ERPNext Foundation ERPNext Cloud User Manual Blog Discuss Frappé* Donate

[Feature Request] Allow different Levels in BOM Explosion

feature
bom

Requirement:
Possibility to use different, defined levels in BOM explosion.

Simplified example BOM:

Scenario:
In this example the BOM of the product contains the sub-assemblies Item 1 and Item 2.
To manufacture the product Item 1 (1st level) shall be consumed. Item 2 shall be transparent so that Item 2.1, Item 2.2 and Item 2.3 (2nd level) are consumed directly.

Problem:
Currently the system only allows to use the first level or the last level (called multi-level). But the last level is not always what you need e.g. if you have multiple stages of subcontracting. The production planning should allow a higher granuality in defining the level resolution of boms.

Right now the production planning only offers two ways of resolution:

1. Use 1st level: Item 1 and Item 2
  2. Use multi-level: Item 1.1.1, Item 1.1.2, Item 1.2, Item 1.3, Item 2.1, Item 2.2, Item 2.3

Possible Solution:
Define a check-box in the BOM that indicates whether the BOM can be exploded or not. If the BOM does not allow further explosion the item should be treated as a leaf. The resolution should stop in that case.

In the scenario mentioned above, Item 1 would not allow further explosion.
The explosion stops at Item 1 while Item 2 is still transparent.

Post this Feature request in Github

Thanks for your reply. It is my first feature request so I’m not absolutely sure how to proceed.
Do you think I should directly request it on github or should it be discussed here by the community at first?

Do you have a similar requirement?

The feature request is now on github: