Guide: Manual Install ERPNext on Ubuntu 16.xx & Debian v8 & 9

I have 2 issues with the process I’d like to addresse

1. what’s the idea behind using /opt/bench instead og /home/[frappe-user] as well as using naming the ‘frappe’ of the folder commonly named ‘frappe-bench’? From my perspective you gain a lot of using common standards because they help a lot when solving problem (because u use the same names/terms everybody is familiar with)

2. I’d suggest to throw in a --frappe-branch [master/develop] in the bench init command.
    If no branch is provided you get the develop which not everybody wants. Adding the --frappe-branch option (even if it may be develop) gives clarity of what you are getting on the other side

3. same applies to the install app erpenxt command which should get an additional --branch [master/develop] option for the same reasons mentioned above

1 Like

Thank for the feedback.
You are correct. I only used that on my side because i want it to be different and yes, I add the master or develop depends on what I want to install.

Hello sir,
Am new to frappe and ERPNext. Am trying to do an ‘easy install’ on Debian 9.4 sitting on a Oracle VM Box within Windows 10.
The script halts with issues at [bench : python3 bench init for develop] step.

Is manual installation recommended or do I try a different OS?

Thanks in advance!

Try Ubuntu 16

Debian 9.x is very solid.
Manual install is best if the easy script failed.

1 Like

This all depends on what version of ERPNext you are tying to install. If you want v12 you need to be aware that it is barely beta and is under constant change. This can include the install scripts.

If you want v11 then you should have much less trouble getting it up and running, but it is also still going through many bug fixes. This means that you will want to update it frequently. If you have trouble installing it then reporting it here is good, but you must include the version you are attempting to install and whether you are trying to install it as a developer version or a production version.

Also, since you are trying to do this on a VM running in Windows, you will have to make sure you have enough resources applied to the VM for it to work. You will NOT get by with only 1gb of memory and 10gb of disk space. ERPNExt also needs to have swap space to operate.

BKM

2 Likes

Are you going to python3 :wink: I did the same. Manual Install is the best way. Coz we will see whats happened and what’s went wrong. I have been migration from python 2 to 3. V12 have been running smooth so far and looks so sexy.

Do manual install debian 9 is good choice

1 Like

How can I install specific version suppose v11.1.44?

@MOTI

To install a specific version you need to do the complete install manually from the point of

bench init frappe-bench

but instead of using the above you would use

bench init frappe-bench --frappe-branch THE-BRANCH-YOU-WANT

You need to get the specific branch you want from git if I am not mistaken something like this

https://github.com/frappe/frappe/releases/tag/v11.1.44

Important: You need to match the same Frappe version to the same ERPNext version of the release date.

However, its not an easy path to take, I tried it and it was a bumpy ride, in that I had to match all the required supporting python modules.

You might be better off going with the latest release version and importing your db to it. Have tried it many times with older version 10 onwards and did not have any issues.

Whichever way you decide to take, test it on local VM, safer to do it that way.

Hope this helps.

what u mean by flag ? how to do it ?

Flagged as in marked, --no-use-wheel is a setting not to use Wheel MySql module.

--no-use-wheel is the option, that’s how to do it.