New POS interface - Please contribute to the bounty :) [Now $1010!]

I would understand having the same DNA and feel of erpnext that who it supposed to be, but that doesn’t mean you treat POS as the other models in the system or as working with a doctype.

• The goal first was to refresh the interface then add features. The current POS packs lots of features, yet when it comes to usability it lacks behind

• Most POS use nowadays is on touch screens, thats why in the design we avoid showing up the touch keyboard and use soft pad instead. Even thats why we position some elements like add/edit user elements to be on the top part to not be covered by touch keyboard .

• The tab navigation for POS feels more natural approach. Everything is exactly one touch away, no dropdown menus or alert boxes … the retail user can see everything yet the screen is not in anyway crowded.

• For POS every second counts, thats affected by clicking through hidden menus , closing popup boxes, hiding touch keyboard …etc and the current interface doesn’t consider any of that.

• the retail users not always technical people, so the interface should be tailored for them in first place.

• The current POS interface makes it really hard to expand POS future features like customers queen, customer insights and history, returns …

When as a community came up with new interface design, it took many iterations and many inputs which are based on real life daily usage. Also borrowed ideas from many popular POS systems.

@ganas we will priority usability and features first. It may not look like what you showed but it should address all concerns one way or another!

UI will be consistent with the Frappe UI. Sorry we won’t compromise on consitency. If you want a colourful UI, maybe it could be a community app :slight_smile:

Maybe all those who contributed can vote whether this fulfills the bounty or not! We are happy either ways with the feedback!

1 Like

Yes, I agree with you It has to be consistent when comes to colors and choice of ui components (no one mention colors or different CSS or any of that sort, the colors that was used on the prototype were just mockup ). I’m talking about the design itself, the navigation through the interface … E.g. using tabs instead of nested menus and popup boxes …

We don’t use Tabs anywhere in the UI - most people find tabs counter intuitive. and there is no good solution if there are too many of them. The only place the work is if you have to full width. And that place is already taken by the web browser.

I am not sure we would want to use them here, unless the alternative is really bad. We will implement it without tabs at least to start with.

Navigation, functionality and usability are different things. The fact that same patterns are used over and over again and the user feels comfortable in any part of the system. Hence we are very focussed on consistency. I don’t think tabs are either used in iOS or Android either.

Either ways any further discussion should happen only after there is some implementation to look at.

3 Likes

I think the concept you’re trying to communicate is having more of a “touch centric” UI rather than just a “touch capable” UI. While ERPNext works across many devices, it is not touch centric. Reconciling that is not going to happen in the main ERPNext app, but either through a full redesign of all the modules, or a standalone POS Interface which uses an API to connect to ERPNext.

2 Likes

Hi @ganas…Seems that the design and financing of the POS is really community driven…Do you (or @rushabh_mehta ) can judge how much money we would approximately need??

Have some comments based on the current POS…

1. The cursor should by default jump to item selection field…Right now you enter name and if you scan the code is entered to the customer name…
    2 Ideally the system knows whether an input is manual or scanned. I have problems with this…The two most sold product are code dami1 and dami10…When typing dami1 is immediately selected…where one could have dami10,11,12 etc…I have discussed this before…Believe the speed of entry could be set to differentiate between manual and scanned inputs…Guess a barcode scanner sends info at speed no one can type…
    3 I really loved the display of the most sold product first…that disappeared some month back…for unknown reason… In our company the 20/80 rul applies…20% of items is 80% of turnover…Others may not like this with a more even distribution of sales item…Should be possible to set this in setup
  2. The default mode of payment should be user defined (setup)…The current selector is very user friend but stilll…
  3. Very annoying…with a long list of items one cannot follow the adding items onscreen… This may lead to errors…
  4. For me, and possibly others, an editable date field would be great…This allows to enter backdated invoices (still part of our sales is paper invoice that i retype…Cannot use the POS for that)…Could be part of POS setting…
    7 I loved the switching option of the POS before it became functional without internet…Used it a lot…Believe that (given there is internet) it is not to difficult to have a button (may be optional again)…Save and open as Sales Invoice…

As this seems to be a major overhaul…maybe the design team can think ahead…and make the design such that is becomes restaurant ready…tables and customers become a kind of the same thing…and the waiting list would than be ideal…tables1 to 10…just at a coke at table 3 if this is ordered…and one step more (not related to POS)…recipes would but BOMs…that would give the manager detailed insight…

Rgds Robert

1 Like

see also my contribution of today…add under menu …safe and switch the sales invoice…

Now you are talking business :slight_smile:

Someone please start a bounty for that!

3 Likes

great @rohit_w…really appreciate…dont see it yet as i am a cloud user…but looking forward, rgds robert

1 Like

Seriously???

@olamide_shodunke we have been dying to get our hands on electron. We will definitely do something in the next 3 months. A bounty makes it even more interesting :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Coming from a manufacturer’s point of view -

1. Would really like to use POS in our warehouse. Most of our customers work on credit. Can we add a Pay Later button? So pressing the pay later button would mean- sales invoice or delivery note is created and accounts receivable entry added against the customer. This along with default mode being user definable should be great!

2. Another function that we could use is prioritizing customers/ orders.

3. An email or update being sent automatically to customer email/phone should be a great feature!

4. Is it possible to hide prices from certain users in POS?

Your point 1 can already be done…Just set payed amount to zero,
Well depending on yr contribution to bountysource the developers may consider yr wish list

phew! thx Rushabh for keeping an eye on UI/UX

I see too many buttons, colors, tabs and fields, especially if it’s gonna work for touch…!

I believe any UI intended for use on the shop-floor or in a store-environment should be self explanatory. Rather few and huge buttons with ultra-snappy response to navigate hierarchies than one UI does it all (and requires a manual + glasses to use it) :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Maybe interesting for you? Progresive web apps and electron

https://dev.opera.com/articles/pwa-resources/
https://dev.opera.com/articles/pwa-desktop/

1 Like

Hello All,

Kindly share your feedback on new changes of the POS

Thanks,
Rohit

2 Likes

Hey backers @rmehta want to claim the bounty based on POS Redesign For me I think there are few features in the bounty left out:

1- customer queue, where we can have more than one cart active and switch between them
2- easy fast way to edit customer details
3- Numeric keypad to enter value in quantity and rate field
4- Email option to send print of the invoice

looking forward to get your inputs
@Tropicalrambler @mulyadi-agtechsg @olamide_shodunke @federico_calvo @spa @JayRam @Mohammed_Redha @becht_robert @Pau_Rosello_Van_Scho

Thanks @ganas, for me I put bounty for 1&2 missing features!
It is essential for any kind of modern POS system and I need it to use in Resturants business

Hi @ganas

Thanks for following up on this.

Item 1 & 3 is essential to any POS system. That is my opinion.

Maybe @rmehta can clarify on the missing features first. We may missed out something or he has a good reason to.

I assumed issue (1) is solved because you can open as many invoices as possible and switch between them by clicking the list button (the one beside the new invoice button directly by the select or add new customer field)

(2) is very necessary
(4) is also very necessary
(3) is ideal to enhance the touch screen experience

@rmehta would you mind addressing this please???

Regards

1 Like