- This post is for Domain Experts and Business Users.
- The business process and brainstorming before creating the Pull Request (PR) is not covered in this. It generally happens on forum, github issues and tickets.
Business users sleeplessly review the systems. It happens so because of the pain area they have in their system. Developers don’t really know that pain. Developers have different pain areas that keeps them awake.
One thing is certain, both parties need to have fluent conversation using tools each one of them prefer.
How can this be achieved?
- Developers send Github Pull Requests (PR) and focus their effort on it. PR thread begins as soon as the PR is created. Other developers and technical users start conversations there.
- This is where the domain expert and business users should also participate by commenting, providing screenshots, error logs, design review.
- It must be easy for domain expert to review PR without any technical requirement to setup servers.
- For business users convenience we’ll not call it Pull Request, we’ll call it “Improvement”, as in proposed improvement.
Business user feedback on each update to Improvement will result in quality code being merged into system. It will also help set expectations for both parties for the related improvement.
Over few weekends of work, we came up with a frappe+kubernetes app that can help generate sites from PRs.
Vision for the feature board app
Things will change as per user and developer conversations and feedback.
“Moderation Request” and types
- Request to Initiate site for “Improvement”
- Request to Upgrade site for “Improvement”
- Request to Delete site for “Improvement”
- Request to Add system manger user for “Improvement” site
Improvement Web view (also allowed for Guest users)
- show search enabled paginated “Improvement” list
- on “Improvement” Form show PR url, deployment status, and site url.
- add Web form or popup to initiate a “Moderation Request” referencing Improvement
- keep track of “Moderation Request”(s) by user on the form view
- Required for automation when github PR is updated and developer fixes code after user review
- Webhooks will add “Moderation Request” of type upgrade. (on commits, force-push)
- Webhooks will be triggered on open PR and PR with active sites only.
- Respond to “Moderation Request”, “act” on it or “deny/close”
- Add system manager user in the sites generated for PR
- Trigger builds for PR
- Trigger updated after PR is updated
- Trigger tear down, if site generation results in Error, or PR is merged.
- check error logs and report
Add moderator by validation only.
- Mods can add new mods.
- Filter Mods by Domain
- Access Improvements by domain, so we get picture of set of Improvements under set of mods.
- Mods can add new mods.
Name “Moderation Request” to something more meaningful.
Current system [PoC/Alpha] is hosted at https://board.castlecraft.co.in/improvement
2 sites are generated for PRs:
We can start with fresh community oriented domain name once things are working at satisfactory level.