Healthy Open Source Projects

Community,

This is a good post on open source projects. I guess right now we are “unhealthy” because there are many users asking too many things and not enough contributors and committers. The good part is that the number of contributors is slowly increasing. With the foundation pitching in and the community volunteering for answering queries and issues hopefully things will become better.

But we still need to drive more contributors to the project, to make it a “healthy” one!

10 Likes

Reference for a theme-based, open structure

I looked at the ByLaws of a few of the Open Source projects. The GNOME project confers voting rights based on contributions. I think that’s a good model to emulate for us at some stage.

Thanks

Jay

5 Likes

I have been working on and off with open source projects for close to 20 years now. I have seen some great ones and some doosies. I really like this article from Node.js on how they do things. I like the transparent/open model that they employ. I also like the concepts around reducing fences and other bureaucracy that can impede improvements.

I am really glad to see the foundation working through these things for long term improvements.

I have a comment about “contributors”. Not all of us know how to code (me included). While I cannot improve the actual code base, I have already spent a good amount of time labeling issues and helping on the forum. These are also contributions and I hope they count for something. While I am a small business owner now, my background is corporate IT operations and security. So I do have experience in hosting and managing complex platforms. I hope that my contributions in this area are also viewed positively.

So in that vein, I am a contributor, just not a code one. I do like the Node.js idea of lots of smaller repositories. I have suggested in another forum conversation that pulling the documentation out to its own repo might be a good idea. I feel comfortable updating markdown files and screen shots. Just not python code.

I also really like how the foundation is moving to a voting system of some kind. Look forward to seeing how that plays out as well.

3 Likes

@jayram

I think at the moment, the project have many contributors (due to the number of issues raised) but short of committers, reviewers and validators.

How do we incentivize them? A form of official recognition and influence would be good to start with.

Hope the Foundation can set the foundation of ERPNext strong with feedbacks from its members and resources available.

2 Likes