Install impossible on fresh ubuntu 18.04 server

Hello, I am trying to get my company interested in using ERPNext, it looks like possibly the best open source ERP system around.

However, I have been trying to install it on a server at home as a developer with a local database (wanting to be able to test the system and possibly open up a new employment position for myself), but it just refuses to install.

There are several possible options on the forum, however I cannot seem to get any to work.

Could I ask, has anyone managed to create a step by step installation tutorial that works within the last week?

There seems to have been several changes in the toolchain used but nothing has been controled.

It goes without saying that if I can’t get it working in my own time on my own system, that my employer won’t agree to installing it on the companies servers.

Regards
Mal

I have followed several youtube videos (which all miraculously work) as well as several online tutorials. All of them fail.

I recommend reading this:

and this

Basically, what I did was following the steps in these guides (did easy install, production setup).

I noticed we can’t install properly on a linux container, but should be fine on a VM.

If you are virtualize the just install there VM image, ERPNext is pre installed on Ubuntu 18

Try this, https://github.com/frappe/frappe_docker/blob/develop/development/README.md

Thanks for these, however my employer would want to have a dedicated server for this, and I would want to be able to build from source.

Something that I am not currently able to do.

Installing ERPNext from source can be difficult the first few times. But it’s always possible. I’ve done it many dozens of times since version 7. I installed the latest v13 Beta release about 5 minutes ago.

I cannot answer questions about the easy-install script. But manually installing is still working. It’s just not easy.

The key to success is getting all prerequisite components installed and -verified-. After that, ERPNext installs with just 5 commands.

Prerequisites

• Python 3.x.x. Make sure Python is working, and you know the exact path.
  • Python’s pip3 tool.
  • git
  • A working MariaDB server. Login ahead of time, create a test database, and run a quick query. Know your root password. Decide whether it’s going to be accessible over a Unix socket, or TCP IP.
  • MySQL/MariaDB CLI tool. ($ which mysql)
  • NodeJS. Make sure you know which NodeJS version you’re using, and that you’ve tested it.
  • Install the yarn package manager.
  • Install the Redis database server. As before, test it. Can you connect, and perform some basic operations?
    Note: By default, ERPNext will create 3 Redis instances during its installation. You can disable this by editing the Procfile before starting ERPnext.
  • wkhtml2pdf : Used for converting HTML reports to PDF documents.
  • Production Only: Install the Nginx web server.

Next Steps:

1. Install Bench: pip3 install frappe-bench.
    Then change your working directory to the parent of where you want to install Frappe and ERPNext.
  2. Install Frappe: bench init frappe-bench --<branch name> --python <path to python3>
  3. Add a Site: bench new-site <sitename> --db-name <databasename>
  4. Download ERPNext: bench get-app --branch <branch_name> erpnext
  5. Add ERPNext app to site: bench --site <sitename> install-app erpnext
  6. Start ERPNext with a Developent web server: bench start

I am glossing over many options, including creating new Linux users, groups, SQL and Redis configuration options, editing Python and JS package requirements.

But the above should get you very close. Close enough that you should be able to troubleshoot any errors, or share them on this forum.

~Brian

3 Likes

I have a script here which I have tested on ubuntu 16,18,20

1 Like

what’s your server environment at home ?