How to show custom fields in the Website

Hi,

The website module is a great addition to the ever growing feature list of erpnext. But when I am trying to show my items on website then the item is shown with a auto generated item starting with the image of the first letter of the item code and just the description.

Now my question is that how can we add specifications of each item since description even HTML one cannot hold all the specs. Is it possible to like have a sub-section in each item which shows the specifications and picks only those specification (custom) fields from item master which are filled with data.

A very good example of the kind of webstore is this one. Now this website also has multiple seach criteria, like by item code (which is already available) and also by groups and also by specs which are used as filters.

Can we anytime soon reach that kind of organisation in our data.

Hi, It was this posting that made me realize I missed info on website update that i was eagerly awaiting.

Found Anand’'s update in the technical forum from a few days ago. I do follow the user forum almost daily, the tech forum not.
Anyway, tested the functionality, and indeed works fine.

However, I fully agree with Addy’s observations: what can be expected next.

Basically, for the end user the functionality is similar (or same) as the version of January12, that was abondoned for a technical/programming/coding/speed reason I guess.

Observations:

1) If a “similar product” listing is generated it (the similarity)  should somehow be (end) user controlled. Now, erpenext decides what is similar and that produces nonsense results.
2) Ideally, following Addy’s observation, at the right there are multiple filter fields, follwing the modern current design found in many website with a datebase behind it. 
3) Fields like item_id,name,description are generally for the user of the ERpnext system (company employee’s). The description fields should not interfere with concise product description appearing in the item tables using POS, invoice, PO, PV … and are also printed on invoices, delivery notes etc.
4) So there should be a field in Item where “webinfo” can be placed, that is not shown on the previous mentioned outputs (item tables, invoices, delivery notes)
5) I believe price info is absolutely crucial. Related to this, ideally, the user (system manager) decides which fields of item, inventory, price are to be placed under products.

If above is implemented, customers can conveniently browse/search for articles.

Without going into full ecommerce functionality, an simple order mechanism where the visitor can select items and quantity and that will generate an email to a predefined email address, would hopefully also become available (soon).

Rushabh & co, please shed some light on what to expect when (approx). rgds robert

On Thursday, July 19, 2012 12:02:47 PM UTC+2, Addy wrote:
Hi,

The website module is a great addition to the ever growing feature list of erpnext. But when I am trying to show my items on website then the item is shown with a auto generated item starting with the image of the first letter of the item code and just the description.

Now my question is that how can we add specifications of each item since description even HTML one cannot hold all the specs. Is it possible to like have a sub-section in each item which shows the specifications and picks only those specification (custom) fields from item master which are filled with data.

A very good example of the kind of webstore is this one. Now this website also has multiple seach criteria, like by item code (which is already available) and also by groups and also by specs which are used as filters.

<div style="font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 13px; ">Hi Aditya and&nbsp;Robert,</div><div style="font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 13px; "><br></div><div style="font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 13px; ">Thanks for your inputs.</div><div style="font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 13px; "><br></div><div style="font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 13px; ">About existing features:</div><div style="font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 13px; ">* You can list products by checking "Show in Website". More options open up once checked.</div><div style="font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 13px; ">* You can add Short / Long Web Description.</div><div style="font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 13px; ">* You can select the image to be displayed.</div><div style="font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 13px; ">* The search field searches Item Code, Item Name and Descriptions.</div><div style="font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 13px; ">* Similar Products section shows Items in the same Item Group.</div><div style="font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 13px; "><br></div><div style="font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 13px; "><br></div><div style="font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 13px; ">We have put creating a shopping cart on hold as it is not technically feasible to do so at this stage. We will implement your suggestions when we work on the shopping cart, as the features you mentioned complement the shopping cart functionality.</div><div style="font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 13px; "><br></div><div style="font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 13px; ">There is no end date for implementing shopping cart, as its development is dependent on shifting selling and accounting related calculations and print formats to server side.</div><div><div><br></div><div>We request you to please wait some more.</div><div><br></div><div>Thanks,</div><div>Anand.</div><div><br></div><div><br></div><div>Sent with <a href="http://www.sparrowmailapp.com/?sig">Sparrow</a></div><div><br></div></div>

<p style="color: #A0A0A8;">On Tuesday 24 July 2012 at 2:46 PM, robert wrote:</p>
            <blockquote type="cite" style="border-left-style:solid;border-width:1px;margin-left:0px;padding-left:10px;">
                <span><div><div>Hi, It was this posting that made me realize I missed info on website update that i was eagerly awaiting.<div><br></div><div>Found Anand''s update in the technical forum from a few days ago. I do follow the user forum almost daily, the tech forum not.</div><div>Anyway, tested the functionality, and indeed works fine.</div><div><br></div><div>However, I fully agree with Addy's observations: what can be expected next.</div><div><br></div><div>Basically, for the end user the functionality is similar (or same) as the version of January12, that was abondoned for a technical/programming/coding/speed reason I guess.</div><div><br></div><div>Observations:</div><div><br></div><div>1) If a "similar product" listing is generated it (the similarity) &nbsp;should somehow be (end) user controlled. Now, erpenext decides what is similar and that produces nonsense results.</div><div>2) Ideally, following Addy's observation, at the right there are multiple filter fields, follwing the modern current design found in many website with a datebase behind it.&nbsp;</div><div>3) Fields like item_id,name,description are generally for the user of the ERpnext system (company employee's). The description fields should not interfere with concise product description appearing in the item tables using POS, invoice, PO, PV ...... and are also printed on invoices, delivery notes etc.</div><div>4) So there should be a field in Item where "webinfo" can be placed, that is not shown on the previous mentioned outputs (item tables, invoices, delivery notes)</div><div>5) I believe price info is absolutely crucial. Related to this, ideally, the user (system manager) decides which fields of item, inventory, price are to be placed under products.</div><div><br></div><div>*********</div><div>If above is implemented, customers can conveniently browse/search for articles.</div><div><br></div><div>Without going into full ecommerce functionality, an simple order mechanism where the visitor can select items and quantity and that will generate an email to a predefined email address, would hopefully also become available (soon).</div><div><br></div><div><br></div><div><br></div><div>Rushabh &amp; co, please shed some light on what to expect when (approx). rgds robert</div><div><br></div><div><br></div><div><br></div><div><br></div><div><br></div><div><br></div><div><br></div><div><br></div><div><br></div><div><br></div><div><br></div><div><br>On Thursday, July 19, 2012 12:02:47 PM UTC+2, Addy wrote:<blockquote type="cite"><div>Hi,<br><br>The website module is a great addition to the ever growing feature list of erpnext. But when I am trying to show my items on website then the item is shown with a auto generated item starting with the image of the first letter of the item code and just the description.<br><br>Now my question is that how can we add specifications of each item since description even HTML one cannot hold all the specs. Is it possible to like have a sub-section in each item which shows the specifications and picks only those specification (custom) fields from item master which are filled with data.<br><br>A very good example of the kind of webstore is <a href="http://www1.mscdirect.com/cgi/NNSRIT2?PMAKA=00309427&amp;PMPXNO=1660990&amp;cm_re=ItemDetail-_-ResultListing-_-SearchResults" target="_blank">this one</a>. Now this website also has multiple seach criteria, like by item code (which is already available) and also by groups and also by specs which are used as filters.<br><br>Can we anytime soon reach that kind of organisation in our data.<br></div></blockquote></div></div></div></span>

</blockquote>

<div>
                <br>
            </div>

hi Anand,

I do have (some) apprehension of priorities in development of Erpnext. Choices have to be made****.

However, to allow users to advertise there products on te website some minimum requirements have to be observed.

to search filter data: categories and search>>>

1) The product page is completely auto-generated. Consider a set-up page, where eg some extra text is allowed explaining how to search.

2) Fetching the price is I believe a must, that should not be delayed until further eCommerce development. A listing without price info will just scare people away!!.
In other words I cannot use the nice website functionality, due to lacking prices. 

I am not a programmer (anymore) but cannot believe that retrieving the price info is a extremely complex task; yes, some kind of setup page for products is needed because one has to indicate which pricelist to be used for the web. (or an extra field in items: web_price_list).

regards

Robert

Hi,

One more thing:

Now, by default, name and description are shown.
I do not use the field name ( when i started to use erpnext i decided, rightly or wrongly to put the suppliers article code here, but i do not maintain this)
So for me, Id (that contains our own article code, and description are the “key fields”)

Of course other users may have other requirements, so , again, the fields from items displayed should be user-selectable.
A “products set-up page” would also allow to define which fields to show. Ideally, fields from Item (that should not be such a problem i believe) and linked fields, such as price 

robert

Hi,

Robert,

One more thing:

Now, by default, name and description are shown.
I do not use the field name ( when i started to use erpnext i decided, rightly or wrongly to put the suppliers article code here, but i do not maintain this)
So for me, Id (that contains our own article code, and description are the "key fields")

Of course other users may have other requirements, so , again, the fields from items displayed should be user-selectable.
A "products set-up page" would also allow to define which fields to show. Ideally, fields from Item (that should not be such a problem i believe) and linked fields, such as price 

Great suggestion - we will surely consider it.

robert

Hi,

Robert,

I get intimidated when I see the features suggestion page. There is just overwhelming work to be done by the three developers.

Though each developer is free to choose his priorities, the priorities from my end are:

1. Make sure the product works as explained in the manual and improve usability.
2. Make sure future release don't cause pain to current users (automated testing - Nabin is working on this).
3. Web shop (not planned).
4. Accounting and inventory integration (Nabin)
5. Multi-lingual (not planned).

Unless by some magic, we get a whole bunch of paying customers or someone from the community starts contributing, I strongly believe #1 and #2 are very critical to the long term success of the project.

In the mean-time, its great to get reminded by customers like you and Aditya - it gives us a kick to get started :)

best,
Rushabh

hi Anand,

I do have (some) apprehension of priorities in development of Erpnext. Choices have to be made****.

However, to allow users to advertise there products on te website some minimum requirements have to be observed.

to search filter data: categories and search>>>

1) The product page is completely auto-generated. Consider a set-up page, where eg some extra text is allowed explaining how to search.

2) Fetching the price is I believe a must, that should not be delayed until further eCommerce development. A listing without price info will just scare people away!!.
In other words I cannot use the nice website functionality, due to lacking prices. 

I am not a programmer (anymore) but cannot believe that retrieving the price info is a extremely complex task; yes, some kind of setup page for products is needed because one has to indicate which pricelist to be used for the web. (or an extra field in items: web_price_list).

regards

Robert

Hi,

Hi Rushabh,

Your team did great since I started to use Erpnext. Especially the major interface upgrade was a big step.

Your priorities are clear now. And indeed #1 and #2 are key for success.

You should also understand that for endusers it is difficult to judge how complex a certain implementation wish is: Multilingual> i guess a big job. A full fledged ecommerce extention, probably the same.

At the other hand, as i pointed out, investing time and energy in the webmodule, with a product listing operational, but just some small improvements is a different discussion.

But again I cannot judge the time needed to make the improvement, basically user selectable fields including price. In the dinosaurus i used once in the 1980/early 90’s Dbase (than the dominant database developement environment) just adding a existing field to a screen was a few lines of code.

Times are changing may be. Somethings get easier others more complex.

rgds robert

Hi,

Robert,

Hi Rushabh,

Your team did great since I started to use Erpnext. Especially the major interface upgrade was a big step.

Your priorities are clear now. And indeed #1 and #2 are key for success.

Thanks :) the jump we are anticipating with the current "refinement" round will be bigger than the UI upgrades. The way it stands, there are a lot of things I want to see in the system before we can market it further.

You should also understand that for endusers it is difficult to judge how complex a certain implementation wish is: Multilingual> i guess a big job. A full fledged ecommerce extention, probably the same.

At the other hand, as i pointed out, investing time and energy in the webmodule, with a product listing operational, but just some small improvements is a different discussion.

The biggest thing for developers is context. When you are immersed in a problem it is really hard to switch and if you do, you lose all the investment you made getting into the "groove" to solve the problem. Also in an interconnected product like ERPNext, most of the changes will affect other parts of the system, so without a comprehensive test suite (which we are building) - this can be problematic. Hence the test suite is absolutely critical if we want to make a lot of changes with confidence that it will not affect quality.

But again I cannot judge the time needed to make the improvement, basically user selectable fields including price. In the dinosaurus i used once in the 1980/early 90's Dbase (than the dominant database developement environment) just adding a existing field to a screen was a few lines of code.

Times are changing may be. Somethings get easier others more complex.

rgds robert

Hi,