Help: videos not working

in the onsite help, many videos are not working.
i checked and found that they were set as private in youtube: that means you need to login with your yutube account. Many people don’t have it, and don’t need it.

can you set them as public please?

also having the help items coming in modal window is not a good idea: that means we cannot work on erpnext, because the working area is blocked by the help window. It is better to let help open in its own window, so we can put both windos next each other, so we can work, while looking at the tutorial.

@umair Please check and update.

Hello,

Please avoid private videos as they are outdated ones. We have replaced them with new videos as per the recent upgrades.

@umair can we delist them completely? (not just make private)

Done.

thanks dudes!

having the help items coming in modal window is not a good idea: that means we cannot work on erpnext, because the working area is blocked by the help window. It is better to let help open in its own window, so we can put both windows next each other, so we can work, while looking at the tutorial.

this fenomenon is also true on other places where erpnext opens a new window, like help window, desk → website, discussion etc.

so i suggest to always open in a new window

1 Like

For me the current functionality is as expected. If you want to open it in a new tab, just use the middle button of a mouse or touch pad if your’s has a middle button; if not just right click and select open in new tab or window.

If you own a mac I don’t know how to open in new tab but there should be a shortcut somehow.

For mobile devices such as tablets or phones you can long press on the link/button and it will show the menu in which you can select open in new tab.

Also, for the video, you can start it and then click the youtube logo on the lower row. That will open the video in a new tab.

@fmorato: did you try it yourself?

Because for me it does not work, a right click gives this:

no option for a new tab!

I’m sorry if my suggestion wasn’t very clear.

Maybe it helps with the screencasts below.

For links (website, documentation):

For videos:

Thank you very much @fmorato, for the nice animations! (with which program you made those?)
The “view website” rightclick is a nice tip!
For youtube you have the workaround you showed, but not for the text documentation.
Rightclicking does not work in the modal windows, for example when you want to read the documentation alongside the erpnext window.

You’re welcome, @pee

I made the gifs using ffcast through this clever script

Rightclicking does not work in the modal windows, for example when you want to read the documentation alongside the erpnext window.

For those cases I open in a new window and resize them to fit the screen as in the screenshot below (you can right click ERPNext logo > open in a new window):

Furthermore, the system already comes with the docs and they are loaded offline, so subsequent views will open very fast. And docs are usually accessible through some external website, so this is very good.

thanks for your answers fmorato.

In my view these are all but workarounds. Good for helping us out now, but in the future it is better to change it to a non modal window. This is in fact true for other modal windows like email etc.
If the modal window is changed in a non-modal window, you keep all current benefits, while gaining the possibility to move the window if you want that.

If your wife/husband/mother/friend makes you spinach paneer and you want to eat pasta, you’ve got to cook pasta yourself, I’d guess. And be a bit more polite about not eating the paneer.

I am doing here a suggestion to the excellent erpnext team how to make the system even more user friendly. It is up to the erpnext team to see if this is a valuable suggestion or not.

You Mr. fmorato may have a different opinion than I do, and I respect that :slight_smile:, I hope you can have some respect for my viewpoint too.

Restart your device. Turn off and on your mobile data connection. Clear the YouTube app’s cache. Uninstall and reinstall the YouTube app. You can also download Youtube videos by using a downloader source like all video downloader can download video in good quality and format.