ERPNext is GST Compatible

The core requirement for filing returns would be GSTR1 and GSTR2. Not sure if having the print format as provided above is a statutory requirement. As far as data uploaded in return is correct, then print format visibility should be subjected to convenience of the user.

The reason ERPNext doesn’t have item-wise taxation column in the print format is the case where multiple taxes are applied on the item, some 3-4 at a time. A separate column for each tax type will make item table will cranky and difficult to read.

1 Like

I know Umair, but it should be our choice whether to put it in print or not. If we want that format, but are limited because we can’t access that table, then shouldn’t you guys think about changing that field type?
I checked on government websites and that is the suggested format given by them. Although it may not be compulsory (I am not sure of that), but it will make things easier when we need to check the taxes for both the parties - us and for the customers as well. Otherwise, as its a new thing, initially everyone will want to see the breakdown of taxes in order to make sure that its applied properly. And that will complicate things if we don’t have the break-up in print it self. I am not saying that you put it in print. I just want that this field (Item-wise taxes) should be accessible for printing, in case we want it.

1 Like

I think Sales Register & Item Wise Sales Register are available with break up of taxes and will ease out filing. Maybe similar logic can be replicated in Custom Invoice Template.

Hi guys,

I just confirmed from a CA, that we need to show tax breakup in Invoices if our items fall in different tax categories. We have 3 different taxes applicable on our items.
So will request you to please make the required changes so that I can show the item-wise taxes in my sales Invoice.

Indian accounting packages such as Marg, Busy & Tally are providing both formats to choose from.
http://blogs.tallysolutions.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/SampleofaTax_10X7.5.jpg

I have made several excise invoice print formats like this.

Gov will not force for any print format design. Only necessary information should come in Print Format.

As of now, only Tax Barkup is missing in ERPNext. GSTIN can be custom field.
Quick fix: This can be solved if we change tax breakup to text editor field.
Refer this post if you want to show tax breakup

For long run, It will be helpful if we add each tax amount in Item table as read only (child table inside child table)

2 Likes

Great work on the GST Front by ERPNext Team and the forum members

Any idea as to when the update for GST will be released?

Thanks a lot !

@umair we will need it soon as not only we need to start entering the data to be compliant to the requirements of GST from 1st July but also train the users and make processes around the implementation of GST in ERPNext.

-Amit

1 Like

Please let us know when will GST updates be released? We need it as soon as possible.

We are very sorry for the delay in releasing this feature. Though features listed above are just the same, we are changing backend design, so that it is available for the Indian customers only. We will soon update you on its release plan.

I’ve been going through the tax breakup comments above and testing, and here’s what I’ve found.

1. From an Indian perspective, the tax template at the item level is not usable because an item can have one of two tax templates - if interstate, then IGST, if intrastate then SGST and CGST.
  2. From an indian perspective, the tax template at the sales invoice is (not really) usable because the items in the sales invoice can have multiple rates. One item may be 5%, and another item may be 12%.

As of now, the only way to generate compliant invoices is to do the following

1. Create Tax templates for each GST slab - one for intra state and one for interstate. So, at 5 slabs, that’s 10 templates. (I am ignoring the newly added UGST just to simplify things).
  2. If making a sales invoice, then make sure the items in the invoice are all within the same rate slab. So, lets say you want to sell 7 items, 3 of which are in the 5% slab an 4 of which are in the 12% slab, you would not be able to create one sales invoice for this. You would need to create 2 invoices - the first invoice would only contain items in the 5% slab, and the second invoice would only contain items in the 12% slab. You would use the sales invoice level tax setting to do this.

One idea of how to deal with this would be to add a “tax template” linked field to each item in the items child table in Sales invoice.

Are there other ideas?

When can we expect the feature?

Currently I am using the VAT tax template for two tax structures, i.e 13.5% and 6% at the same time ( I have named the template as “mix tax”) , in the case where items tax is defined in the item master.

For these same items, if I have sell these to other states, I use the cst tax template, which over-rules the tax structures defined in item master.

can we use the same scenario in the gst version ? Ideally, I envision the same as, If I am invoicing to a party in the same state, I will pull the state gst template, which will automatically populate SGST and CGST tax heads and complete my invoice, else If I pull the interstate gst template, it will only populate IGST tax field.

However we have difficulty here, if all the items have different gst percentage, then we have a problem.

we need a script that identifies whether if it is a IGST template, then tax calculation for that item should be pulled from relevant details from the item master.

More thoughts on this.

Can we not auto detect inter-state vs intra-state using customer data like territory?

We can, based on the State of Company and Customer. Also, we will need to explicitly define that this tax master is for inter-state and this for intra-state. This feature is not included in this phase. May be we can work on it in the further upgrades. This print is already added into Github Issue for GST (link shared above).

@umair will there be any documentation for GST features along with the release? This would be helpful and critical

Sure. Rushabh has already written one. Will be merged soon in the User Manual.

https://github.com/frappe/erpnext/pull/9435

1 Like

is it merged yet?

It will be merged on Tuesday.

4 Likes

Hi Umair,

This can be solved in a very simple way using Tax Rule.

1. Create two customer groups - Out state Customers, In state Customers - make sure to put the customers on the right category.

2. Create two tax templates - Out state GST(with only IGST) and In state GST(with SGST and CGST)

3. Create two tax rules - Out state tax rule and In state tax rule.

4. In tax rule select your customer group and tax template and during your purchase and sales invoicing it gets automatically applied depending on the customer group.

5. Similarly create the rules for different tax rates and set the priorities for the tax rule.

I think this should solve the problem for the time being.

2 Likes