Install Frappe & ERPNext v13 beta from scratch 100% guarantee(22 steps) on ubuntu 20.04

When you installed snapd and fuse , did it all go through fine , no errors?
Also sudo snap install --classic certbot ? Did it install with no errors ?
Your site that you applying the ssl cert , you have added the A record with your ISP ?

If all is correct the sudo certbot --nginx should work …

Responses in above quote

I did a fresh install and anywhere “-beta” was written, I just deleted it, and i have installed version 13.
Very nice and simple guide. Thank you.
Appreciated

Maybe look at tech_hack that may be an alternative for you.
The method i used works for my environment.

Hello @adals

First of all, thank you so much for your detailed post. this helped a lot. I have finished all the above steps on WSL on a windows 10 PC. I am now able to access the software…

However, wondering, how could I get access to the development environment?
So I can see the code and get done the needful changes on it?

Ok i corrected something with a fresh install and even executed the sudo certbot --nginx

But now I’m getting a 404 page did i miss any step post that?

PS.: earlier I was not able to map a site to the SSL since the default site was site1.local which i changed before installing the app and making my domain the default site from the begining.

You using the IP or URL to access the site ?
Check all services are enabled and running , like nginx,mariadb

If you installed site1.local you just need to add custom domain in bench and point your custom domain to site1.local , A record must be custom site and the public IP.

I’m using the URL to access the site.

How do i enable or restart nginx & mariadb. My guess is it has stopped running.

I installed the site on a custom site and not on site1.local since i could not follow the custom domain commands and one installation failed for me (previous comments) if there is a way out for this it would be great as well :slight_smile:

Custom site is fine , ensure that the ‘A’ record is the same with your ISP and pointing to the correct IP. Also no need for a port number.

sudo systemctl restart nginx
sudo systemctl restart mariadb

You may need to regenerate the nginx configuration by runnning **bench setup nginx** and reload the nginx service by running **sudo service nginx reload to put your custom domain in effect*

I’ve done something incorrect. after following these, i am able to access the app again from the IP and then non- https://URL. But not through the https link

is there something you know i missed?

when you logged in via the IP the url shows as “connection not secure” ?
If yes then rerun the certbot command…

Also check when you ping the URL what IP comes back , ensure its the same as ‘A’ record.

not able to work this out. Can you help me with a link where i can get steps to add custom domain and redo the entire process?

Look at the install process and the ssl process + the update process to v13 , I’ve tested this process it works.

Thanks a lot @msalim79 !

Looks like there is some specific issue on AWS instances, I tried on two GCP ones the steps in the video worked like a charm - Hence currently using GCP instance. Would love to understand if there are a some changes for an AWS instance as the one on AWS is free for a year

Glad that you were able to install with some charm :wink:

1 Like

Hi all, with the entire back and forth that happened while i was installing ERPNext as a Novice, i have listed the final steps that worked for me on Google Cloud Instance right upto getting an SSL for the app. Sharing it for greater benefit, hoping it would help others as well.

ERPNext installation guide

Please feel free to comment on observations.

Thanks to @msalim79 @Tech_Hack_IT for their help.

5 Likes

sudo apt install git

Using snapd and certbot, how to renew the certs?
The last time I renew I think I got error. Sorry I’m not having my computer now so can’t elaborate the error.

Hi ,

I installed successfully on Ubuntu 20.04 using just the following steps:

1. Install Python3.7

2. Make sure all necessary packages are installed:

apt install python3-minimal build-essential python3-setuptools

1. Download the Easy Install script:

wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/frappe/bench/develop/install.py

1. Run the script specifying the python environment:

python3 install.py --production --version 13 --python python3.7 --verbose

I used the --verbose flag so I could tell what was going on during the installation and easily pin-point any errors

That’s it!

1 Like
sudo certbot renew