Multi Level Production Order

Hi All,

We are manufacturer with multi level bom and our final finish product consist of 3 step of production process (first two production process creating sub-assemblies for final finish product). Each production process happen in different location and different time/days.

When creating the Production Order, system will load all the sub-assemblies to one production order if I choose use multi-level bom in production order where this is not applicable for my production process. Then I need to separately create the production order for each step of production process manually in order to get expected result.

What is the best way to do this in efficient way because each one of our final finish product consist a lot of sub-assemblies that requires other production process instead of manually creating the separate Production Order for each sub-assemblies? If only system can generate the multi-level Production Order, it will save a lot of work or are there any other better solution?

Hi,
I am really keen to learn about your comment - ‘When creating the Production Order, system will load all the sub-assemblies to one production order if I choose use multi-level bom in production order’ .

We also have a lot of Sub-Assemblies in our Finished Product and the Production Process happens in two different locations.

But when I am creating the Production Order for the Finished Product, using the Option ‘Multi-Level BOM’, the system creates the Production Order which only includes the Raw Materials for the exploded BOM, but the Sub-Assemblies do not appear in the Production Order.

Please suggest how you created the Production Order where the Sub-Assemblies also appear in the Production Order.
It will be very helpful if you can mention the Version you are using.

We use: ERPNext: v8.8.1 (master); Frappe Framework: v8.7.3 (master)

Use the production planning tool.

Hi Ben,
Assuming your suggestion is in regards to my queries, I am already using the Production Planning Tool to generate the Production Order - but still the Production Order does not include the Sub-Assemblies of the Finished Good.
As stated earlier, the Production Order only consists of the Raw Materials, based on the fully exploded BOM.

Please help.

If you use the Production Planning Tool, Material Requests for the subassemblies should also get created (as long as the Only Obtain Raw Materials button isn’t checked). You need to make sure the default Material Request Type is set in those BOM child assemblies (set to Manufacture).

The process is:

1. Create a Material Request for the Top-Level assembly
  2. Use the PPT to load the Top-Level assembly (using the Get from Material Requests query)
  3. Create the Production Order by clicking the button
  4. Create the Material Requests by clicking the Create Material Requests button.
  5. Reload the PPT page
  6. Use the PPT to load the next level assemblies (using the Get from Material Requests query)
  7. Create the Production Order by clicking the button
  8. Create the Material Requests by clicking the Create Material Requests button.
2 Likes

Sorry @joydeep, I describe it wrong, it’s actually loaded with raw material.

Thanks for your comment @Ben_Cornwell_Mott, I actually tried that way but generated Material Request from PPT is Purchase type so I stuck at first level sub-assembly (M12MPLPT03), I cannot generate Production Order from Purchase type Material Request. Are there any setting to allow us generate Manufacturing type Material Request from PPT?

You can change the default material request type:

2 Likes

Thank you @Ben_Cornwell_Mott, it works!! Really appreciate your information and I have additional question to ask.

For purchase type Material Request, is it possible to merge it based on Supplier or if not, is it possible to merge all purchase type material request into one material request when we generate material request for purchase type?

The material requests will always be separated by item.

However, you can use the Default Supplier setting in each item when creating Purchase orders.

To do this, create a blank Purchase Order, select the Supplier field, then click the Get Open Material Requests for Supplier button that appears just below the supplier field. This should pull in all the Material Requests for Purchase that have the selected Supplier as Default Supplier.

Default Supplier for each item is set on the Item Page

2 Likes

Thank you very much Ben, really appreciate your help.

Hi Ben,
May I please use this discussion-thread to converse about another problem in Manufacturing.
I am stating the problem in details. Please go through it and help me with a solution.

We created a Sales Order (SO-00001) for FG-Item-A for 1 quantity.
We used the Production Planning Tool (PPT) to create the Production Order (PRO-00001) for 1 quantity of FG-Item-A. PRO-00001 was created in ‘Draft’ status.

FG-Item-A consists of 2 Sub-Assemblies and 3 Raw Materials.

Out of these, the 2 Sub-Assemblies are manufactured in our Shop-Floor-1. The Raw Materials required for maufacturing these two Sub-Assemblies are stored in Stores-1.

In Shp-Floor-2, we assemble these 2 Sub-Assemblies along with 3 other Raw Materials. These 3 Raw Materials are stored in Stores-2.

NOTE: There are NO raw Materials in stock.
NOTE: Capacity Planning is disabled.

Next, we created the Material Requests (MR) for SO-00001, using the PPT.
We chose the option ‘Use Multi-Level BOM’ = Yes.
We selected the Store = Stores-1.

As a result, the system created the Material Requests (MR) for all the Sub-Assemblies and the Raw Materials defined in the BOM for FG-Item-A. The Material Requests for the Sub-Assemblies are of Type = Manufacture and the MRs for the Raw Materials are of Type = Purchase.
All the Material Requests are generated for Stores-1.

We checked the Material Requests and all of them are linked to the Sales Order SO-00001 by the system.

We created another Sales Order (SO-00002) for a different Customer for 1 quantity of the same item FG-Item-A.
We used the PPT to create a Production Order (PRO-00002) for 1 quantity of FG-Item-A.
PRO-00002 was created in ‘Draft’ status.

We tried to create the Material Request for SO-00002 using the PPT. We chose the option ‘Use Multi-Level BOM’. We chose Stores = Stores-1.

But the issue is that the system comes up with the message – Nothing to request.

Since we have a New Sales Order (SO-00002), the system should have created another set of Material Requests to support this Sales Order SO-00002; but, no Material Requests were created.

NOTE: We are using ERPNext: v8.8.1 (master); Frappe Framework: v8.7.3 (master)

Hi, joydeep

I think you need to tick option “Create for full quantity, ignoring quantity already on order” because the system think that the order has been created for the particular items even though the order was generated base on other transaction.

Hi @joydeep,

I am currently dealing with the same issue you’ve described about the PPT displaying the “Nothing to request” message. Were you able to resolve your issue?

I tried checking the “Create for full quantity, ignoring quantity already on order” button, but it only creates Purchase Orders for raw items in my top-level BOM.

Hi

I know it is a bit late but if somebody else is looking…
Make sure You make the material requests to the warehouse that is defined on item page as default warehouse as this will be the warehouse on production order as the source for the component.

Thank You
Kaspar