How to access a development site without setting up production

Hi

How can I access a site in development mode without setting up production? Here’s the scenario:

• I already have a production bench running
  • I setup a new bench and a new site (for development)
  • I installed ERPNext in the new site

Trying to access the site gives the following error: “Sorry! We will be back soon. Don’t panic. It’s not you, it’s us. Most likely, our engineers are updating the code, and it should take a minute for the new code to load into memory. Try refreshing after a minute or two”

Any ideas please?

Thanks

Use ports other than the ones you use in production. That way you can access it via a separate port on your browser like http://mysite:5000

Hi @rmehta

Thanks for the response. Is there a bench command for that or where can it be set?

Hi @rmehta

Trust you’re doing well. I changed the port for the development site to port 82 using the bench set-nginx-port command. I’m however getting a ‘This site can’t be reached. xxxxxxx.com took too long to respond’ when I try using the port. Without adding the port to the url, I still get the “Sorry! We will be back soon. Don’t panic. It’s not you, it’s us. Most likely, our engineers are updating the code, and it should take a minute for the new code to load into memory. Try refreshing after a minute or two”

Any ideas please?

Kind regards,

If you setup a multitenant sites for your Production and Development then run:

bench use sitename

sitename is your site and usually sitename is site1.local unless you change it.

Thanks @rmehta @sione

I was able to access the development site by restarting the machine and doing a bench start. The question now is how do I navigate to other directories after doing a bench start? It seems to be in some kind of screen mode

Kind regards,

Just open a new terminal window to connect to the server using the same user and password and you should be able to navigate to your desired location.

Hi @keshav

How do I then stop the bench if I login to a new terminal window? I thought there should be a way to switch between the bench start screen and the regular terminal. I expect it would be regular practice during development to start the bench and then go to terminal to make changes and when you’re done with changes, switch back to bench screen and close (with ctrl+c)

Thanks

You would need to use ctrl+c on the terminal window which is running the bench to stop it.

Okay, got it. Thanks a lot