How does the system handle the stock with Stock Reconciliation?

Today I had a scenario in my mind which has put a lot of questions regarding the way ERPNEXT calculates and keep track of my stock.

The scenario is like this:
  • Suppose on 1st Jan, I have item A in stock of 500 pcs.
  • On 2nd jan I get an order for item A say like 100 pcs
  • Now since we are tracking our material as ready for delivery by making delivery notes, that is, when a delivery note is made then we know that this materials is ready for dispatch and with actual dispatch we raise an invoice. So according to my use of ERPNEXT there would be a DN made on 2nd of Jan of 100 pcs.
  • Now suppose if we don’t ship the items till 8th Jan due to any reason. So that means that the material is lying out of our stock waiting for being dispatched.
  • In the meantime on 3rd of Jan there was a stock taking and it was found that instead of 400 pcs(500-100 on 2nd Jan) of item A in stock the actual stock is of 550 pcs so a Stock Reconciliation is done and the stock on 3rd Jan is 550pcs instead of the earlier 400 pcs
  • Now on 8th of Jan it is found that for some reasons the DN of item A on 2nd Jan is to be cancelled. So in this case if we cancel the DN the system should show 650pcs or would the system still show 550pcs since the reconciliation was done for 550 pcs
Also I would like to know if there is a way to get to know the answers to these questions myself instead of filling the forums for no good reason.

Hi Aditya,

In that case, make delivery note but don't submit, when items are ready for dispatch. When items are actually shipped, submit the delivery note. This way you will get correct stock while reconciliation.

Regards,
Nabin Hait

On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 1:00 AM, Addy <ad…@gmail.com> wrote:

Today I had a scenario in my mind which has put a lot of questions regarding the way ERPNEXT calculates and keep track of my stock.
The scenario is like this:
  • Suppose on 1st Jan, I have item A in stock of 500 pcs.
  • On 2nd jan I get an order for item A say like 100 pcs
  • Now since we are tracking our material as ready for delivery by making delivery notes, that is, when a delivery note is made then we know that this materials is ready for dispatch and with actual dispatch we raise an invoice. So according to my use of ERPNEXT there would be a DN made on 2nd of Jan of 100 pcs.
  • Now suppose if we don't ship the items till 8th Jan due to any reason. So that means that the material is lying out of our stock waiting for being dispatched.
  • In the meantime on 3rd of Jan there was a stock taking and it was found that instead of 400 pcs(500-100 on 2nd Jan) of item A in stock the actual stock is of 550 pcs so a Stock Reconciliation is done and the stock on 3rd Jan is 550pcs instead of the earlier 400 pcs
  • Now on 8th of Jan it is found that for some reasons the DN of item A on 2nd Jan is to be cancelled. So in this case if we cancel the DN the system should show 650pcs or would the system still show 550pcs since the reconciliation was done for 550 pcs
Also I would like to know if there is a way to get to know the answers to these questions myself instead of filling the forums for no good reason.