ERPNext hardware requirements

Hello All ,
I proposed Epnext solution to a company with 3000+ employee ,
they asked me questions about HW and SW for deploying it into their servers .
I can answer them but i need the opinion of the community and their answer if they were in my place

1- What are the required HW specs required for the Machines (App, DB, Front end server) ?
2- What is the SW required for servers as well ?
3- What is Backup methodology that ERP is following ?
4- What are the expected maximum number of users will connect to each server ?
5- What are the security concerns we can face with the current design ?
6- Can we lock the front end server from privileged users ?
7- Can we lock the front end server front changes on the SW level ?

What would you suggest?

2 Likes

Hello,

I am not expert in security, but I am trying to give you answer based on my experience as End User.

1- What are the required HW specs required for the Machines (App, DB, Front end server) ?
Ans: Ubuntu/Cent OS installed with minimum 4GB RAM and 40GB hard disk.
You need more space if you are using large file attachment.

2- What is the SW required for servers as well ?
Ans: Frappe take care of all dependency

3- What is Backup methodology that ERP is following ?
Ans: One backup is taken after every 6 hour, you can also configure daily dropbox and AWS backup

4- What are the expected maximum number of users will connect to each server ?
Ans: No such limit. Also you can easily increase server configuration when you find server running slow.

5- What are the security concerns we can face with the current design ?
And - Frappe has Roles and User Permission Manager to show/hide record for particular user. (It may has security concerns which applicable to any cloud host/linux server, but you do/hire some expert into this)
For more details please see this: You are putting yourself and your data at risk

Can you explain what you want to achieve?

Can you explain what you want to achieve?

Thanks,
Sambhaji

I’m new to Erpnext, and trying to find a complete answer for those questions but unfortunately i can’t find complete answers till now and i’m really lost.

@kolate_sambhaji i find your answers have some indications which make the main image a little bit clearer.

@rmehta first of all, want to show my impressing of your work with your team for this great product,
and could you guide me, is there anywhere in documentation or a blog post give clear answers for those questions something we can follow like equations for how many concurrent users for specific hardware, and if there is no documentation for this, i appreciate your answer because i’m try to decide to use it for one of my friends business which is the first time i use Erp Solution. and i can’t figure the hardware required.

Thanks in Advance

How many users / concurrent users do you expect?

@rmehta
just to be clear you mean by users the people who interact with the system not the employees registered in the system?

users will interact with the application will be around 60

and the concurrent users around 30

4GB 2-core VM should be fine to start with

3 Likes

1- For 3000+ users accessing the site We used 16 GB ram with Quad core server
2- as @kolate_sambhaji said Frappe take care of all dependency
3- Drop box and Aws but i hoped to learn how to configure Database replication on other servers @rmehta
4-Server with 16GB ram and Quad core stress test result gave us
–100000 login process done in less than 1 min (Bandwidth error shown in for more data)
–8000 file upload with 500 kb size in less than 1 min (Ram load show with more data)
thies stress test made by me hitting local server and gave almost the same result on Digitalocean droplet
5- Attachment Module (Allow all kind of files to be uploaded) Major security concern
can be fixed by adding the right validation (White list or Black list files) in hooks
i will share my code when it finished

No, in case of stopping the site from nginx rest app stop (i read frappe blog about the architecture they want to achieve by separating system component on several servers but unfortunately it not implemented yet … hope to hear about it soon )

and i still think frappe framework is one of the best system i worked with .
and i will still recommend it to my clients and employers ,
please correct me if missed in any points .
best regards
Ahmad

7 Likes

Hi @ahmad18189 how did you configure your server with 3000+ users?

I have an issue What is the proper configuration for a server with 3000 users?