ERPNext, how to get the beste stable system with long term support?

Hello User,

which is the best solution, combination ERPNext - Linux Distribution to get a stable, long term ERPNext System?

Is Docker the best solution?
https://hub.docker.com/

My favorite at this time is Debian 10 with ERPNext 12 ?
What is the developer recommendation?

Greetz

jannis

Just my opinion here… But, installing onto a KVM type VPS is probably the best way to keep a long term installation.

This allows you to increase server resources (CPU, RAM, SSD) without affecting the running server. When you have been running a ERPNext server for a long time you might actually wind up growing the business that it supports and therefore need to be able to expand the system resources to meet the increased demand.

Docker images tend to try to keep everything in the container (including the database) and at some point it will become to large to handle within the container.

There are several ways to setup a container that would allow for the database to be in a separate server, but if you are going to go that far then why not just be simple about it and install from scratch on a good VPS.

This way, if you discover a problem in the installation later you can fix it yourself. In a docker image that is not really an option.

BKM

1 Like

Is there any docs on separating db to a different server?

Hello Not_a_countant, at this time i have nothing.
I want learn to use ERPnext for a two man company from my friend.

Thank you

jannis

If you only want it long enough to learn to use it, then the docker image is going to be just fine. Bitnami has one that you can just run with and there are a few other similar options available in the official images.

If you want to really make use of it in a production environment, then lease yourself an inexpensive VPS server and run through the Easy Install. You will learn a great deal about how the system works and how to maintain it for long term usage.

O think I paid about $6 per month for a KVM type VPS server with 2 CPU, 4gb RAM, and 35GB SSD from company called DesiVPS. The server is in Los Angeles and it performs well for the cheap price. It is a great way to get started learning.

I have other faster and better provisioned production servers with other VPS vendors, but you may not need a great deal of power at first and you can always setup another one on a different server later and transfer the data and support files using the “scp” command.

BKM

Hello, and my first questions?

My favorite at this time is Debian 10 with ERPNext 12 ?
What is the developer recommendation?

I want to create my own server setup.

This ist a goog tutorial, but not official from the ERPNext Developer:

https://murgatroyd.za.net/?p=764

Bitnami doesn’t offer Debian 10 oder Ubuntu 18.04.3 with ERPNext 12.

What is the standard configuration from the developer?

Greets

jannis

1 Like

Myself I just got VSCode remote debug working and appreciate this MS contribution! https://code.visualstudio.com/docs/remote/remote-overview

See also VSCode Debugging for Frappe Python · frappe/erpnext Wiki · GitHub

While I am not Docker literate, KVM gets my vote - like VirtualBox, KVM supports snapshots that can be saved and restored, that are ideal to iterate and test.

Note too that KVM constantly saves current memory and file system state, so in the event the host environment crashes, the VM can be restarted and it’s state is intact to resume work.

I am currently figuring out Bringing back UI Tests using Cypress

1 Like

Sorry for the late reply. Sign up for a trial account on ERPNext for a monthly account. For 14 days it’s free. After that, you can get a paid account. What do you plan to do after you learn it?

Hello, i don’t have internet at every time.

https://erpnext.org/download

Download Virtual Machines

Production Image

Stable build for Production use (Master Branch) (approx 1.5GB)

ERPNext-Production-20190616131532-disk001.vdi

If i use this VM i get the old Ubuntu 16.04 LTS .

Which actual default Linux Distribution use the ERPNext use the developer?

:slight_smile:
jannis

Hello, is this qeustion to difficult?

How is the best way to contact the developer?

jannis

This might help Remote Database Setup - #6 by saidsl

Basically,

1. after creating a backup of the local DB (mysqldump or use something like Sequel Pro)
  2. restore to the the remove DB
  3. Follow the steps in above post

Hope it helps.

1 Like

Which distribution should i prefer?

Debian 10, Ubuntu 18.04, CentOS 8, CentOS 7?

Hello, have everyone testing ERPNext with CentOS 8?
CentOS 8 is my favorit because the EOS is 31 May 2029.

Thanks

jannis

---------------------
Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS
EOS: April 2023
---------------------
Debian 10 
EOS: July 2022 (LTS July 2024)
---------------------
CentOS 7
EOL: 30 June 2024
---------------------