Estimating

Hi,

I am evaluating the software to use in our custom sign making business. I read the ERPNext Manual but don’t see any mention about cost estimating which we do prior to sending a quotation to a prospect.

In custom sign business we prepare 5 to 10 estimates everyday and if it was properly done BOM can be transfer to job order directly.

Please enlighten me whether it is possible in ERPNext.

JD

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "ERPNext User's Forum" group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to erpnext-user-forum+un...@googlegroups.com.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

There is no separate form for cost estimation in ERPNext. Most of the ERPNext users use draft BOM for their cost estimation. After finalizing the estimation and order confirmation, BOM can be submitted.

On 17-Aug-2013, at 12:31 AM, Jaliya Dharmasena wrote:

Hi,
I am evaluating the software to use in our custom sign making business. I read the ERPNext Manual but don’t see any mention about cost estimating which we do prior to sending a quotation to a prospect.
In custom sign business we prepare 5 to 10 estimates everyday and if it was properly done BOM can be transfer to job order directly.
Please enlighten me whether it is possible in ERPNext.
JD

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "ERPNext User's Forum" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to erpnext-user-forum+un...@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to erpnext-user-forum+un...@googlegroups.com.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

I know this was asked awhile ago, but it is still relevant. This also applies to many service business and construction business that provide estimates that may or may not involve a BOM. What most of the ERP are missing is the ability to connect the BOM to some form of take-offs /measurements. The difference is the measurements maybe different than the BOM to account for waste or installation variations. Also most smaller construction shops work only takes 2-4 days with quick turn around, too big to use tasks, too small to make it worth making a project out of and to adhoc to use the manufacturing module as is. What they need is a job management module that fits in-between.

@joshua you can easily make copies of BOM for quick estimates.

I know this is an old subject, but I can’t find out how to estimate the cost of making an order. In my BOM I have entered the costs for making 1 item. So how do I get an estimate of the cost to make 100, for example, without creating a new BOM? Surely there must be as simple method of scaling up/down according to volume and the BOM? It would be useful to have this information when making a quotation to make sure your not selling at less than cost.

Any comments would be appreciated.