How to ensure that certain fields are not copied?

Hi,

We have a situation where a new Item code is invariably created by copying an item code which is similar to the new item code. Now this copying feature is awesome but the only problem which it creates is that some of the field of the existing item which should not be copied are copied.

For example we have item A in system and we need to create an item B which is almost similar to A so we copy item A to make item B in the meantime making changes to the requisite fields. Now some of the fields like show in website could be there for A but some how this gets copied to item B as well and the person making this item B does not bother to make this item hidden from the website.

Is there a way we could limit the fields being copied so that these kinds of errors or omissions from the user front are limited. Also the default value field does not seem to be working, I thought if I would set the value of the default as what I need then it would set this default value in the new item but it does not happen in case of items being copied.

Any solution would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "ERPNext User's Forum" group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to erpnext-user-forum+un...@googlegroups.com.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

Go to Customize Form and check No Copy for the desired fields.

Thanks,
Anand.

On 18-Apr-2013, at 4:23 PM, Addy <ad...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi,

We have a situation where a new Item code is invariably created by copying an item code which is similar to the new item code. Now this copying feature is awesome but the only problem which it creates is that some of the field of the existing item which should not be copied are copied.

For example we have item A in system and we need to create an item B which is almost similar to A so we copy item A to make item B in the meantime making changes to the requisite fields. Now some of the fields like show in website could be there for A but some how this gets copied to item B as well and the person making this item B does not bother to make this item hidden from the website.

Is there a way we could limit the fields being copied so that these kinds of errors or omissions from the user front are limited. Also the default value field does not seem to be working, I thought if I would set the value of the default as what I need then it would set this default value in the new item but it does not happen in case of items being copied.

Thanks.

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “ERPNext User’s Forum” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to erpnext-user-forum+un…@googlegroups.com.

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "ERPNext User's Forum" group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to erpnext-user-forum+un...@googlegroups.com.

Hi Anand,

Exactly this should be the approach but sorry to say that No Copy is only available in Custom Fields and not in Customise form view, let me know if I am missing something.

On Thursday, April 18, 2013 4:25:38 PM UTC+5:30, Anand Doshi wrote:

Thanks,
Anand.

On 18-Apr-2013, at 4:23 PM, Addy <ad…@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi,

Thanks.

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “ERPNext User’s Forum” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to erpnext-user-forum+un…@googlegroups.com.

I can recall Rushabh saying that “No Copy” is a very dangerous property may he knows something but other than that is there any option.

On Thursday, April 18, 2013 5:29:14 PM UTC+5:30, Addy wrote:

Hi Anand,

Exactly this should be the approach but sorry to say that No Copy is only available in Custom Fields and not in Customise form view, let me know if I am missing something.

On Thursday, April 18, 2013 4:25:38 PM UTC+5:30, Anand Doshi wrote:

Thanks,
Anand.

On 18-Apr-2013, at 4:23 PM, Addy <ad…@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi,

Thanks.