Handling of material for 3D printing during production-run

Hi

May I ask for some opinions on this matter…

The material used for 3D printing is the printing filament which is purchased in rolls. The rolls I
have are 1kg.

The slicer does give me an accurate estimate of material and time for the print .i.e.
3.04 g that will take 34 minutes to print. So I can load this into my BOM for that part.

This does however , require that I re-think the way I book the stock into the warehouse when
I purchase the printing filament. One way would be to say … the smallest unit of filament that
I use , is 1g ( of which there is a 1000 in a kg-roll). So when I purchase the 1kg roll I don’t
book one roll into the stores-warehouse, but 1000units (1g/unit) into the warehouse. So
when I do material transfer for a production run, I do a material transfer for 3 units ( lets say
the part is 3g) to WIP.

I am also studying the “Backflushing” in ERPNExt … but it seems that I also require 1g-granularity for backflushing as well.

Any opinions, perhaps, please?

The best thing to do is use unit of measure table in the item master. Any material you’re using in BOM, try to give the lowest denomination in the default UOM. After that add the unit of measure accordingly in the UOM table. E.g. starting with the lowest one to the highest

@johnlongland

Your toughts about store the filament in grams is okay
You also should include the UOM Conversion 1K → 1000grams

There’s few options abou the BOM, but the simplest is

Material consumption.

So, with Material Consumption Enabled, you can weight your piece and compute how much material it took!

One nice feature to explore is the alternative materials in production

So you can have a simple BOM as

3d Printing

• Material
    • Filament 1g
  • Operations
    • Slicing
    • Printing
    • Finishing

So, it will be your general BOM for all 3d prints, but while consuming material you can say

10grams PETG, 8grams PLA, 11grams ABS etc.

All of this, can simplify the whole set of problems regarding Material Consumption, in production for 3d printing industry

Thank you @max_morais_dmm and @shakeel_viam1 for your comments.

Based on your comments, I went back an explored the UOM options. It seems that I can do
the UOM conversion either when I buy ( on the purchase order) or at Manufacturing ??

I messed up by NOT using the UOM conversion available and by doing it “by hand” i.e.
changing the UOM specified on the purchase invoice to match the UOM of the item in the
store. My bad.

I also understand what you said @max_morais_dmm about using the “Material Consumption” button on the work order (with the correct fields anabled under manufacturing settings ofcourse) so that I can setup only one BOM for 3D printing. I shall investigate this further.

Many thanks for your time and comments.

Hi all just an update…

Based on what I have learnt, I now have made the following settings…

I have created a new UOM called Kilogram. Gram was in the default list but not Kilogram (??)

Here are some screen-shots…

Then I defined the conversion factor in the UOM conversion factor list

Then I revised my Item-entry for my Printing Filament…

And then I raised a Purchase Invoice

And 1000 gram units were added to my stores-warehouse.

Next would be to re-look at my BOM , as suggested by @max_morais_dmm.

NOTE:
For those looking at the numbers … depending on how to screen-shots are appearing, 1.0 may
appear to be 1 000 and with the conversion factor to be 1000, this may be confusing.
If needed … I can re-do the screen-shots

Kindly contact me on WhatsApp +96555089565