How do I make a student a system user

I have enrolled a student, how do I make her a system user? I cannot seem to see a link between student and system user.

Regards

Any ideas anyone?

You can add this role to the user you need from user doctype

When a student is admitted using the admission process, their is no way I know of to assign user rights to this student. That is my request.

Any idea on how to do this?

‘their is no way I know of to assign user rights to this student’

To set or re-establish your permissions, two options to explore are

1. login as Administrator who has ‘root’ privileges to set permissions.

2. ‘bench reset-perms’ (assuming you have console access)

reset-perms discards permissions you have set and restores them to a default. So you may want to keep a backup ‘snapshot’ of your ERPNext state if your environment allows you that means.

From the responses am getting it seems no one has tried to do what I want to do.

When a student is admitted I want the student to have access to certain details by logging into the ERPNext instance, but I do not see anywhere to connect an admitted student with a user profile.

@rmehta would you mind chimming in? is this doable or it as to be a feature request?

Regards

‘I do not see anywhere to connect an admitted student with a user profile’

ERPNext uses Roles not user profiles.

‘I have enrolled a student, how do I make her a system user? I cannot seem to see a link between student and system user.’

You assign Roles to a User like this

I appreciate your contribution @clarkej, but you still appear not to be getting my point.

I understand how to assign roles, that is not the issue here.

If a student is admitted, that student profile etc is created on erpnext.

I need a way on that profile to be able to create a log in user for that student that I can then attach a role to.

it is possible to create a user and give that user student role, but that user will not be attached automatically to the student.

Think of the way users are attached to a customer.

I am asking if I am missing something on how to do the same for students.

Regrds

Yes where you are at and wish to go is not clear to me olamide_shodunke -

So then you know about Role and User based permissions, but these do not help in your particular scenario!?

https://erpnext.org/docs/user/manual/en/setting-up/users-and-permissions/role-based-permissions

I do not fully get how these work but understand a Rule can be attached to a Role that lets a User access a DocType instance even at the field level.

(That way say an Employee can be permitted access to specific Company, Customer instances for eg.)

Maybe explain a bit why or how these do not work would illustrate your use case and what you seek, and help with all around learning too

thanks

Student is not designed to be a system user. This will be part of the LMS which will come later. (No ETA) - anyone willing to take this up, is welcome :slight_smile:

Thank you @rmehta

Dear all, by default I know you want to make the student a system user for the purpose of accessing the Desk Icons. I tried to something where by We had a had A school that had a hospital to treat the very Student, So I wanted the Very Students to appear as customers, What i did was to simply customized and add a link of students to patients form, that when they reach the hospital, they can be found too without doing a double registration. and since the school had a shop to sell its products to the very students they were also customers automatically making this very vital for such organizations to avoid repetitions. Personally i know a customer can be a system user easily and that is why i linked the students in the customer section. It worked. For the student to access the Desk you must enable it in Role Permissions too.

A Student Portal will be the elegant way for students to access their details rather than access to Desk.

Can we do that now ?

Anyone Having an update here ?

@rmehta anything coming up soon where students can login and see the course they are enrolled and their grades ?

I think you might have figured out how it should work.

But I could give desk access to Users with Student Role.

To link the user with student there are three options:

1. Either you can link Student Doc type in User Doc Type.
  2. Link User in Doc in Student Doc.
  3. Match Email of User with Student Email Address (which is what I did).

There were some things related to view student profile, Fees List for which I didnt give access in Desk but put the information via Web Portal where the stuff is only on read only mode.

Hope this helps. Let me know if there is something else as well. I will try to share some things I tried matches with the issues.

@rmehta any draft requirements or ongoing PR’s for student and Education section where we can also contribute for similar features.

Regards.

Parth

1 Like

Hi - Is this achievable now ?

It is not recommended in the sense that if it is a system user,
by default a student will be able to see every other students and their related DocType (attendance, assessment results, guardian details, etc.)

At the moment, students access their data through the portal. And yes, the portal is not really comprehensive for students at the moment. Like seeing their tests results, attendance, etc.

Do we have an update on this issue?

The Education Module is key in setting up a School system. However the system cannot be complete if its clients (who happen to students) are not able to access it.

I believe we have people who can help on this so that it can be like Fedena etc.

steps please