Glossary of Field Names and Operators Available in Salary Structures

Apologies if this is known to everyone, but as a newby I cannot locate a complete list of field names or logical and mathematical operators that I can use to create salary structures.

My field name needs include gross pay (the sum of all earnings), pay period (month), year to date gross pay…

1 Like

Hello,

Gross Pay - Sum of all Earnings.

Pay Period - If you are paying an employee on a monthly bases, then in the Salary Slip, select Fiscal Year, and a Month.

Year to date gross pay - Do you mean total Gross Pay of an Employee in a near? Can you please explain with an example?

I think I must be missing something very basic…I do not get “in the Salary Slip, select Fiscal Year, and a Month.”?

I would to create a condition in the salary structure for the month of December…the examples tell me about “base” and “employment_type” but I cannot find the names of other fields.

So I would like to write a condition like month=12 but this fails the syntax check

On year to date values I would like to be be able to adjust tax take against a rolling total gross pay instead of simply the data for this pay period and so I guess I will also need to access income tax to date or more generally the sum of deduction or earning type.

I hope this is a bit clearer?

I have tracked down the field names from salary slip (by looking at custimizations in setup) and have been able to include a month number condition, but I am still unable to locate any field that contains year to date information.

Inline replies below.

I think I must be missing something very basic…I do not get “in the Salary Slip, select Fiscal Year, and a Month.”?

That’s probably because, in the Salary Slip, you have check “Create Salary Slip based on Timesheet”. This means that you pay Employee based on hours work, hence payment month field is not shown. If you have fixed salary for an Employee, the ensure that said field is not checked.

I would to create a condition in the salary structure for the month of December…the examples tell me about “base” and “employment_type” but I cannot find the names of other fields.

You cannot set Employee Type as a condition. Perhaps you should create separate Salary Structure based on Employee Type. In one Salary Structure, add Employees from same Employment Type.

So I would like to write a condition like month=12 but this fails the syntax check

On year to date values I would like to be be able to adjust tax take against a rolling total gross pay instead of simply the data for this pay period and so I guess I will also need to access income tax to date or more generally the sum of deduction or earning type.

No such standard field. Will suggest you to use Fiscal Year field. Or probably add a Custom Field.

I assume you mean add a custom field to the salary slip to hold year to date data. I have read a little on this but I guess I need to query the db and do a little maths to populate the custom field - logically if not syntactically sum(select from salary_slip gross_pay where employee=this one and fiscal year = this fiscal year) is this possible?

@mafrica - were you able to figure out how to get a year to date salary value? I need this for my setup as well and am stymied. What did you do to figure out how to get the other values?

@umair - you mention about year to date gross pay in a previous post as well. In the US there are a number of taxing rules that are applied based on the total gross pay (all earnings summed year to date or from the employee’s start date in the current fiscal year). For example we have to pay an unemployment tax for the first $7,000 in salary and then nothing after that. So a condition in this case would be gross_ytd_salary <= 7000 for the salary component.

James,

I am sorry but I have suspended my work on salary structure pending being able to access additional fields created in salary_structure_employee from the alary structure deductions and earning calculations. When I updated a couple of weeks back I was still not able to do this.

It would be really good to have access to a more complete glossary. Good luck.

1 Like

I have done some research/testing/experimenting in my dev instance to see about figuring out some things.

So I have not been able to figure out all the varying operators/operations you can do in a salary structure component formula, I did figure out that you can use any field name from the document type itself. If you need more fields from the employee, you can add read-only versions of those into the salary slip form via link records and then use those field names in your formulas.

So for example, in US there is a thing known as “tax allowances” and “tax additional” that you can do your federal government taxes. These are employee specific, so I created them in my employee document type

I then linked these fields to the salary slip document type with read-only fields

Then I use these fields in the formula for the federal tax salary component on a salary structure record

So what I am personally missing is 3 things:

1. The ability to know what the current Fiscal YTD gross earnings is for a specific employee. Some of the taxes we pay are based on salary maxes, so I would like to be able to use this in the condition field. E.g. if ytd_gross_pay <= 7000 then apply formula.

2. The ability to be able to have some kind of IF() or SELECT() type function. The above mentioned federal tax has some ranges that are standard based on gross period wages. The first “magic number” of $35.90 and .15 are based on one of the ranges in a tax table. I would like to have a CASE() or SELECT() type formula/function that I can then use to set some variables and use them in the formula. Or maybe use that in condition section to set the variables for use in the formula

3. The ability to list employer paid taxes and expenses that are not deducted from the employee’s payslip (and are not even shown on the printed version unless we want to)

Hope this helps!

1 Like

Hello @James_Robertson
Some of this you can now do, but the YTD function is still a big missing. For example, you can create Statistical that does that show on payslip and used them as variable in your formula without creating or using custom field.

Thanks @Jermaine_Gray. I’ll take a look at the statistical feature now that my dev and prod are up to latest and greatest (as of this morning).