GST - INDIA - Rule 46 of ‘Central Goods and Services Tax (CGST) Rules 2017’: Tax Invoice

Hi All,

I got a panic message from a customer saying this is what they received via whatsapp.

As per Rule 46(b) of the CGST Rules, 2017
A new bill book is to be maintained for every new Financial Year.
Today i.e. 01/04/2018 is the beginning of new Financial Year 2018-2019. Hence, the organization has to comply with the above mentioned rule.

Please note -
* This bill book has to be unique (using mixture of alphabets, numbers, hyphen, etc.) and consecutively numbered.
* The maximum digits allowed are 16 (including Special Characters).
Example of unique series -
01/2018
MP/01/2018
SSJCo/MP/01/2018

I would like to call BS on it. The actual section says, the tax invoice number has to be unique in the year. All numbers are unique from 1 to infinity. So i assume [even a fact], that number if not repeated is unique from now till the universe ends. There is no need for 2018 or 2019…to appear in any series.

Am I right in saying that ERPNEXT Default series meets the criteria listed out in the below?

This is correct. And ErpNext does meet the criteria. We just have a different naming series for different sales channels and branches so that we can maintain sequential numbering.

1 Like