Item - Weight Per Unit depending on is_stock_item

I have noted that the "Weight Per Item" in the item master only is available whether the "Maintain Stock" option is checked. I assume I can customize the item master doctype to take that dependency away, but generally I do not see any reason for this behavior.

Let’s say you just do not want to Maintain Stock withing ERPNext (yet) in order to simplify usage and reduce Workflow dependencies at a certain point in time of adoption, you still may want to be able to define the weight of an item (so i.e. you know how much weight a shipment package has)

Is there any reason beyond this default behavior which I am just not seeing?

EDIT:

“I assume I can customize the item master doctype to take that dependency away, but generally I do not see any reason for this behavior.”

doesn’t work actually. Because it’s part of the “Inventory” Section, which is hidden entirely on non-maintain-stock items. So I would say at best the weight per unit needs to move into another section in order to utilize it for non-stock items.

Hi, do you have any update or solution on this matter? I have case where I need the Weight per Unit to be defined despite non stock items. To calculate and/or make report of the shipping charges, etc. Moreover on drop shipping business where the company (distribution or brand principal) doesn’t keep the stock but products are delivered directly from supplier to customer. The company cares only sales, not inventory.
I could’ve just enabled the stock (but not maintaining it), but I’m afraid there will be unnecessary restrictions and issues somewhere on the flows. v12.

I have not looked into this any further and likewise can not share any more insights unfortunately.

there will be I think. I.e. the system will not let you ship any item you do not have logically available at the defined shipment warehouse. So there is a bunch of tails you carry around once “Maintain Stock” is enabled