ERPNext in off-line mode

@rmehta, the issue still being what do with Python code? Supports eletron and offline with the webworkers are easy, but recode all the transactions controllers from Python to JavaScript will be a pain!

No batch and post to erpnext backend. POS to have restricted functionality

I am concerned when I read that the whole database would be on a sqlite db on a computer somewhere. How secure would the data be?
The whole point of the offline POS is for when connectivity is lost (usually less than an hours) or when connectivity is too slow.
I could foresee quite a lots of issues (in terms of privacy and integrity of data) with a duplicate db on a remote machine.

@Francois_Ifitwala A duplicate Db from my point of view would not be considered as a good behavior as we need to be able to work from mult location not only one location which will be limited when duplicating the Db…

HTML5 localSorage is used by many POS systems for their offline capability, including one of the most popular POS in Australia and New Zealand - Vend. http://www.vendhq.com

HTML5 localStorage works perfectly with one business having multiple retail sites, with each having multiple POS terminals. HTML5 localStorage stays on the computer forever. localStorage stays after shutting the computer down, it is still there after upgrading the operating system and browser.

The local database automatically synchronises changes with the remote once an internet connection is resumed. It works on all devices with no software required.

HTML5 localStorage is well proven for offline POS in multi-outlet multi-register businesses.

1 Like

i have a question, if lets say i have a ready POS but its PHP based, is there an API to link the sales to ERPnext POS to just make the sales?

@david_ Totally agreed with you. In all the POS software I have checked around that have offline capabilities, most of them are using html5.

That is exactly my concern. @ramielian.
Also as mentioned by @rmehta, the POS to be effective would have reduced functionality.

@Francois_Ifitwala Am not following, there is no API for POS module ???
But as I know frappe have rest API!!

I have created a github issue for a offline capable PoS within ERPNext: Offline mode for PoS · Issue #5123 · frappe/erpnext · GitHub I will let people make suggestions and comments before sending it to Bountysource(dot)com. Please feel free to make any comment or criticism, including any suggestion to the way I write since English is not my native language. If any part could be written in a better or more clear way I will appreciate if you let me know.

After any important issue has been dealt with I will post it in Bountysource(dot)com and add the first contribution, so we can get the ball rolling in this important improvement to ERPNext.

EDIT: Given that the developers have just announced a new PoS for the next release coming soon ("Develop" will be Frappe/ERPNext 7), it makes no sense to start in parallel a new one. So I think the best option is to wait for the new release and asses what is needed then.

2 Likes

Hello guys,

Which features are available in offline mode so far? Is it the POS and Docs?

BTW, it’s great to have the offline POS.

2 Likes

Is there any news regarding offline mode in ERPNext ? This would be very useful to have an offline mode in other modules than POS.

Any update on the POS Offline mode? Thanks.