In HR is it possible to track attendance by the hour?

Hi,

I have recently started to go through the HR module and I would like to know that if it is possible to get the attendance of employees/ workers on hourly basis.
Would it be possible to link the system to an attendance system say like a biometric system and the attendance is uploaded automatically?
Also there is a question about the calculation of salary, since we are into manufacturing our workers are paid overtime and some of the office staff is not paid overtime but still all are tracked by the hour. Would it be possible to calculate the salaries of workers along with the overtime?

Where can I find more about the rules of HR as there seems to be a lot of rules involved?

1 Like
Hi Aditya,

1. You can upload the attendance by excel sheet (from your biometric system) - Currently, someone will have to upload it at day's end or early next day.
2. I don't think we have the ability to track hours / overtime, but we can add it.

regards,
- Rushabh

On Dec 28, 2010, at 9:49 PM, Aditya Duggal wrote:

Hi,

I have recently started to go through the HR module and I would like to know that if it is possible to get the attendance of employees/ workers on hourly basis.
Would it be possible to link the system to an attendance system say like a biometric system and the attendance is uploaded automatically?
Also there is a question about the calculation of salary, since we are into manufacturing our workers are paid overtime and some of the office staff is not paid overtime but still all are tracked by the hour. Would it be possible to calculate the salaries of workers along with the overtime?

Where can I find more about the rules of HR as there seems to be a lot of rules involved?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
erpnext

World's most affordable ERP - Rs 299/user/month

Hi,

I am trying to get the erpnext system to accept the attendance with the hours like the attendance for an employee can should be like this:

EMP1 08-04-2014 In Time 08:00
EMP1 08-04-2014 Out Time 17:30

Now I guess that the system does not let us have 2 attendance for the same employee on a given day and hence I would like to know if we could somehow add a sub-table in the attendance form which would take all the attendance for an employee. Like all the in and out times for an employee from a biometric reader.

Is it possible to add a table for such thing in the attendance form?

Or any other way we could do the same within the current system, would request a reply on this thread since it has been unreplied for 4 years now.

On Tuesday, December 28, 2010 9:49:49 PM UTC+5:30, Addy wrote:
Hi,

–

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "ERPNext User's Forum" group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to erpnext-user-forum+un…@googlegroups.com.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/erpnext-user-forum/2775ca72-3870-4ee8-9a35-1e12828fc509%40googlegroups.com.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Aditya,

This feature is already on our todo list. You can check with us for this feature via following Github issue.

On Tue, Apr 8, 2014 at 9:58 AM, Addy <ad...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,

I am trying to get the erpnext system to accept the attendance with the hours like the attendance for an employee can should be like this:

Now I guess that the system does not let us have 2 attendance for the same employee on a given day and hence I would like to know if we could somehow add a sub-table in the attendance form which would take all the attendance for an employee. Like all the in and out times for an employee from a biometric reader.

Or any other way we could do the same within the current system, would request a reply on this thread since it has been unreplied for 4 years now.

Hi,

–

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "ERPNext User's Forum" group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to erpnext-user-forum+un…@googlegroups.com.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/erpnext-user-forum/2775ca72-3870-4ee8-9a35-1e12828fc509%40googlegroups.com.

–

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/erpnext-user-forum/CAKSjkAHEj7t-BM63VFxm6H30e_VrmrDJb-Aw1FjGA9X-WW5qAw%40mail.gmail.com.

Is there any way I could make a make shift arrangement to upload the in and out time attendance to the attendance master,

On Tuesday, April 8, 2014 5:45:48 PM UTC+5:30, Umair wrote:
Aditya,

This feature is already on our todo list. You can check with us for this feature via following Github issue.

Hi,

Hi,

–

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “ERPNext User’s Forum” group.

–

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/erpnext-user-forum/fc70a81e-8d45-43d0-a5ce-9d632393b526%40googlegroups.com.

You should overwrite and pass/comment the function which validates the duplicate attendance record.

On 8 Apr 2014 19:00, "Addy" <ad...@gmail.com> wrote:
Is there any way I could make a make shift arrangement to upload the in and out time attendance to the attendance master,

On Tuesday, April 8, 2014 5:45:48 PM UTC+5:30, Umair wrote:
Aditya,

Hi,

Hi,

–

–

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/erpnext-user-forum/fc70a81e-8d45-43d0-a5ce-9d632393b526%40googlegroups.com.

–

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/erpnext-user-forum/CAMfNnTiqGec3eNNht6W3efwUhm05OjB_umxMcdajO004Ak7Uow%40mail.gmail.com.

@rmehta @nabin @mailmemumbai is there any update on this feature guys?

@ramielian please don’t tag users personally unless its really important!

This is an open source project, if you find something missing you are welcome to build / sponsor it and contribute it back to the community.

@rmehta Hey guys is this getting done if not we are going to be adding it for a company we are working with.

My company uses Time Logs to keep track of all the employee hours. Not sure why this isn’t a solution because it works great for us. There probably could be some reporting tools developed to track overtime hours and missed days, but overall it is really good.

@Ben_Cornwell_Mott if not too much hassle … would you mind to describe the steps your are following?

@Ben_Cornwell_Mott we are planning on adding the time log functionality to the attendance system. I thinking me might take it a step further and develop a simple attendance app in meteor that they can install on there phone so they can punch-in and out during the day.

1 Like

not really knowing how this works but … can’t everybody who is a user of ERPNext can log in to it via the ERPNExt app or even just in the browser of a phone and do whatever can be done? So I wouldn’t really know what a specific attendance app would be needed for

What really would be a great development would be a fingerprint scanner that can log directly into ERPNext. There is something in the Odoo world I remember using arduino board.

@vrms im guessing you are talking about something like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Biometric-Fingerprint-Attendance-Time-Clock-password-and-ID-card-New-Brand-/311358229123?hash=item487e658a83:g:ab4AAOSwv0tVVuIo…

My plan for the app in the ends is to be able to do time and attendance, track care millage, cost of gas, client meals, etc, The first version of the app would be for a small tablet or pc that they can punch in and out of. It is all available in ERPnext but for this particular company they have no need for most of their employees to log in to the ERP. It is a plant were they manufacturer rope. It is all shift work.

isn’t that more like only using some parts of ERPNext (time and attendance, track care millage, cost of gas, client meals, etc,) just not everything?

I think ERPNext is designed to accommodate such a scenario by just showing the apps someone needs to that someone (while other stuff is hidden).

If I am not mistaken you would track those infos in a separate system (your phone app) outside of ERPNext and then ? Will you import that data into ERPNExt or just don’t integrate?

I’d say (personal opinion here) that might not be the ideal way to approach an ERP. I’d give everybody the access that person needs and work directly in the ERP even if that’s just access to some (mabe very small) parts of the system.

@vrms well that the great thing everyone is entitled to their option. To me an ERP is a system covers 90 percent of your business and is designed to be integrated with other applications. There is not really any difference between an app or an bio metric time and attendance system. They both have to be integrated in the same way.

1 Like

I think what you are proposing is smart - though there are risks if you are distributing the app to the employees (do they need to be in the building to use the app, if not, can they set their attendance remotely (=BAD)).

I would suggest the following:
(a) Buy a fingerprint scanner, RFID scanner, or whatever your preferred method of distributing is.
(b) Write a small program that processes the swipe in and swipe outs from this device and uses the REST API to generate time logs based on the input data.

To explain (b):
Each user has an identifier (fingerprint ID, RFID identifier, etc). The program you write has a list of all the users. When the user swipes in, the program sends a REST API message to ERPNext to see if there are any open time logs for the user. If there are not, the system creates a new time log where the user/employee is set, as well as the start time, activity type, etc. If there is an active time log for the user, the system updates the time log with the end time and then submits it. The program can then find out the total hours worked in that shift and report it back to the user through the interface (if needed).

This should be a very simple program to write. You could even create a custom field for employees/users that keeps track of what their RFID identifier (or fingerprint “code”?) was so that the program doesn’t have to store that list internally.

What do you do if a user forgets to swipe in/out? You’d need to have some sort of scheduled task that makes sure that the user time logs can’t be open (from start time to current time) for more than 16 hours or something. If they do, there should be a message sent to HR so they can investigate. Otherwise the next time the employee tries to sign in the log would end and they’d have a 24 hr shift. If they forget to swipe in, you could have the same issue starting when they swipe out.

Finally, (and it’s just my personal opinion) I think I agree with @vrms that giving employees access to ERPNext is the ideal way to move forward, if you are going to be having them submit car mileage, gas receipts, etc. It seems like a lot of duplicating work to implement the same functionality as ERPNext already has. If it’s just signing in and out for attendance it can be cumbersome, but beyond that I don’t see any reason not to just use ERPNext.

2 Likes

There is an eTimeclock app by the ePayroll company I am dealing with. The employers have to snap a photo of themselves and the GPS location info is also tagged when they clock in/out attendance.
https://justlogin.com/time-attendance-software/

@woakes070048 maybe you can take a look at this. I think it will work great for ERPnext too.

1 Like

@ wdg that is something close to what I was thinking of building but the picture and gps location is cool an i never thought of that. My ultimate goal is to tie ERPNext into a jobs board (GitHub - nate-strauser/wework: We Work Meteor, a job board and developer directory for Meteor specific work) and have onboading from the site to the erp. Thanks

2 Likes

Does anyone integrated ERPNext with Biometric Attendance?