How-To: Develop easy install on fresh Ubuntu 18.04 server (finally without any warning on my machine)

Hi!

Since I struggeled for some time to install my dev system, I thought I should recompile the information.
I personally run my system on a Proxmox virtual server. The following steps led me to a working installation with a fully functional ERPNext wizard. It seems that the standard Ubuntu 18.04 server has some settings that do not allow running Frappe/ERPNext in developer mode cleanly.

1. Install Ubuntu 18.04 live server
  2. during install create your frappe-user (do not call it “frappe”) and log in as that user
  3. sudo apt-get update
  4. sudo apt-get upgrade
  5. sudo python3 install.py --develop --user your-frappe-user --mysql-root-password your-mysql-password --mariadb-version 10.3 --admin-password your-admin-password

— now the important steps, as done below the settings may be non-permanent, if you want them permanent, you’ll have to look that up
6. sudo su
— these steps are indicated in the WARNINGS generated when issuing “bench start”
7. sysctl vm.overcommit_memory=1
8. echo never > /sys/kernel/mm/transparent_hugepage/enabled

— these where harder to find. Thanks to @clarkej:
— see for details: Home · guard/listen Wiki · GitHub
10. sysctl fs.inotify.max_user_watches=524288
11. sysctl -p
12. exit

— If you experience INFO:werkzeug: * Detected change in …
— with restarts of the debugger
13. export PYTHONDONTWRITEBYTECODE=1

1. cd frappe-bench
  2. bench start

After that access your server in port 8000, start the wizard and enjoy.

Cheers!
DoCa

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.