New Feature - Quick Navigation To DocType (Suggestions Required)

This enables the user to quickly jump to a particular doctype.

New doctype added - Quick Navigation

Quick Navigation in action -
http://www.giphy.com/gifs/VHYjWjGCgNoDSsyW3w

This helps the user to navigate to a particular screen even faster.
Also features that can be added are quick navigation to reports or print formats.

Looking forward to your suggestions.

What’s the problem this is solving though?

Currently, I can do the same by bringing up the search bar (Ctrl + G) and typing the doctype name, and also be able to choose from different kinds of views. Wouldn’t that take the same time?

You can. But this method will require fewer number of keystrokes to get to a particular view.

For example instead of typing “New Sales Order” you can just type “1001” to get to it.

This has been proven to improve the productivity. Many ERP systems have a provision for fast path/quick link to get to a view faster.
This is in no way replacing the Awesome bar but just enhancing the user experience altogether.

If you think of it like that then what is the need for keyboard shortcuts altogether? Why have ⌘+H to go to home when you can achieve the same by clicking on the “E” icon right?

If you think of it like that then what is the need for keyboard shortcuts altogether? Why have ⌘+H to go to home when you can achieve the same by clicking on the “E” icon right?

I’m not suggesting that keyboard shortcuts are not useful - in my example above, I mention that the search bar can be focused on with Ctrl + G. I’m all for improving productivity, but my question is how is this better than what’s already existing with the keyboard shortcuts and the awesomebar?

Who sets these navigation codes? If its multiple users, what happens when codes clash with each other? Users would need to remember the ever-increasing codes, instead of just searching for what they need. That just seems like an unnecessary cognitive load.

Wouldn’t a customizable sidebar be a better option, wherein individual users could quickly configure and navigate to whatever path they want with a single click?

This is just an initial approach. There are many ways in which this could be achieved.

The codes are unique and it won’t clash. Also it is the system manager who will set this up.

As for the ever increasing codes, a particular user or employee would only be concerned with certain number of screens that he frequently visits for his daily set of tasks. So he would not have to remember the master list of codes.

As far as I know in v12 they have introduced last visited doctypes in awsome bar.