We recently merged New Data Import into the latest
develop branch of
The goal of the new Data Import was to move away from the rigid template we had before and move to a simpler template format which is more forgiving. It is also supposed to give better warnings to the user so that the task of importing data is simpler than before.
The new template looks something like this:
- Ability to map columns that are not identified automatically manually.
- Link field dependencies are automatically created if there is a single mandatory field.
- For e.g Item Group while importing Item
- If the autoname is based on a field, export only one ID column
- For e.g ID and Item Code are the same in Item, so they are merged into one column ID (Item Code) so that the user is not confused
- Ignore empty rows and columns in the template
- Supported file types:
- Parse 18 different types of date formats automatically
- Show a preview of the first 10 rows from the template
- Export errored rows into a separate CSV
- Child records are identified if the corresponding parent value cells are blank or have the same values as the previous row
- Show Data Import Link in timeline if the records were updated using Data Import.
- Show estimated time remaining when importing large number of records.
- New command
bench --site sitename data-import --doctype Item --file /path/to/file.csv
This is still in Beta and it will live alongside the old Data Import until it is tested thoroughly.
To test the new Data Import:
- Make sure you are on the latest
- Type Data Import Beta in the awesomebar
- Create a new Data Import and test it
Please provide feedback and report any bugs here.