How to Manage Fixed Assets in an ERP?

I am planning to start to manage the Fixed assets with the help of ERP.

I would like to know how is that possible, the current scheme of things which is in my mind is like this:

• Create a Fixed Asset WAREHOUSE
  • Then Create an Inventory code say if we want to track all the UPS (Uninterrupted Power Source and not the UPS delivery)  in organisation then we would create an Item code for UPS which would be having a “YES” against the SERIALISED inventory
  • Now for every UPS we would create a SERIAL NO under the item code of UPS

Now the problem or things which I think the ERP cannot do as of NOW are:

• Track the maintenance of the Fixed Assets
    • This is for a particular case of Machinery which is owned in the Organisation. Suppose we have like 10 machines of a single type then should be create 10 separate item codes for those machines or should we create 10 separate SERIAL numbers or WE SHOULD CREATE WORKSTATION instead of ITEM CODES.
    • How can we track the maintanence of these machines, like a repair done on a particular machine and so on and so forth.

@Rushabh: You might want to come into this discussion as your inputs would be highly appreciated on this matter.

Aditya,

Replies below:

I am planning to start to manage the Fixed assets with the help of ERP.

I would like to know how is that possible, the current scheme of things which is in my mind is like this:
  • Create a Fixed Asset WAREHOUSE
  • Then Create an Inventory code say if we want to track all the UPS (Uninterrupted Power Source and not the UPS delivery)  in organisation then we would create an Item code for UPS which would be having a "YES" against the SERIALISED inventory
  • Now for every UPS we would create a SERIAL NO under the item code of UPS

This is correct

Now the problem or things which I think the ERP cannot do as of NOW are:

• Track the maintenance of the Fixed Assets
    • This is for a particular case of Machinery which is owned in the Organisation. Suppose we have like 10 machines of a single type then should be create 10 separate item codes for those machines or should we create 10 separate SERIAL numbers or WE SHOULD CREATE WORKSTATION instead of ITEM CODES.
Create one item code and 10 serial numbers. Workstations are only for calculating manufacturing costs on Bill of Materials.

• How can we track the maintanence of these machines, like a repair done on a particular machine and so on and so forth.
Use Maintenance Schedule from the Support module. Ideally this should be usable for both internal and external scheduling. Currently the Customer field is mandatory. Let me see if we can modify the form so that it can be used both for internal and external customers.

@Rushabh: You might want to come into this discussion as your inputs would be highly appreciated on this matter.