappe cloud.

–

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "ERPNext User's Forum" group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to erpnext-user-forum+un…@googlegroups.com.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/erpnext-user-forum/9d693992-edcb-4d79-9666-2b4f317804b9%40googlegroups.com.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

1 Like
As for the first part of your question (user case A & B): this can be handled by setting the conversion factor between Box and Pieces. For your detailed Packing slip, I guess you will need a custom Javascript to do that job. 

On Sunday, June 22, 2014 8:50:14 AM UTC+2, Federico Torreti wrote:
Hi All - I am excited about ERPNext and beyond the software the great support from the team.

I am trying to figure out how to set up ERPNext to support our operations and I could do with some guidance on Items configuration.

Buying Module

We normally issue a PO to a vendor for a certain Quantity. Each item as a Packaging Quantity (i.e. we order by pieces but the vendor will group our order into our packaging quantity) Normally this gives a remainder of 0 but sometimes we might have a shipment where only half a box is full.

User Case A: Item 1 has a packaging quantity of 150pcs. We order 900pcs therefore we know that we can expect 6 boxes. 6 boxes should appear on our Purchase Order.

User Case B:  Item 1 has a packaging quantity of 150pcs. We order 850pcs therefore we know that we can expect 7 boxes. 7 boxes should appear on our Purchase Order. (i.e. we can order non multiple of the packaging quantity)

Selling Module

Issue a SO to a customer for a certain Quantity. Again as above, we should be able to list on the packing slip Box quantity shipped and individual Pcs quantity. Vendor box quantity and Customer box quantity normally do not change however we should be able to have flexibility in choosing how many pieces we ship to the customer.

Stock Module

Item 1  (based on SO)
Net Weight (based on SO)

Item 2  (based on SO)
Net Weight (based on SO)

Total number of boxes being shipped: Number of boxes Item 1 + Number of boxes Item 2

–

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "ERPNext User's Forum" group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to erpnext-user-forum+un…@googlegroups.com.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/erpnext-user-forum/41f20663-853d-4e2d-8e3f-6bd1f0acbc44%40googlegroups.com.

Hi Robert

Thanks for your reply.

- For the conversion part I found this can only be set for the purchasing side and not the salling side. Could you point me in a more detailed direction on how to address this?
- As per the custom javascript, any thoughts on how to set that up? Sounds like to me I may need to add some custom fields and then call them from the packing slip template, any guidance would be very much appreciated

Thanks,
Fede

On Sunday, 22 June 2014 21:09:10 UTC+8, robert wrote:
As for the first part of your question (user case A & B): this can be handled by setting the conversion factor between Box and Pieces. For your detailed Packing slip, I guess you will need a custom Javascript to do that job. 

Buying Module

Selling Module

Stock Module

Item 1  (based on SO)
Net Weight (based on SO)

Item 2  (based on SO)
Net Weight (based on SO)

–

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/erpnext-user-forum/ac390fd9-ceaa-4fe8-a002-1dec9e3517e8%40googlegroups.com.

can you reply?

@rushabh_mehta

Begin forwarded message:

Subject: [erpnext-user-forum] Re: Packaging Items and Packing slip configuration
Date: 23 June 2014 5:20:23 am IST

Hi Robert

Thanks for your reply.

- For the conversion part I found this can only be set for the purchasing side and not the salling side. Could you point me in a more detailed direction on how to address this?
- As per the custom javascript, any thoughts on how to set that up? Sounds like to me I may need to add some custom fields and then call them from the packing slip template, any guidance would be very much appreciated

Thanks,
Fede

Buying Module

Selling Module

Stock Module

Item 1  (based on SO)
Net Weight (based on SO)

Item 2  (based on SO)
Net Weight (based on SO)

-- 
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to erpnext-user-forum+un...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/erpnext-user-forum/ac390fd9-ceaa-4fe8-a002-1dec9e3517e8%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Just a thought - Could using a BOM be a work-around?

On Monday, 23 June 2014 07:50:23 UTC+8, Federico Torreti wrote:
Hi Robert

Thanks for your reply.

Thanks,
Fede

Buying Module

Selling Module

Stock Module

Item 1  (based on SO)
Net Weight (based on SO)

Item 2  (based on SO)
Net Weight (based on SO)

–

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/erpnext-user-forum/fb4057b7-2d14-495f-8e59-e04ba757bce1%40googlegroups.com.

You can also use Sales BOM if you want to track the stock of your components but not the packs

On 23-Jun-2014, at 4:22 pm, Federico Torreti <to...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Robert

Thanks for your reply.

Thanks,
Fede

Buying Module

Selling Module

Stock Module

Item 1  (based on SO)
Net Weight (based on SO)

Item 2  (based on SO)
Net Weight (based on SO)

-- 
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to erpnext-user-forum+un...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/erpnext-user-forum/fb4057b7-2d14-495f-8e59-e04ba757bce1%40googlegroups.com.

–

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/erpnext-user-forum/7F5A68E7-9B82-487F-A128-4076510EBF25%40gmail.com.

Rushabh - Thank you. 

What are any other alternatives I could consider in your view?
The Sales BOM may require me to set-up alternative Items which I wouldn't like to do as it may create confusion when placing the sales order. 

Put it simply, is there a simple way to assign a packaging rule for a given Item number when it comes to sales orders?

Fede

On Monday, 23 June 2014 19:08:11 UTC+8, Rushabh Mehta wrote:
You can also use Sales BOM if you want to track the stock of your components but not the packs

Hi Robert

Thanks for your reply.

Thanks,
Fede

Buying Module

Selling Module

Stock Module

Item 1  (based on SO)
Net Weight (based on SO)

Item 2  (based on SO)
Net Weight (based on SO)

-- 
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/erpnext-user-forum/fb4057b7-2d14-495f-8e59-e04ba757bce1%40googlegroups.com.

–

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/erpnext-user-forum/52a04577-6aab-40b2-b95e-e7ed92987709%40googlegroups.com.

Hello Federico,

You can create Packing Slip against (draft) Delivery Note.

https://erpnext.com/user-guide/stock/delivery-note (check Packing Slip section)

In Packing Slip, you can mention item's qty per box, their net weight and gross weight. You can capture weight details of an item in its master itself.

For totals, like total boxes, pieces, gross weights, net weight, you can make custom report on Packing Slip.

For the reference of customer, you will have to provide Delivery Note and Packing Slip details separately.

Hope this helps.

On Mon, Jun 23, 2014 at 5:57 PM, Federico Torreti <to...@gmail.com> wrote:
Rushabh - Thank you.

The Sales BOM may require me to set-up alternative Items which I wouldn't like to do as it may create confusion when placing the sales order.

Put it simply, is there a simple way to assign a packaging rule for a given Item number when it comes to sales orders?

Fede

Hi Robert

Thanks for your reply.

Thanks,
Fede

Buying Module

User Case B: Item 1 has a packaging quantity of 150pcs. We order 850pcs therefore we know that we can expect 7 boxes. 7 boxes should appear on our Purchase Order. (i.e. we can order non multiple of the packaging quantity)

Selling Module

Stock Module

Item 1 (based on SO)
Description (based on SO)
Net Weight (based on SO)
Gross Weight (based on SO)

Item 2 (based on SO)
Description (based on SO)
Net Weight (based on SO)
Gross Weight (based on SO)

--
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to erpnext-user-forum+un...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/erpnext-user-forum/fb4057b7-2d14-495f-8e59-e04ba757bce1%40googlegroups.com.

–

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/erpnext-user-forum/52a04577-6aab-40b2-b95e-e7ed92987709%40googlegroups.com.

--
Thanks and Regards,
Umair Sayyed
www.erpnext.com
Hi Umair - Let me rephrase the question a little as I am not sure we are looking at the same issue:

Is there a way that for a given item, I can set what is the packaging quantity so that when I place a sales order for certain quantity of pieces, a packing slip can be automatically created from the delivery note containing number of boxes being shipped out as in: sales order qty / packaging quantity (set at item level) = nr boxes being shipped

For example:

Item 1 UOM = EA (Pieces)
Item 1 Packaging = 100 pcs (every box contains 100 pieces of only Item 1)

Sales Order for Item 1: 1,000 pcs

Packing Slip from Delivery note: 10 boxes being shipped out (1,000 (total sales order) / 100 (packaging quantity))

Hope this clarifies.

Best,
Fede

On Monday, 23 June 2014 23:20:07 UTC+8, Umair Sayyed wrote:
Hello Federico,

https://erpnext.com/user-guide/stock/delivery-note (check Packing Slip section)

In Packing Slip, you can mention item's qty per box, their net weight and gross weight. You can capture weight details of an item in its master itself.

For totals, like total boxes, pieces, gross weights, net weight, you can make custom report on Packing Slip.

For the reference of customer, you will have to provide Delivery Note and Packing Slip details separately.

Hope this helps.

On Mon, Jun 23, 2014 at 5:57 PM, Federico Torreti <to...@gmail.com> wrote:
Rushabh - Thank you. 

Fede

Hi Robert

Thanks for your reply.

Thanks,
Fede

Buying Module

Selling Module

Stock Module

Item 1  (based on SO)
Net Weight (based on SO)

Item 2  (based on SO)
Net Weight (based on SO)

-- 
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to erpnext-user-forum+unsubscrib...@googlegroups.com.

–

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “ERPNext User’s Forum” group.

--
Thanks and Regards,
Umair Sayyed
www.erpnext.com

–

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/erpnext-user-forum/c3a31d72-a04c-44a6-a5c4-9c55d4348890%40googlegroups.com.

I would still consider Sales BOM as a better solution. Yes you will create a few more Item codes, but they will be very helpful in analysis at at later point. (what was your profitability when you shipped 100 pieces in one unit vs. 10 pieces)

On 24-Jun-2014, at 8:15 am, Federico Torreti <to...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Umair - Let me rephrase the question a little as I am not sure we are looking at the same issue:

Is there a way that for a given item, I can set what is the packaging quantity so that when I place a sales order for certain quantity of pieces, a packing slip can be automatically created from the delivery note containing number of boxes being shipped out as in: sales order qty / packaging quantity (set at item level) = nr boxes being shipped

For example:

Item 1 UOM = EA (Pieces)

Packing Slip from Delivery note: 10 boxes being shipped out (1,000 (total sales order) / 100 (packaging quantity))

Hope this clarifies.

Best,
Fede

Hello Federico,

https://erpnext.com/user-guide/stock/delivery-note (check Packing Slip section)

Hope this helps.

On Mon, Jun 23, 2014 at 5:57 PM, Federico Torreti <torr...@gmail.com> wrote:
Rushabh - Thank you. 

Fede

On 23-Jun-2014, at 4:22 pm, Federico Torreti <torr...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Robert

Thanks for your reply.

Thanks,
Fede

Buying Module

Selling Module

Stock Module

Item 1  (based on SO)
Net Weight (based on SO)

Item 2  (based on SO)
Net Weight (based on SO)

-- 
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to erpnext-user-forum+unsubscrib...@googlegroups.com.

-- 
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/erpnext-user-forum/52a04577-6aab-40b2-b95e-e7ed92987709%40googlegroups.com.

-- 
Thanks and Regards,
Umair Sayyed
www.erpnext.com

-- 
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/erpnext-user-forum/c3a31d72-a04c-44a6-a5c4-9c55d4348890%40googlegroups.com.

–

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/erpnext-user-forum/1E87F136-3CA5-4E3F-B45E-E5D045A978E6%40gmail.com.

Rushabh - Our pricing does not change with quantity. 

Would it be a complicated feature to add to the items a packaging quantity so that in packing slip you could have the option of having printed out the total number of boxes being shipped?

Fede

On Tuesday, 24 June 2014 13:15:46 UTC+8, Rushabh Mehta wrote:
I would still consider Sales BOM as a better solution. Yes you will create a few more Item codes, but they will be very helpful in analysis at at later point. (what was your profitability when you shipped 100 pieces in one unit vs. 10 pieces)

For example:

Item 1 UOM = EA (Pieces)

Hope this clarifies.

Best,
Fede

Hello Federico,

Hope this helps.

Rushabh - Thank you. 

Fede

Hi Robert

Thanks for your reply.

Thanks,
Fede

Buying Module

Selling Module

Stock Module

Item 1  (based on SO)
Net Weight (based on SO)

Item 2  (based on SO)
Net Weight (based on SO)

-- 

-- 
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/erpnext-user-forum/52a04577-6aab-40b2-b95e-e7ed92987709%40googlegroups.com.

-- 
Thanks and Regards,
Umair Sayyed
www.erpnext.com

-- 
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/erpnext-user-forum/c3a31d72-a04c-44a6-a5c4-9c55d4348890%40googlegroups.com.

–

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/erpnext-user-forum/8a448f52-7c0d-43a5-8bd8-bc3f96d33071%40googlegroups.com.

On 24-Jun-2014, at 4:41 pm, Federico Torreti <to...@gmail.com> wrote:

Would it be a complicated feature to add to the items a packaging quantity so that in packing slip you could have the option of having printed out the total number of boxes being shipped?

You can add a custom field / append it to the description.

Fede

For example:

Item 1 UOM = EA (Pieces)

Hope this clarifies.

Best,
Fede

Hello Federico,

Hope this helps.

Rushabh - Thank you. 

Fede

Hi Robert

Thanks for your reply.

Thanks,
Fede

Buying Module

Selling Module

Stock Module

Item 1  (based on SO)
Net Weight (based on SO)

Item 2  (based on SO)
Net Weight (based on SO)

-- 

-- 

-- 
Thanks and Regards,
Umair Sayyed
www.erpnext.com

-- 

–

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “ERPNext User’s Forum” group.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/erpnext-user-forum/8a448f52-7c0d-43a5-8bd8-bc3f96d33071%40googlegroups.com.

–

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/erpnext-user-forum/9B892A05-DC17-4C00-89A6-5B10F729F79A%40gmail.com.

Rushabh - Thank you.

Just to follow up - I transferred this to the Developer forum. Custom field and scripting seems to be working ok however there are some open questions. More info at the Developer Forum.

Closing this thread.

On Tuesday, 24 June 2014 20:29:42 UTC+8, Rushabh Mehta wrote:

On 24-Jun-2014, at 4:41 pm, Federico Torreti <to...@gmail.com> wrote:

You can add a custom field / append it to the description.

Fede

For example:

Item 1 UOM = EA (Pieces)

Hope this clarifies.

Best,
Fede

Hello Federico,

Hope this helps.

Rushabh - Thank you. 

Fede

Hi Robert

Thanks for your reply.

Thanks,
Fede

Buying Module

Selling Module

Stock Module

Item 1  (based on SO)
Net Weight (based on SO)

Item 2  (based on SO)
Net Weight (based on SO)

-- 

-- 

-- 
Thanks and Regards,
Umair Sayyed
www.erpnext.com

-- 

–

–

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/erpnext-user-forum/91b278b4-c880-4b23-9a98-4c7b9017f82e%40googlegroups.com.