No Modules Card Displayed on Desk

Bench: 5.0.0
ERPNext: v12.8.0 (version-12)
Frappe:v12.x.x-develop () (develop)

I have a fresh new install of bench/frappe and trying to follow the Library Management tutorial on the Frappe website. However, on starting bench the module Icons don’t display on the desk or site bar even though the DocType pages can be found in the Awesome bar. I assumed I was doing something wrong so I decided to install ERPNext on a different site however I still get same issue (the module icons don’t display on the desk). I’ve heard people mention that I should check the Show/Hide options, I don’t see that too.

Note that for the Library Management app, I ensured that there is library_management.py file with get_data function in my config folder. I also checked the ERPNext app to ensure that respective module files existed in the config folder. A screenshot of what ERPNext looks like is below.

Any help will be appreciated, I’ve been at this for a week now.

1 Like

Your ERPNext is running on v12 whereas frappe is running on develop. Both apps need to be on the same branch always.

Switch ERPNext to develop branch as well and then check again:

bench switch-to-branch develop frappe erpnext --upgrade or manually checkout to develop branch on git and migrate the site.

1 Like

Thank you, will give it shot. But how does this affect the Library Management tutorial I was following ?

The cards are probably not appearing since the config for them as required by the Frappe version is missing:

https://github.com/frappe/erpnext/blob/develop/erpnext/accounts/desk_page/accounting/accounting.json

Edit: The configuration of the modules in v13/develop is handled by a new doctype called Desk Page. For more information on how to configure this, refer:

If you want to use v12, you need to create config file as follows:

ERPNext cards are not appearing in your instance probably because:

1. ERPNext is not installed on the site. You can check this by searching for the doctype or running the command:
    bench --site sitename list-apps

2. There is a version mismatch due to which the cards are not appearing. For this, both ERPNext and Frappe need to be on the same branch.

As for the library management app, the same goes. If you want the module and cards to appear, you will need to create a config for them in line with the framework branch/version.

1 Like

Listing the apps reveals that both Frappe and ERPNext are installed as expected

$ bench --site erpnext.local list-apps
frappe
erpnext

Also, the config folder appears to contain the required config files (like I mentioned in my original post), hence they are not missing and each module have their configs (including accounts for example).

ls ~/Workspace/frappe-bench/apps/erpnext/erpnext/config/
__init__.py		crm.py			help.py			projects.py		support.py
__pycache__		desktop.py		hr.py			quality_management.py	website.py
accounts.py		docs.py			hub_node.py		retail.py
agriculture.py	education.py		integrations.py		selling.py
assets.py		getting_started.py	manufacturing.py	settings.py
buying.py		healthcare.py		non_profit.py		stock.py

About the library management app, I have created the necessary config file as per the tutorials as shown below. Isn’t this the compatible format for v12 ?

#...../library_management/library_management/config/library_management.py

from __future__ import unicode_literals
from frappe import _

def get_data():
    return [
      {
        "label":_("Library"),
        "icon": "octicon octicon-briefcase",
        "items": [
            {
              "type": "doctype",
              "name": "Article",
              "label": _("Article"),
              "description": _("Articles which members issue and return."),
            },
            {
              "name": "Library Member",
              "label": _("Library Member"),
              "description": _("People whohave enrolled for membership in the library."),
            },
            {
              "name": "Library Membership",
              "label": _("Library Membership"),
              "description": _("People who have taken membership for the library"),
            },
            {
              "name": "Library Transaction",
              "label": _(""),
              "description": _("Issuing an article or returning an article are the transactions taking place."),
            }
          ]
      }
  ]

You also need to create a desktop.py file like this one (for version-12):

Follow this post:

Or does v12 only use the json formats in the accounting example you gave above ? It there a documentation relating to this and can you please provide it ?

Or do I have to explicitly create “desk_page/app_name/app_name.json” fro v12 ?

Okay, I’ll try the config format specified here, thanks.

I think I have a solution. The problem seems to be in the v12 patch, there is a command to change the default homepage to a ‘workspace’ instead of ‘desktop’, for reasons that are beyond me.

execute:frappe.db.set_default(‘desktop:home_page’, ‘workspace’)

to fix the issue, you can run this in the console and of course bench clear-cache:

frappe.db.set_default(‘desktop:home_page’, ‘desktop’)

1 Like

I had this exact issue. After switching from develop branch to version-12 there was nothing on the desk at all. Your solution was what got it to work. The only thing I would add is that I had to enter the commands as below.

bench console

then in the python console enter:

import frappe

then

frappe.db.set_default("desktop:home_page", "desktop")

For some reason I had to change the single quotes to doubles in my console.

The thing I don’t know now is will I have to make this change after every bench update? I’ll find out later. : )

Thanks!

1 Like

That didn’t last long! About 3 minutes and it was back to not working.

I then ran all the previous code again in the console and then:

frappe.db.commit()

It has been working for 10 mins now.

1 Like

You shouldn’t see the problem again as it is caused by the upgrade to version 12. since your install is now v12, it shouldn’t run again.

This is also very important. I had to learn this down the line. Thanks for the tip. Why are there no extensive tutorials on these concepts ? I’ve read the desk tutorials multiple times. But, it doesn’t cover these concepts. It is pretty discouraging.

hi, i had a similar problem, i have created one script report and i want to add that report in reports list of accounts module section.

I have gone through the post regarding this, added code in erpnext/config/account.py file but no use it is not reflecting in accounts module desk page, please help me out to solve this. Thank You

@D_N_Srinath what version are you using?

Things are made easier on v13/develop with the newer UI where you can directly add shortcuts.

workspace

thank for response, i’m using version 13 and it works thank you, but i want to add that in reports section, is there any other way to do that.

For V12 sometimes I find that a reboot of the server helps with this issue… that is of course after you’ve confirmed that all the files are properly in place as described in various posts above

Kind regards,

How do we create a new workspace. I would want my custom app to appear as a module in the sidebar.

@mujeerhashmi for v13/develop refer:

1 Like

Stay positive and inspired - certainly this is an ambitious community driven product, that works and grows provided folks give back. Frappe alone cannot be expected to shoulder all the effort. So whatever you are passionate about, say to document, consider contributing to that effort…