How to keep data safe

Hi, After testing, I found erpnext really great.

After lot of struggle, I installed it successfully on Alibaba cloud but the challenge is I am not developer and afraid what if there will be a bug or what if system will go down, how will i fix after inputting lot of data.

I did experiments/ play around erpnext on virtualbox and it always break down with message i.e sorry, we will come down, or internal server error
Searched on web and tried all the solutions but no success.

Is there any straight forward way to backup and restore the data and how can i keep my data secure / bug free?

Any software of any type needs a developer if you need to extend it or do something that is not available for it out-of-the-box.

Although ERPnext is supposed to work flawlessly on your virtual box, you need to understand the system and how it works if you want to do a custom or manual installation or even using the virtual server image.

If you managed to install the software and set it up to your liking, you can easily setup auto backups via integration with google drive, dropbox and AWS S3 buckets.

If you want something that is 100% reliable without a developer with auto-updates and auto managed, you can go with the ERPnext paid version which starts at 25$ / month (at the time of writing this post), more details in here: ERPNext Pricing 2022

First let me welcome you to the forum. Everyone here has been helpful and when you learn more please add to the experience by helping others when you can.

In the mean time…

Maybe have a look at this:

It gives you more control than some of the other options available.

Hope it helps…

BKM

1 Like

Thanks alot, i will have a look.

You can also consider to install it inside an lxd container. LXD now allows you to auto snapshot at desired frequency with auto expiry of snapshots. So your whole “machine” will be backed up - further you can easily export snapshot as a compressed tar file - to remote location if needed… I am using LXD in production and able to add additional containers to same VM - allowing for better resource utilization. Search on the forum - you will find install instructions. It is like installing inside any VM - just add “–container” flag to the install script command.

1 Like

Thanks a lot for this. Seems the last time you updated was 2019. Is there any plan for new additions?

No. It still performs extremely well. I am running this for all of my clients at this time. It has saved several of my clients over the past 2 years from situation ranging from disgruntled employee sabotage to DoS attacks on parts of the internet backbone. Even the occasional “Oops” deleting by a business owner that didn’t mean to wipe out his data.

No reason to change something that seems to work this well. I have it on Ubuntu servers from v14.04 all the way up to v20.04 right now and they all perform the same with the same scripts from that post.

If you have any doubts, just spin up a few cheap VPS servers and try it for a week.

Now, do I think it may be time to “add” some things to the process? Maybe.

If you want to elaborate on the scripts I provided, then maybe add some automated error reporting in the event one fails. I have never taken the time to do that part because I am actively monitoring all of my servers several times per day. But, maybe you want something that you can setup once and have it report to you that it is working or failing. That is up to you.

The current scripts (even if copied right from the forum post) will work if you simply change the user reference to your selected username.

If you read my tutorials, you will find that I do my best to make them easy to understand and base them on solid processes.

If you do happen to venture down the road of improving on them, please do visit the forum post where they are the main topic and post your updates so that everyone else here can benefit from your work as well. The community really appreciates when you continue to add to their knowledge.

~BKM :sunglasses:

1 Like

Thank sos much bkm. I fully recognize your work and appreciate the effort you put into this. I will use it and share feedback and I make any addition I will also share here.