Exclude SO item from Create -> Work Order dialog on the SO

How do I mix and match manufacturing items and service items on a SO, and then create a WO off of the manufacturing items only?

I have two items on my SO. One requires manufacturing - it has a BOM, and I am trying to set up a WO from the SO. The other item doesn’t require manufacturing - it’s a service.

From the SO, when I select Create → Work Order, I see one of the items shows a BOM, and the other does not. When I select Create after that, it tells me “Please Select BOM against item [service item]”. Since it is a service item, there is no BOM.

I’m not sure why both items show up, but assuming I could select the items for the BOM that would be OK. However, I don’t see a way to do that.

How can I create a WO from the SO? I looked all over the Item documentation, but I don’t see any references to an option that would exclude an item from the Create Work Order option on the SO.

Am I missing something?

If the service was created as an Item, was Include Item in Manufacturing checked? See if that makes a difference.

No difference.

Just to be sure I created a brand-new item called “non-manufacturin item”, and deselected “Include Item In Manufacturing”. I then created a brand-new SO, and added it and another item to the SO.

After adding the BOM to the other item, I tried creating a WO from the SO without selecting a BOM for the “non-manufacturing item”, and got the same “Please select BOM against item non-manufacturing item”

NB: I am using

ERPNext: v12.16.2 (version-12)
Frappe Framework: v12.13.0 (version-12)

See if anything here is helpful: https://docs.erpnext.com/docs/user/manual/en/selling/articles/erpnext-for-services-organization

That documentation suggests two things:

1. Deselecting “Maintain Stock” on the item.
    • This doesn’t seem to change anything related to my issue.
  2. Creating a SO of type “Maintenance”.
    • Choosing that option removes the option to create a WO from the SO.

Is it not possible to mix manufacturing and other item types? What if I wanted to sell an extended warrantee along with an item, for example - how would I do that on the SO?

A few workarounds:

A second SO for the service, add the service to the Sales Invoice later , try a product bundle

OK, sounds like the SO doesn’t really work that way.

I can create a WO from the BOM itself, so I think we’ll just work from that angle. That means we have to select the SO when creating the WO. That’s a few extra steps with room for human error, which is a little disappointing. Still I think it’s workable for us.