[How To] DNS Multi-tenant with Lets Encrypt

EDIT - June 17,2021 This post is quite old now and only still works on older version 10 and 11 ERPNext systems that still run the python 2.7 packages. All other commands remain the same but the let’s encrypt has changes with v13. So, for the newer version of the Let’s Encrypt command, please use the instructions from this post:

Continuing the discussion from Can't find site name on Easy Install:

The correct process is NOT to rename site1.local but to use the following process:

• bench config dns_multitenant on
  • bench setup add-domain --site site1.local [new-domain-name]
  • sudo --H bench lets-encrypt site1.local --custom-domain [new-domain-name]
  • sudo service nginx reload

The above process first turns on dns multitenant. This is required even if you will only have one site hosted.

The “add-domain” command assigns your new domain name to site1.local site without trying to modify the actual site name in the rest of the system. site1.local appears in many locations and you may not be able to edit that in some locations. That is why the add-domain command is used. It takes care of associating the new domain name with site1.local throughout the system.

The format of the command for setting up a lets-encrypt certificate also calls out both the site1.local name and the new assigned domain name thereby also establishing the association everywhere that the ssl cert is needed.

Hope this helps.

BKM

4 Likes

thank you

Hi, Is this still valid?
I’m getting error unrecognized option --H

1 Like

this worked for me

1 Like

No. These commands are no longer valid unless you are still using v10 or v11 ERPNext with the older python 2.7 files.

If you are using v12 or v13 there is a much better way to get the SSL certificate from let’s encrypt. See this:

The method described in the above post is probably the most fool-proof I have ever used. When you run the command it actually displays a list of the sites and asks you which one you want the certificate to be made on. I cannot imagine doing it any other way now.

If you are looking for a complete install and SSL certificate set of instructions, then try this one. It uses the same certificate instructions in the above post but includes the ERPNext install as well:

BKM

2 Likes

Thanks Mate,

BTW love all your guides, makes life so much easier. Erpnext should adopt your guides in their docs, rather than the existing docs as most don’t get updated or work flawlessly like yours.