HyperV Environment

I would like to place ERPnext on a HyperV instance. I would also like to be able to use the virtual image provided. Is this possible?

Welcome brandon72501,

One way to run ERPNext is in VirtualBox with the ova file from https://erpnext.com/download

In my case I unpack the ova to yield a vmdk file that I convert to a qcow2 to run in QEMU-KVM hosted on CentOS 7.

For your HyperV case this suggests that is a possible option too https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/systemcenter/en-US/1bb421b3-8251-4026-b6b0-5398073cafb1/how-to-convert-virtualbox-hdd-to-hyperv-hdd?forum=virtualmachingmgrhyperv

I think it is simply a matter of using the prescribed tools to convert the vm image file formats?

Thanks for your reply!

This does not show anything with a new VM in HyperV with a fresh install of ERPnext. There is currently no install of ERPnext at all. The VM has no operating system installed currently.

“One way to run ERPNext is in VirtualBox with the ova file from https://erpnext.com/download

Just to clarify this ova image file (“the VM image”) constitutes both the ERPNext instance that runs on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS, I think.

How to convert that VM image to run as a guest hosted on HyperV, you will need to read the MS literature.

I hope this helps.

The link provided assumes that a box is already running to make a conversion. I am needing to see if it is possible from the ground up.

So you seek to identify what Linux candidates that run ERPNext, that will run satisfactorily as well on HyperV.

And here your forum search on HyperV came up empty.

On the Linux host list, ERPNext runs on Ubuntu, CentOS and Debian.

So maybe best to try a Microsoft HyperV forum for pointers?

This may help too Supported Linux and FreeBSD virtual machines for Hyper-V on Windows Server and Windows | Microsoft Learn

No this issue is that I have a HyperV instance ready for the operating system. Therefore the virtualbox is not needed, but the image that is provided by ERPnext is for virtualbox. I need to be able to install it on the HyperV instance if possible. This would then put Ubuntu in place if I understand correctly.

yes what you seek is possible

However since the ERPNext+Ubuntu image file download is targeted to run on VirtualBox, you must convert that download to retarget it to run instead on HyperV.

So for example use this convert process Migrate VirtualBox VMs to Hyper-V and Azure - Cloudbase Solutions

If this does help you clarify matters perhaps others can do so at this point

I did the operation according to Convert OVA to VHDX for Hyper-V

This caused errors in Powershell.

ConvertTo-MvmcVirtualHardDisk : The entry 519b3f95-62bc-4a3b-8a21-93c303c9aa44 is not a supported disk database entry
for the descriptor.
At line:1 char:1

• ConvertTo-MvmcVirtualHardDisk -SourceLiteralPath "C:\Users\Administrator\Desktop …
  •   + CategoryInfo          : WriteError: (Microsoft.Accel...nversionService:DriveConversionService) [ConvertTo-MvmcVi
     rtualHardDisk], VmdkDescriptorParseException
      + FullyQualifiedErrorId : DiskConversion,Microsoft.Accelerators.Mvmc.Cmdlet.Commands.ConvertToMvmcVirtualHardDiskC
     ommand

ConvertTo-MvmcVirtualHardDisk : One or more errors occurred.
At line:1 char:1

• ConvertTo-MvmcVirtualHardDisk -SourceLiteralPath "C:\Users\Administrator\Desktop …
  •   + CategoryInfo          : WriteError: (Microsoft.Accel...nversionService:DriveConversionService) [ConvertTo-MvmcVi
     rtualHardDisk], AggregateException
      + FullyQualifiedErrorId : DiskConversion,Microsoft.Accelerators.Mvmc.Cmdlet.Commands.ConvertToMvmcVirtualHardDiskCommand

Excellent news, you will want to cast around to find what works for tools and forum support for your particular case.

Handy Linux tools may solve your format convert problem qemu-img for WIndows - Cloudbase Solutions

qemu-img convert source.img -O vhdx -o subformat=dynamic dest.vhdx

You may have to persist and experiment - Google is your friend here.

What you learn and can pass on here will be appreciated by lots, thanks.