New App for one-page shopping cart experience

@gvyshnya, on reviewing the work you have done with jhaudio.com, I must say I am very impressed with both the design and functionality of the site you have developed.

It is a great demonstration of what can be achieved with ERPNext and as someone who is battling with E-Commerce, you have given some light at the end of the tunnel.

Currently, I have tried to go the Shopify route along with the Shopify integration. But, this approach does highlight the issues with any integration solution. Immediately, I realised, for example, that Shopify does not have either the equivalent of Slideshow nor Item Groups trees without installing extra paid add-ons. Plus, you have the issues with any integration in general - particular keeping everything in sync - there always ends up being problems.

2 Likes

Do you have a list of things you want to fix with e-commerce?

@rmehta, Rushabh, thanks for the interest.

I have already done quite a lot of modification and coding - some are specific to our business model.
Here are some of the things I have managed to get working, either by modding the core or running scripts:

Hide items with Qty <=0
Include ITEMS from draft Purchase Receipts and adjust qty accordingly (this is very specific to us)
Show custom description on product page that pulls in data from other fields
Created an “auto slideshow” button that picks up images in a directory on server thus speeding up photo side of things.
Created an eBay integration to pull in eBay sales as Sales Orders and customers.
Created process to export items records to GarageSale (ebay Listing tool) to automate listing on eBay from ErpNext.
Modifying the home page

Things I am in the process of trying to fix:

When testing cart, I get a “Not Permitted to access page” error when trying to place order.

Two images displaying on the slideshow (problem goes away when you click arrow to move to next image). (Safari browser)

Programmatically, attach main website image - I have managed to programmatically create a Slideshow (as above) but haven’t managed to do this for the main image that uses “attach” image. This has to be done manually or fixed with an sql script later.

Disable nav bars for zero stock items.

Simplify shopping cart process

Change the theme editing Boostrap template to change design - could never get this to work.

Finally, currently, I have a cron script that makes a whole bunch of changes to the core code but I now need to create a custom module to do this. I know how to create a custom module but I haven’t found instructions on how to get this to work in place of the standard website.

In your response to your post, I am not looking for a solution to all of the above (some of things I need are specific to the way we work). But, I hope it does outline some of the challenges facing businesses using ERPNext trying to get online. There are requests on a weekly basis, for example, for Magento Connectors so there is a real need for ERPNext to in some way have good eCommerce functionality whether built in or not.

Fortunately, with ErpNext it can all be achieved with a little coding :slight_smile:. ErpNext is fantastic for helping businesses solve specific problems and some of my other projects have included substantial programming efforts around mainly custom reporting. There is no way we could have achieved this with an off the shelf ERP.

Currently, I am back trying to get Shopify to work, but as said that is another but different set of challenges.

Regards,

Ben

3 Likes

Thanks for testing this out. We are also interested in improving the e-commerce features, can you check if github issues exist for all your requirements and maybe make those which don’t exist?

We can take it up in Oct/Nov time frame.

3 Likes

Hi Rushabh,

As you are aware we are one of the Shopify and ERPNext user,below is list of daily challenges faced (majority is sync related )

Post Sync - ERP

1. Post the sync of items from ERP to Shopify being performed, we consistently notice the following non-shopify fields in ERP are getting incorrectly updated by the sync. The following field are getting replaced with inaccurate data causing a lot of extra manual work (i.e. update the field back to original field data pre-sync).Examples of such fields in ERP are:-
    a) Default warehouse.
    b) Default supplier
    c) Custom fields created by us in the item master.
    We require only the shopify to be updated and not the ERP (if not related to sales orders executed via the web).

2. Hide items with Qty <=0 - same as stated by bglazier

Post Sync - Shopify

1. An item on being synced in the first instance gets reflected in shopify accurately. But post the occurence of multiple ERP-shopify syncs through the day,its observed that additional unwanted images get added to the shopify item within the master and it requires for manual intervention by way of review of all items for the identification of additional images and manual deletion of unwanted images linked to the shopify item.

2. Shopify has “compare at field” for prices where it shall show discounted price and original price,this has to be updated manually as this field does not exists in ERP making it very tedious.

3.Shopify has filter tags (based on design,shade,fabric type etc.)which helps the customer to identify products. Currently these have manually inserted into shopify at an item level as there is no option to add tags(which need to be reflected in shopify) at an item level in ERP and have the tags automatically reflected in shopify post sync.Refer to https://boacasa.com/ for examples for kind of tags.

4.Shopify has collection field in which one manually updates the name of the product category (under which the products are displayed in the website).Currently this needs to done manually in shopify item master post syncing.Require for this field to be reflected in ERP,so no manual updates to be done post sync.

Attached is the shopify image highlighting (above items 1-4).

3 Likes

Could you please open GitHub issues for these?

Good Day Eric

I saw your 2017 ERPNext Youtube Video. Any way you can share code as i would like to build my own ERPNext Online Shop?

Thank You

Albertus Geyser
albertusgeyser@gmail.com

2 Likes

Quote, if it is possible share is good also for us

@gvyshnya and @Eric_Delisle, Thanks for speaking my mind. You have tried to address the issue which has been striking my mind.

BTW, can you point the link of the changes you made about the multiple payment gateway and the login stuffs as discussed here (and deployed at jhaudio.com site), and @Eric_Delisle impressively discussed during the 2017 Conference at Eric Delisle - Extending ERPNext Website + E-commerce - YouTube? Appreciate that!

Indeed, your contributions seems to be an added feather to the ERPnext hat! :slight_smile:

@rmehta was repeatedly right on his own above to readdress that hacks do not get on the way to the upgrade and development of the ERPNext itself. Second @rmehta on this.

However, @gvyshnya: Don’t you think that your comment above at New App for one-page shopping cart experience - #38 by gvyshnya not to release source code violated GPLv3 under which ERPNext was released as evident from erpnext/license.txt at develop · frappe/erpnext · GitHub? GPLv3 categorically demands to release the source code of the changes and derivatives under the same license! Just wondering.

Update: I have found similar GPLv3-incompatible reply as of @gvyshnya above at Setup Help txt File · Issue #240 · DigiThinkIT/awesome_cart · GitHub by @vjFaLk. RMS calls it Tivoization (Tivoization - Wikipedia, for those who are interested!).

2 Likes

@zenny, awesome_cart isn’t a fork of erpnext (we do have one which is with small changes and is open source), it’s an app for the FrappĂ© Framework.

But I agree, we are guilty of not contributing enough back to ERPNext / FrappĂ© code. Most of the things we’ve made are separate apps (which are OSS and standalone).

1 Like

Are you able to share the apps? Something is better than nothing:-)

@vjFaLk I understand your reservation on your part.

However, If you build something on Frappe framework which is MIT licensed (frappe/LICENSE at develop · frappe/frappe · GitHub) and forked it and do whatever you wanted to do, your view stands out. But not on anything build or coupled onto ERPNext which is GPLv3 licensed. It is mandatory to release anything developed on or coupled with GPLv3 software should also be released under GPLv3 which does not appear in your case.

If you have such hesitation, I suggest to exploit on something released under BSD/MIT license rather than GPLv3 ERPNext. I wish you and your Digthink team read following documents at least:

1. Frequently Asked Questions about the GNU Licenses - GNU Project - Free Software Foundation
  2. https://www.gnu.org/licenses/quick-guide-gplv3.en.html

Cheers,

@Not_a_countant yes, all of our code is right at - DigiThinkIT, Inc. · GitHub

@zenny You’re right, I personally wasn’t aware of the coupling clause of the license. Then we must open source everything soon.

We don’t really have commercial / selfish reasons to not open source the things that aren’t open source. It’s really a problem of priorities and the lack of time to be able to properly open source everything. Even the current things we have open sourced aren’t well documented, which is something we want to improve on.

We want to contribute back. We have before, and want to continue doing so.

3 Likes

@Not_a_countant yes, all of our code is right at - DigiThinkIT, Inc. · GitHub

Nope, but crippled one, sorry to say.

@zenny You’re right, I personally wasn’t aware of the coupling clause of the license. Then we must open source everything soon.

We don’t really have commercial / selfish reasons to not open source the things that aren’t open source. It’s really a problem of priorities and the lack of time to be able to properly open source everything. Even the current things we have open sourced aren’t well documented, which is something we want to improve on.

We want to contribute back. We have before, and want to continue doing so.

@vjFaLk I am loving your spirit. Thumbs up to you! :smiley:

Most of the apps are standalone and are working on production. Lack documentation however. :slight_smile:

Thanks
publicising these code can help someone move it from a separate app into the core. It is a great place to start. cheers
Deepak

2 Likes

Have already create done.Link below for your reference .