Try ERPNext Buy Support Partners Foundation

How to make a common Customer & Supplier?

In real business situation there are many times when there are situations when a company is your Customer as well as Supplier.


I would like to know if this kind of a thing is possible in the current system or not. If it is possible then how and if not then would there be any plans to do make this thing possible or we should create separate entities for Suppliers and Customers.
1 Like

Hi Aditya,

System won’t allow adding supplier same as customer (and vice versa), because with customer / supplier record, system also creates an accounting ledger in chart of account.

When try adding customer / supplier which already exist, it actually throws validation when find account head with same name existing.


When saving customer as supplier, make a little change in name to bring uniqueness.

Hope this helps.

Thanks and regards,
Umair Sayyed

On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 1:58 PM, Aditya Duggal <ad…@gmail.com> wrote:
In real business situation there are many times when there are situations when a company is your Customer as well as Supplier.

I would like to know if this kind of a thing is possible in the current system or not. If it is possible then how and if not then would there be any plans to do make this thing possible or we should create separate entities for Suppliers and Customers.



--
Thanks and Regards,
Umair Sayyed
www.erpnext.com

---- ERPNext - World's most affordable ERP ----

Hi
we have some customer some times we buy goods from them or we have some supplier some time we sell some thing to them , is it any way to merge one customer with supplier , so when we open customer account we can see goods be purchase from customer ?
for example in open erp we can do like this some one supplier and customer .
Regards


On Tuesday, January 31, 2012 12:40:57 PM UTC+4, Umair Sayyed wrote:

Hi Aditya,

System won’t allow adding supplier same as customer (and vice versa), because with customer / supplier record, system also creates an accounting ledger in chart of account.

When try adding customer / supplier which already exist, it actually throws validation when find account head with same name existing.


When saving customer as supplier, make a little change in name to bring uniqueness.

Hope this helps.

Thanks and regards,
Umair Sayyed

On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 1:58 PM, Aditya Duggal <ad…@gmail.com> wrote:
In real business situation there are many times when there are situations when a company is your Customer as well as Supplier.

I would like to know if this kind of a thing is possible in the current system or not. If it is possible then how and if not then would there be any plans to do make this thing possible or we should create separate entities for Suppliers and Customers.



--
Thanks and Regards,
Umair Sayyed
www.erpnext.com

---- ERPNext - World's most affordable ERP ----

–

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “ERPNext User’s Forum” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to erpnext-user-forum+un...@googlegroups.com.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

 

 

Hi,

Unfortunately not at the moment, you will have to create two slightly different accounts.

Party X - Customer, Party X - Supplier

In our roadmap we plant to merge the Customer and Supplier in one table. That might take 2-4 months.

best,
Rushabh




On Sun, Jun 23, 2013 at 9:52 PM, meisam negini <ne...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi
we have some customer some times we buy goods from them or we have some supplier some time we sell some thing to them , is it any way to merge one customer with supplier , so when we open customer account we can see goods be purchase from customer ?
for example in open erp we can do like this some one supplier and customer .
Regards


On Tuesday, January 31, 2012 12:40:57 PM UTC+4, Umair Sayyed wrote:
Hi Aditya,

System won't allow adding supplier same as customer (and vice versa), because with customer / supplier record, system also creates an accounting ledger in chart of account.

When try adding customer / supplier which already exist, it actually throws validation when find account head with same name existing.


When saving customer as supplier, make a little change in name to bring uniqueness.

Hope this helps.

Thanks and regards,
Umair Sayyed

On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 1:58 PM, Aditya Duggal <ad…@gmail.com> wrote:
In real business situation there are many times when there are situations when a company is your Customer as well as Supplier.


I would like to know if this kind of a thing is possible in the current system or not. If it is possible then how and if not then would there be any plans to do make this thing possible or we should create separate entities for Suppliers and Customers.



--
Thanks and Regards,

Umair Sayyed
www.erpnext.com

---- ERPNext - World’s most affordable ERP ----


–

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “ERPNext User’s Forum” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to erpnext-user-forum+un…@googlegroups.com.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.








–



Twitter: @rushabh_mehta

–

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “ERPNext User’s Forum” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to erpnext-user-forum+un...@googlegroups.com.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

 

 

I think we can all wait for this for some time, but do let us know whenever this is done so that we could merge the customer and supplier.

On Monday, 24 June 2013 10:00:20 UTC+5:30, Rushabh Mehta wrote:

Hi,

Unfortunately not at the moment, you will have to create two slightly different accounts.

Party X - Customer, Party X - Supplier


In our roadmap we plant to merge the Customer and Supplier in one table. That might take 2-4 months.

best,
Rushabh





On Sun, Jun 23, 2013 at 9:52 PM, meisam negini <ne…@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi
we have some customer some times we buy goods from them or we have some supplier some time we sell some thing to them , is it any way to merge one customer with supplier , so when we open customer account we can see goods be purchase from customer ?
for example in open erp we can do like this some one supplier and customer .
Regards


On Tuesday, January 31, 2012 12:40:57 PM UTC+4, Umair Sayyed wrote:
Hi Aditya,

System won't allow adding supplier same as customer (and vice versa), because with customer / supplier record, system also creates an accounting ledger in chart of account.

When try adding customer / supplier which already exist, it actually throws validation when find account head with same name existing.


When saving customer as supplier, make a little change in name to bring uniqueness.

Hope this helps.

Thanks and regards,
Umair Sayyed

On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 1:58 PM, Aditya Duggal <ad…@gmail.com> wrote:
In real business situation there are many times when there are situations when a company is your Customer as well as Supplier.


I would like to know if this kind of a thing is possible in the current system or not. If it is possible then how and if not then would there be any plans to do make this thing possible or we should create separate entities for Suppliers and Customers.



--
Thanks and Regards,

Umair Sayyed
www.erpnext.com

---- ERPNext - World’s most affordable ERP ----


–

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “ERPNext User’s Forum” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to erpnext-user-forum+un…@googlegroups.com.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

 

 




–



–

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “ERPNext User’s Forum” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to erpnext-user-forum+un...@googlegroups.com.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

 

 

I would agree with Aditya and meisam. I would like you to count me in as well as another user who finds such cases wherein the customer is also the supplier. Look forward to your release 


Vikram

On Tuesday, January 31, 2012 1:58:40 PM UTC+5:30, Addy wrote:
In real business situation there are many times when there are situations when a company is your Customer as well as Supplier.

I would like to know if this kind of a thing is possible in the current system or not. If it is possible then how and if not then would there be any plans to do make this thing possible or we should create separate entities for Suppliers and Customers.

–

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “ERPNext User’s Forum” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to erpnext-user-forum+un...@googlegroups.com.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

 

 

We will start working on "Party model" on the current month where there will be a common table for customers and suppliers. That will solve the problem.

On 03-Jul-2013, at 6:02 PM, vi...@agrilife.in wrote:

I would agree with Aditya and meisam. I would like you to count me in as well as another user who finds such cases wherein the customer is also the supplier. Look forward to your release 

Vikram

On Tuesday, January 31, 2012 1:58:40 PM UTC+5:30, Addy wrote:
In real business situation there are many times when there are situations when a company is your Customer as well as Supplier.

I would like to know if this kind of a thing is possible in the current system or not. If it is possible then how and if not then would there be any plans to do make this thing possible or we should create separate entities for Suppliers and Customers.

–

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “ERPNext User’s Forum” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to erpnext-user-forum+un…@googlegroups.com.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

 

 


–

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “ERPNext User’s Forum” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to erpnext-user-forum+un...@googlegroups.com.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

 

 

1 Like
Hello, is this feature done? I am starting in ERPNext, and I don't want to do a lot of changes later on. If there is still a lot of time until the common customer&supplier is done please let me know so that I go ahead with the renaming trick..

Regards,
Ahmed

On Wednesday, July 3, 2013 4:42:10 PM UTC+4, Nabin Hait wrote:
We will start working on "Party model" on the current month where there will be a common table for customers and suppliers. That will solve the problem.


–

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “ERPNext User’s Forum” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to erpnext-user-forum+un…@googlegroups.com.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/erpnext-user-forum/57690637-7ba4-4b54-a4f9-63382eb8b10f%40googlegroups.com.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

We are going to keep customer and supplier in different tables. You can continue with them having different names for now. 

Sent from my phone

On 17-Jul-2014, at 1:12, Ahmed Samir <ah...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello, is this feature done? I am starting in ERPNext, and I don't want to do a lot of changes later on. If there is still a lot of time until the common customer&supplier is done please let me know so that I go ahead with the renaming trick..

Regards,
Ahmed

On Wednesday, July 3, 2013 4:42:10 PM UTC+4, Nabin Hait wrote:
We will start working on "Party model" on the current month where there will be a common table for customers and suppliers. That will solve the problem.


–

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “ERPNext User’s Forum” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to erpnext-user-forum+un…@googlegroups.com.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/erpnext-user-forum/57690637-7ba4-4b54-a4f9-63382eb8b10f%40googlegroups.com.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

–

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “ERPNext User’s Forum” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to erpnext-user-forum+un…@googlegroups.com.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/erpnext-user-forum/E1AC8EC5-898B-43A7-812A-43661D3FBB18%40iwebnotes.com.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Hi Team,

Any update on how to do this in the version 4. I have searched and could not find and update of how to use the Party Model, of if it has been implemented.

We also have suppliers who are customers and would like to see how this works in erpnext.

I dont know how much code is involved but I would recommend changing to Business Partner and then we can fill whether that BP is customer, lead, supplier or any other type it can be and fill the relevant info into the customer or supplier tables, creating the general ledger accounts etc.

Please direct me to docs for more info.

Thanks.

regards
Hemant

Party Model is due in Version 5, but you will have to create separte records (as on now). In v5 you can have the same name though.

when the v5 launched?

We are hoping before 2015

Single table for supplier & customer would be a pathetic design…I dont think any ERP does that…what is required a link between the supplier & customer…anyway you guys first need to provide customer & supplier sites in the product…then should allow relationship between them…this is required in any standard business as you need to do AP/AR netting many times

is it available now ?

I don’t think Contra or Netting is available.

sales items a gainst Customer ABC
so lets imagine that customer ABC will Buy
Item 1 = 100 us
item 2 = 200 us
item 3 = 400
so his total purchases = 100+200+400= 700 US

and i will buy an item =600 US from that customer “who wil act now as a supplier”
so his debit now is only 700-600=100

But if i have two entry customer , supplier a gainst same person
ofcourse we cant do that scenario because both are different from database view

so Dear did u offer that option yet ?

2 Likes

Hi Friends,

I have started a bounty for this feature, please see if you guys can contribute and we can get this done.

1 Like

@rmehta is it possible to do it the product way?

i.e. in product creation, form asks if item is sale item or is purchase item or both.
this will be easiest way to add in my opinion.

I don’t think that will solve the problem of canceling invoices against one another.