Installation Errors on Ubuntu 15.04 (64-bit) - NO DEFAULT SITE

Hi,

I’ve tried installing erpnext on Ubuntu 15.04 desktop version (64-bit) step by step. However it installs with errors and i can’t even setup a default site. Installation crashes many times. I tried around 15 times in last 6 days. I’ve followed the commands:

wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/frappe/bench/master/install_scripts/setup_frappe.sh
sudo bash setup_frappe.sh --setup-production

cd ~
bench init frappe-bench
cd frappe-bench
bench get-app erpnext GitHub - frappe/erpnext: Free and Open Source Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP)
bench new-site site1.local
bench install-app erpnext

It doesn’t installs without errors and it stops with error that Cannot install wkhtmltopdf. I continued to install (because wkhtmltopdf is a optional) it further with a hope that i will be able to setup a default site atleast. However when i create a site, it ask for MySQL password. I didn’t setup any password earlier but it rejects all the default passwords even the password in the file present in the directory where frappe bench is installed. I found “frappe_passwords.sh” file which contains frappe pass, mysql pass and admin pass. However when i create a site, it denies when i put the mysql password. I am struggling with setting up the erpnext on ubuntu 15.04 since many days. Finally i thought to take assistance through this forum. I’m frustrated now facing lot of issues in installing. I would appreciate any help in this regard.

Thanks.
Rahul

Can you try using the user root in mysql along with the mysql password from the password file you found and see if you can connect to mysql. the command would be :

mysql -uroot -p<your password>

See if you connect and that will give us something to build on…

The install scripts expects a clean install of ubuntu. If it doesn’t accept password in the ~/frappe_passwords.sh, the most probably, you’ve a mysql / mariadb install from before you ran the script.

Hi msj,

Thanks for the reply. Yes i am doing it from user root only. “Access denied to user root@localhost” it says.
I have tried every possible password confined to erpnext and given in discussion forum.

Hi pdvyas,

Thanks for the reply. I’ve installed Ubuntu and then tried to install erpnext. Does Ubuntu 15.04 have pre-installed mysql/mariadb packages? I even tried to delete the directory to have fresh installation of frappe-bench but i am unable to delete it. Please note that I’ve already tried installing the erpnext on clean install of ubuntu 15.04… 5 times in 6 days. What should I do now?

Could give this a try to reset the password on the mysql system. I would set it to the password in the
frappe_passwords file.

Recover MySQL root password

You can recover a MySQL database server password with the following five easy steps:
Step # 1: Stop the MySQL server process.
Step # 2: Start the MySQL (mysqld) server/daemon process with the --skip-grant-tables option so that it will not prompt for a password.

Step # 3: Connect to the MySQL server as the root user.
Step # 4: Set a new root password.
Step # 5: Exit and restart the MySQL server.
Here are the commands you need to type for each step (log in as the root user):
Step # 1 : Stop the MySQL service:

/etc/init.d/mysql stop

Output:
Stopping MySQL database server: mysqld.
Step # 2: Start the MySQL server w/o password:

mysqld_safe --skip-grant-tables &

Output:
[1] 5988
Starting mysqld daemon with databases from /var/lib/mysql
mysqld_safe[6025]: started
Step # 3: Connect to the MySQL server using the MySQL client:

mysql -u root

Output:
Welcome to the MySQL monitor. Commands end with ; or \g.
Your MySQL connection id is 1 to server version: 4.1.15-Debian_1-log

Type ‘help;’ or ‘\h’ for help. Type ‘\c’ to clear the buffer.

mysql>
Step # 4: Set a new MySQL root user password:
mysql> use mysql;
mysql> update user set password=PASSWORD(“NEW-ROOT-PASSWORD”) where User=‘root’;
mysql> flush privileges;
mysql> quit

Step # 5: Stop the MySQL server:

/etc/init.d/mysql stop

Output:
Stopping MySQL database server: mysqld
STOPPING server from pid file /var/run/mysqld/mysqld.pid
mysqld_safe[6186]: ended

[1]+ Done mysqld_safe --skip-grant-tables
Start the MySQL server and test it:

/etc/init.d/mysql start

mysql -u root -p

Hi msj,

Many thanks for the help. Let me follow your instructions step by step. I will get back to you whatever output i will get. I hope i will be able to rectify this issue based on your inputs. Additionally, how should i install wkhtmltopdf manually? as current installation has denied to install with an error “cannot install wkhtmltopdf skipping…”. Should i download from wkhtmltopdf … 64-bit for Ubuntu 15.04 and install it directly. Will it configure it automatically with erpnext or i have to do some settings anywhere.

If you download the .deb file from the wkhtmltopdf.org site (for your correct disto/Ubuntu 15.04) then run dpkg -i <filename> that should install the application correctly and no further steps should be required. Good luck!

Hello Msj,

Many thanks for the assistance. I’ve tried with above steps however it landed with same errors again. Unfortunately, I have downgraded the version of Ubuntu from 15.04 to 14x version to make ERPNEXT work flawlessly. I have tried to install wkhtmltopdf based on your given command lines and it was installed successfully.

I am using erpnext on LAN with IP address and its working until now without errors. I am not expert you and others but can i create a custom form where i can have 3-4 fields and print the document? Actually, i need to give certificates to my herbal extract buyers for the accuracy of composition ratio. I know its difficult to create a separate application inside ERPNEXT so can i make some custom form using admin panel to achieve my goal?

Additionally, when i am browsing through firefox mozilla, its header is not looking appropriate please see this image here http://oi57.tinypic.com/20zv29i.jpg

Hi just interested why you would want to run ERPNext on 15.04? It’s not an LTS release and therefore is only supported for 9 months of which we are over halfway through now. It’s not really useful for production purposes and really only useful for software maintainers / developers for checking their software against later kernels and application stacks but not for someone who will not be doing of any of that.

Hi eamonn, It’s just because 15.04 is the lastest release from Ubuntu and it will be tough for me to upgrade later on once erpnext is installed. I thought that 15.04 should have major bug fixes and more options from its past releases. Additionally, I will be having software maintainers and developers in next 6 months to manage these things so they will handle the things later on.

ok @infork22 Given what you’ve said I’d say I see no reason why you would want to choose 15.04. All supported versions of Ubuntu Server get bug fixes so moving to a later version for bug fixes is a non issue. Unless you are planning on using the server for something other than ERPNext and that something else includes packages which are not available on 14.04LTS which I highly doubt then then again it a non issue. 6 months is too late for to get your support in place as by that stage 15.04 would no longer be supported by Ubuntu and therefore getting no bug fixes. As you can see by moving to 14.04 you really are on the most suitable version of Ubuntu Server.

Check these out for a bit more background:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LTS

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/LTSEnablementStack

Not sure of the details in what you are after, but can much more easily add the fields to the item form (rather than building a new form). You can add fields to any existing form (invoice, contact, company, etc) by clicking the MENU option and then customize when in that form. You can then move the fields to appear where you want and opt to print them as well.

Hi eamonn, Thanks for the message. Yes i saw the background about the versions link you sent me. That was the good information from you. I didn’t knew about that earlier but thanks for updating me. I will take care of these details.

Hi msj,
Yes i tried to add the fields in existing form but that will make things complicated for me. I just need a simple Certification form, where i can select the products and based on the products i should get the predefined parameters below the in table. Once i do this, i just need to select the batch number and then print it, that’s it. I tried creating a custom form but i don’t think its an easy task for me even from the admin because i am getting confused how to make it alive and from where to access these custom forms. Please see this snapshot, what i want to achieve with the custom form - http://oi60.tinypic.com/290rgqv.jpg

Have you tried using Quality Inspection? It can be printed similar to a certificate.
https://manual.erpnext.com/contents/stock/tools/quality-inspection

Select Inspection Required for the Item under section Inspection Criteria and set parameters for that item. Frappe Cloud