New Journal Entry -> Quick Entry should not require a User Remark

Trial user jazzyjackson reported this observation a few months ago

"
If I go to Accounting / Journal Entry / New Journal Entry, I’ve made a few entries without any user remarks, but I decided to try the Quick Entry. Nice! Except it won’t let me save without a user remark. I enter ‘ok’ and save it, and can then submit the journal entry without that user remark.

If someone can point me to the python that renders this quick entry I’d be happy to make the change and submit the PR. thanks.

Attached screenshot, note the red ‘required’ style for the User Remark.

"

Here’s the relevant code for review:
erpnext/erpnext/accounts/doctype/journal_entry at develop · frappe/erpnext · GitHub

I found it with this:
frappe@ubuntu:~/frappe-bench/apps/erpnext$ find . -name ‘*.js’ | xargs grep ‘Quick Journal Entry’
./erpnext/accounts/doctype/journal_entry/journal_entry.js: title: __(“Quick Journal Entry”),

1 Like

Thanks for reporting this Clark, we will try to fix(after consulting) this at our earliest.

Hi @clarkej,

you are looking for this line (about line 573)

{fieldtype: "Small Text", fieldname: "user_remark", label: __("User Remark"), reqd: 1},

in erpnext/erpnext/accounts/doctype/journal_entry/journal_entry.js

Switch to reqd: 1 and it will be optional. Personally, in the quick entry I feel it is good to have a remark, otherwise the record is really empty :wink:

Thanks for this pointer @lasalesiI. Yes absolutely, whatever can be made optional, folks want to customize that.

I include this as a point of learning. Hundreds of informative posts to Issues · frappe/erpnext · GitHub lie dormant, that could benefit here on discuss. The audience and dialogue disconnect is unfortunate.