Just wanted to share some initial thoughts on the new manufacturing module. This is currently our weakest module.
What we are thinking is to scrap the Production Order and Production Planning Tool and instead merge Manufacturing with Projects.
Here is the proposed workflow.
1. To plan for production, you will create a new Project. Select Item, Bill of Material.
2. Once you select this, the "Tasks" will be automatically updated from the "Operations" table of the Bill of Material. If it is a multi-level, the it will find out all the tasks from all the child items (sub-assemblies).
3. You can assign these tasks to different Users and Workstations.
4. These tasks can be closed, updated by the users so you know how you are progressing on this Project.
5. You can also make the Project against a Sales Order and keep track of how much of the order is complete.
6. You can also push the start date of the Project so that all tasks are pushed along with the start date.
7. You can also get reports on how many Tasks are assigned to whom.
8. Based on Workstation capacity, you can get a rough-cut idea incase you are under capacity.
9. You can get a Gantt per Project, User or Workstation - this way you can adjust your capacity.
10. For material planning, you can get a report of all material that is expected to be short based on your Tasks. We can do a "simulation" of the Project so that you can know potential stockout's in advance. For this we will also need a "materials required" table in the Task that we can use to simulate the plan.
These are just initial thoughts, your inputs will be valuable.