Need for a Check Digit in Erpnext

Hi,

I have been after Rushabh’s life and I know I keep nagging you people a lot for a lot of features but I guess it is time that erpnext understands the need of check digit.
If anyone is interest to have a reading then here are some resources on check digit and their uses:

1. Open MRS about check digit
  2. Wikipedia about check digit

After reading some more resources and also analyzing some of the major companies in my industry, I found out that most, if not all use a check digit in their item codes. The use of check digit is prevalent in the Banking Sector where our Account numbers, Credit Card NUmbers, Debit Card Numbers are all using check digit and any system which does not support this cannot be used in such industries. The best system for check digit for which any kind of open source could be found is LUHN ALGORITHM

I know erpnext is a long way from being a major player in the industry but to look at the future is a good thing. Now why am I posting this on the developer forums is because I guess that I have found a code that we could easily convert to javascript and use it via custom script and I would need the help of the developers to convert this since my coding knowledge is limited by google search and no matter how good google is it still cannot teach you.

The code that I have is from the link in Open MRS which is a java code but I would love to use it in custom script but I guess JAVA is different from JAVA SCRIPT and hence I would want someone to help me convert this to a more usable format so that  we could use it in custom script.

I have tried to convert a part of the code mentioned under JAVA code in OPENMRS but I know it still has a lot of bug anyhow the modified code is HERE.

I hope that some one would come up with a solution to this or at least guide me in the right direction.

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "ERPNext Developer Forum" group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to erpnext-developer-forum+un...@googlegroups.com.

To post to this group, send email to er...@googlegroups.com.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/erpnext-developer-forum/-/MVnArCCsaCQJ.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

Sorry forgot to mention the link of the modified code:

"I have tried to convert a part of the code mentioned under JAVA code in
OPENMRS but I know it still has a lot of bug anyhow the modified code is
HERE.

On Tuesday, April 2, 2013 8:45:44 PM UTC+5:30, Aditya Duggal wrote:

Hi,

I have been after Rushabh’s life and I know I keep nagging you people a lot for a lot of features but I guess it is time that erpnext understands the need of check digit.
If anyone is interest to have a reading then here are some resources on check digit and their uses:

After reading some more resources and also analyzing some of the major companies in my industry, I found out that most, if not all use a check digit in their item codes. The use of check digit is prevalent in the Banking Sector where our Account numbers, Credit Card NUmbers, Debit Card Numbers are all using check digit and any system which does not support this cannot be used in such industries. The best system for check digit for which any kind of open source could be found is LUHN ALGORITHM

I know erpnext is a long way from being a major player in the industry but to look at the future is a good thing. Now why am I posting this on the developer forums is because I guess that I have found a code that we could easily convert to javascript and use it via custom script and I would need the help of the developers to convert this since my coding knowledge is limited by google search and no matter how good google is it still cannot teach you.

The code that I have is from the link in Open MRS which is a java code but I would love to use it in custom script but I guess JAVA is different from JAVA SCRIPT and hence I would want someone to help me convert this to a more usable format so that  we could use it in custom script.

I have tried to convert a part of the code mentioned under JAVA code in OPENMRS but I know it still has a lot of bug anyhow the modified code is HERE.

I hope that some one would come up with a solution to this or at least guide me in the right direction.

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "ERPNext Developer Forum" group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to erpnext-developer-forum+un...@googlegroups.com.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/erpnext-developer-forum/-/3Yik5qX3w7kJ.

Hi Aditya,

Instead of doing client side scripting, if you do it in server side script (python), then life will be lot easier. 

I have made a gist, it will do the trick, please check this link https://gist.github.com/nabinhait/5294657

Regards,
Nabin Hait

On 02-Apr-2013, at 8:47 PM, Aditya Duggal wrote:

Sorry forgot to mention the link of the modified code:

"I have tried to convert a part of the code mentioned under JAVA code in OPENMRS but I know it still has a lot of bug anyhow the modified code is HERE.

On Tuesday, April 2, 2013 8:45:44 PM UTC+5:30, Aditya Duggal wrote:
Hi,

I have been after Rushabh's life and I know I keep nagging you people a lot for a lot of features but I guess it is time that erpnext understands the need of check digit.

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “ERPNext Developer Forum” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to erpnext-developer-forum+un…@googlegroups.com.

To post to this group, send email to er…@googlegroups.com.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/erpnext-developer-forum/-/3Yik5qX3w7kJ.