Is there a Glossary of terms somewhere?

starting out discovering a new software (especially something as complex as an ERP) on can easily get lost in terms and how they are used. So, is there a glossary for ERPNext/bench somewhere?
In case there isn’t … what would be the best way to start one?

@vrms, currently we dont have a Glossary of therms, the best place to add this is in the Manual, you can check the manual in http://frappe.github.io/erpnext/

I guess if I wanted to initiate a Glossary, that would be a new document. I guess that would be added in the github repository. Can anybody point me to the right place?

I wonder whether an an .md (?) file (same as the README’s) would work for such?

1 Like

@vrms we want to make the terms as easy and natural as possible. If you find an instance, please post.

@rmehta not sure what instance means in this context to be honest. If you mean an example what I mean by glossary … please see below (which is a expert from a edx.ord accounting course’s Glossary of terms which I borrow here for illustration

…start of example …

Glossary of terms

Account An account is a location where all items relating to one particular group are recorded. For example cash items are recorded in the cash account.

Account code is a unique group of numbers and/or letters that is used to identify an item and classify it into a particular group.

Accounts receivable These are accounts for customers who are given credit terms - ie they have the goods in advance of payment. They then owe the business money and this money is receivable by the business.

Accounting equation “The accounting equation is a formula underlying the statement of financial position. The accounting equation is: ASSETS – LIABILITIES = CAPITAL”

Back-up It is good practice to maintain a second copy of the records in case anything happens to the original set. In computerised accounting, this might be on hard drives kept off-site or in cloud storage.

BACS "automated bank transfer BACS, or ACS, is a way to transfer money directly from a bank account for one-off payments. BACS stands for bankers automated clearing services in the UK. Internationally, it may be known as an ACS, for automated clearing system."

Balance The difference between the incoming cash and outgoing cash

Balance brought down (balance b/d) The balance brought down (also known as the balance brought forward b/f) is the balance on an account at the beginning of an accounting period. It equals the balance carried down from the end of the last accounting period.

Capital Capital is the owner’s interest in the business. It is made up of the cash or assets introduced to the business by the owner (known as capital introduced), the profits generated by the business in previous years less any amounts that the owner has withdrawn from the business (known as drawings).

Capital expenditure Capital expenditure is the purchase of non-current assets.

Cash account The cash account is the account in the general ledger where the cash transactions of the business are recorded. The information will be transferred from the cash book.

Cash book The cash book is the book of prime entry in which the bank transactions are recorded by the business. This may be divided into the cash payments book and the cash receipts book.

… etc
…end of example …

Each software uses terms in a certain way and I would start a Glossary like the above for ERPNext if someone pointed me to where to put it. … while writing …I could also just start one on my own github and post it here, so it might be shared by others and finally pulled into the right place in the ERPNext structure

2 Likes

@vrms Somewhere in here! https://github.com/frappe/erpnext/tree/develop/erpnext/docs/user/manual/en

I also want to contibute to this.
Ideas/questions:
Would it be possible to add links from the definition body to other definiton terms? E.g. the therm ‘Filter’ appears in the definition body of the term ‘Like’.
Is there a kind of ‘lint’ available for these .md files in order to check their consistency? Shall I write one?

I have no idea. I chose .md because I saw that many similar documents in github repositories are .md’s (including other manual articles for ERPNext). That’s the only reason. I also don’t know much about how to format things there makes things bold (seems to work the same in here). I can imagine it’s possible to link stuff, I just wouldn’t know how.

I am not a programmer whatsoever and at first I put this up to make some notes. Due to that it would be great whether the ‘language’ in which this is written is very basic, so participation is simple

Ok, got it. It supports links! The format is the same one used by Github (and also on this forum :smiley:).
Here’s the Github syntax.

1 Like