ERPNext in 2017: What's on your wish list?

I’d love to see improved and thorough documentation for frappe framework :slight_smile:

4 Likes

This cant be stressed enough. Stability is the core requirement without which everything else is pointless; when the system keeps failing the organisation.

4 Likes

just browsed through this after a while …

it looks to me as if a broad majority of comments vouches for focus on stability and enhancing existing features/code over adding new stuff

1 Like

A bit delayed, but!

Provide support to V7 for my open source contributions, and fix some long issues into

Open source the rule builder from CoreFlow
Open source SOAP Integration Toolkit
Open source Print Node Integration
Turn BPMN Editor into a Real BPMN Engine and Change the License to GPLv3

I started working in the fixes, because they turn my integration unusable for everyone, including me! :slight_smile:

To get Coreflow Rule Builder open sourced, I need patch the Code widget, to when the option is “Rule”, it should hide the original field, and construct the Rule Builder UI, I’m investing 2 hours daily to create this new app.

Negotiate with the owner of Print Node Integration to get permission to open source it.

Change the license of the SOAP Integration Toolkit to GPLv3, and find someone to help me to construct tests to this, due I’m a poor men, while testing!

Start the research process to turn BPMN Editor into a Real BPMN Engine, that’s a long term project, due tons of improvements and hacks in frappe will be required, or just rethink outside of the box.

7 Likes
  1. Of course on number one : stability !! it has no use to implement flashy new features, if the current ones are not 99% stable (100% is impossible)

2. As erpnext puts much effort in pushing the erp functions to the portal (which I applaud), we need also an easy website cms backend (as odoo already has for years) with easy theming.

3. Payment Gateways for all payment providers (VISA, Mastercard, Cell Phone providers, …etc), maybe make it generic?

4. World peace & love

1 Like

Thanks all for your comments. I think the part of the question was what you are going to do about it. This is a community folks, we all have to pitch in about the things we care about.

@max_morais_dmm look exciting! forward to your contributions :slight_smile:

@max_morais_dmm that does look sound very interesting.

I think that the system is fairly stable as it but to solve most peoples issue there could be a stable branch that is downstream for the master. So the flow would be develop → beta → master → stable. I think that this will really need to get members of the community behind it because it would be unfair to ask the the core team to do all of the work.

For the foundation or in general we should start to create a couple of groups focusing on different parts of the community/ ecosystem. Like marketing material, beta testing, helping developers merge their addons, etc.

I have also notice that some form the community to get there sites up and running use the content from the ERPNext which is alright becuase it is content licensed under CC-BY-SA 3.0 but you have to give abbritution and need to have a link at the end of the text or footer. I would have it like this " Content licensed under CC-BY-SA 3.0 ERPNext"

I would be nice to start more user groups or have more conferences in different countries. I wouldn’t mind helping organizing one in the US for anyone that is interested.

I have been looking at doing an integration into a an open source project called formio. If there is anyone interested in this let me know.

We have also made a quickbooks parser using papa parse. Right now it will create items, invoices, and customers. I can though that up on github sometime this week if there is a lot of interest if not then we would like to make the interface a little bit better.

When people develop and release an add-on for ERPNext they have to be GPLv3 if they are installed from bench get-app. The best explanation that i have gotten was if your add-on requires the GPLed software to function then it falls under the copy left license. If they are purely an API connector then that is fair game to what ever license that you want. If anyone want they can read more about it here. https://www.gnu.org/licenses/quick-guide-gplv3.en.html

It would also be nice we create a standard naming scheme for add-ons of the are not going to merged into the core system. I think that really anything that is erpnext_ would be great.

1 Like

I would like to see some small improvements in the UI. There are some fields that seem to require being clicked on to edit, most accounting programs have all fields accessible by using tab or some other keyboard method. Also saving, posting, submitting, are these functions already attached to keyboard shortcuts, maybe they are and I am just unaware. When I am posting reaching for the mouse slows me down, I prefer it to be all keyboard.

@kurt, you can use “Ctrl+S” or “Cmd+S” to Save any doctype!

3 Likes

I am new to erpnext, but I think one thing in which ALL (newbies and veterans) could contribute is:

1. by improving the documentation. By browsing the forums I learn a lot of things that are not in the documentation. And sometimes the documentation has missing links to existing content (and vice versa).
    I see that in theory we could add items to the documentation on github, but in practice this is too difficult for non-developers as they need to know Git for this. An easier wiki-like help system, open for everyone is the way too go. A good example is the tip given by @max_morais_dmm above (ctrl+s for saving doctypes). That could be added by anyone into the documentation (if it can be done easily).

2. testing the application and report bugs. Where should bug reporting done? on the forum? on github? Best practices?
    Sometimes bug reports are closed, without giving a reason. Is the bug report not appreciated? Is it not a bug? Is it not a priority? A short clarification would be welcome.

3 Likes

@rmehta: I see that there is an option in github to directly change the documentation from the gui easily:

are we allowed to use this (for documentation contributions)?

Its actually really really easy. You just need a Github account (or ouath with Google etc);then just make your change in the Gui.

I corrected a spelling mistake without really knowing what i was doing and next day the pull request that was sutomatically created by my change was accepted and merged into the Dev branch. Great work and a word away from Odoo …

Julian
UK

4 Likes

Hi Rusuabh & team,

I would like to see some developments in:

1. Asset Management & Maintenance - At present we only have fixed asset management in the Accounting Module. Would like to be able to track maintainence schedules and service record tracking for assets.

2. Fleet Management Module:
    -Tracking fleet movement ( distance covered, fuel consumption, Calculation of Mileage, performance of drivers)

3. Easy to use bank reconciliation tool.

1 Like

Documentation for developers to contribute to and extend Erpnext

Feel free to use it!

If the user doesn’t have permission to directly edit files a fork is created and changes are done there.

From the GUI you can create a pull request from your fork into upstream branch

1 Like

Sorry if I leave a little bit of the purpose of the question, but I am completing a long research on tools and would like to share some suggestions.

After all, ERPNext + Frappe + Schools was an option I had a lot of appreciation for.

1. It’s scary for an “outsider” to choose a solution based on Python 2. Migration to Python 3 would bring more confidence in the freshness of the code. Even more, it would be an opportunity to revise and update it, bringing more stability (something very requested above), performance, confidence and ability to attract developers (it is very difficult to hire young people to work with “almost deprecated” technologies).

2. Content management, CMS + DAM + ECM, is central to today’s businesses. Most data from an ERP comes from the Web as well as from smartphone applications. Especially, there is a lot of talk about decoupled CMSs. Odoo incorporated a coupled site builder, supported by a relational database. In my point of view It would be a huge leap of vision if ERPNext started to think about integration with some decoupled CMS, preferably based on a content repository like Alfresco or similar. I am suggesting not to develop a new module, but to select an open source solution to be integrated. Both would benefit. An architecture that I think is fantastic is craftercms.org.

3. For the same reason, a strong integration with e-commerce (EShop + PIM) is of extreme importance.

I can not contribute as a programmer, but I leave here my two cents as a user and a system evaluator.
And I hope I can use ERPNext in the near future!

Best Regards.

1 Like

We are talking to ourselves here Dear ERPNEXT DEVELOPERS you can not expect developers to join erpnext without proper documentation

How can we help you if you do not help us

Stop development and write documentation look at how other projects have done it and learn from them.

I’m on the way to moving back to Odoo since you can get some ground through books and online manual without spending half your day looking on forum and asking questions on it.

3 Likes

I’m new to ERPNext but I’ve been doing heavy BPMN development for almost two years. As I’m learning ERPNext I keep thinking a BPMN engine would be a great fit for controlling documents.

For example:

(This might not be the best way to architect that particular process. I just made that as a quick example).

The nice thing about BPM is that it provides the ability to place code within the BPMN document. So the “Get Items from Sales Order” could include the Python code within the BPMN doc.

Maybe someday I’ll code a proof-of-concept when I’m past the newbie stage. :slight_smile:

3 Likes