i tried your suggestions and it seemed not to have fixed the issue so i figured i had one more process to try so i ran
sudo bench build and restarted the server afterwards and it fixed the problem. My guess is the frappe and erpnext asset rebuild process broke the last time hence the error
@clarkej it’s possible that this issue is tied to that one. My investigations revealed that when i created the custom notification for Expense Claim, i checked “Is Standard” and that created an expense_claim_request.py file. However, this file referenced a non-existent Expense Claim module and that caused the Expense Claim Request to break. Deleting the files, custom email alert and running bench migrate and then bench build fixed that issue as well.
Lesson Learnt: Never assume that every feature in ERPNext is failure-proof
Never take for granted the possibility that your production environment might be
broken by a verified PR or New Feature
Most Importantly: Always test every newly released update on a test server with a mirror of your
production server and verify everything is well before pulling any update.